A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

dungie79
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

+1 not invited

Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:00 pm

hey girls, hope someone can share some light on this.. a high school friend messaged me last night asking if she could bring her bf. I havent spoken to her for a while and wasnt really aware that she was dating someone and as I understand, its kinda new. I dont want to sound terrible, but I dont know this person, and im not sure if i feel like spending over $200 on him! and its not like she wont know anyone at all, she will know at least five others there and will be sititng on the same table. Im kinda at a loss at how to say, im sorry but he cant come...

dungie79
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Re: +1 not invited

Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:58 pm

Thanks Ashling, I will email her later with that response. I don't get people though. Another friend asked me if so and so could be invited. He is a great guy and would be a ball at the wedding, but I have met him twice! What gives ppl the nerve?
I think that because I also invited our mutual friend's partner, she assumed he could come too? The only +1s that are coming are those who live together or in a long term relationship... granted the fact that i havent met some of them either, mainly because I live overseas, but come on!!! one more stress that I really cant be bothered to deal with!

Neska

Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:59 pm

We had a shocking RSVP to our wedding, one of FH's friends that he never sees because he lives OS RSVP'd with a yes for himself, his girlfriend (who wasn't invited because we didn't know he had one), his mum, his brother and his brother's new girlfriend 8O
Apparently he has invited them all over to our wedding. We wrote him a very nice and apologetic letter explaining him the situation and that we could only have him only for number restrictions, explaining that we also want an intimate ceremony (with people that we know at least!) and that he will be very well looked after as he will know 10-15 people at the wedding....

We never heard back from him (it's been months now) so we are assuming none of them are coming :?:

hbm
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:55 am

Neska wrote:
We had a shocking RSVP to our wedding, one of FH's friends that he never sees because he lives OS RSVP'd with a yes for himself, his girlfriend (who wasn't invited because we didn't know he had one), his mum, his brother and his brother's new girlfriend 8O
Apparently he has invited them all over to our wedding. We wrote him a very nice and apologetic letter explaining him the situation and that we could only have him only for number restrictions, explaining that we also want an intimate ceremony (with people that we know at least!) and that he will be very well looked after as he will know 10-15 people at the wedding....

We never heard back from him (it's been months now) so we are assuming none of them are coming :?:

Unbelievable! The nerve of some people,that is just downright rude!

KG'sGirl
I need a title
I need a title

Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:10 am

Neska wrote:

That is shocking!

I would just explain that due to the reception venue and limited numbers you can't extend the invites to plus one's.

mskei

Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:34 am

I have a friend who lives overseas. She broke up with my housemate not too long ago (they were doing long-distance, had been together for 4-5 years). She emailed me asking something along the lines of "Can I bring a plus 1 to your wedding? I haven't decided who I will bring yet, I'm dating a few guys at the moment, I will decide closer to the date".

I didn't know what to say to that!!

Miss Michelle
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:42 am

I don't know how I would feel doing this but at my brother in law's wedding they went over with their numbers so made a "rule" if they hadn't met your partner you were welcome to bring them but you would then pay for them. They personally called the people who didn't have partners invited and they were all happy to do that so maybe that's an option?

stormageddon
♥ Mrs Weirdy ♥
♥ Mrs Weirdy ♥

Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:19 pm

+1's can be tricky, I am inviting all plus 1's that are in a committed relationship even if i havent met them.

What if my FH was invited to a wedding of one of his mates i had only met twice and I wasn't invited? i would be really upset.

dungie79
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:52 pm

Neska wrote:

The absolute cheek of some people! What makes people think thats its OK?

I am inviting some people that I dont know, purely based on the reason that they are in commited relatiosnhips and living together. I emailed her over the weekend, saying that I had no idea that she was in a relationship and unfortunately due to numbers, at the moment, he wont be able to attend. Im totally over it!! hahah, I just dont think that ppl realise how much stress brides to be go through!!!! Thanks anyone for your great advice!!!

falling_dawn
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:51 pm

here is a funny one I am inviting a +one of one of FH cousins who is invited because they are all too chicken to ring and find out if the girl she just bought a house with is her partner or a friend, I threatened to call and just ask and they all threw a tantrum and begged me to just put +1 on the invite as it would be "awkward " to ask , bloody homophobic inlaws :lol: :lol:
GZIP: On | Load: 0.22