A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

mskei
Topic Author

Do I need to specify a dress code?

Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:26 pm

Hi bellow B2Bs,

I am in the process of getting my invitations together and deciding on wording.

Should I include a dress code on the invitations? The last wedding I went to, the invitation specified a dress code (cocktail), but I don't recall that the invitations at the other weddings I attended specified a dress code. I am not sure whether it is necessary...my guests are the sort of people that will wear cocktail dresses and suits to a wedding (i.e no-one would rock up in jeans/sneakers).

What do you guys think?

misteri82
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: Do I need to specify a dress code?

Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:00 pm

I think it firstly depends on how much you would care if someone did turn up in jeans and sneakers! If you don't care, or if you do care but you trust your guests not to do that, then I think it's fine not to specify a dress code :)

mrsWtobe
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:06 pm

I agree with the above poster.

I personally think it is easier for your guests if you state what the dress code is. That way you take the guessing game out and people know what to wear.

KG'sGirl
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:31 pm

I think it makes the decision on what to wear easier for your guests if you state a dress code - then there is no wondering from guests. Plus it stops that one naive guest from turning up in jeans :lol:

Wombatta
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:05 pm

We did not specify a dress code on the invitations as we didn't see the need, and at our wedding everyone turned up in suits and formal wear.

I think it sounds like your friends and relatives will also dress appropriately, and if you don't feel the need then don't mention the dress code :D

Sharz
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:04 pm

I agree with all above posts, if you trust everyone to dress appropriately don't worry. I had dress code formal on My invites and still had 3 relatives all wearing jeans!

stormageddon
♥ Mrs Weirdy ♥
♥ Mrs Weirdy ♥

Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:39 pm

i would def put in a dress code, it saves any jeans and sneakers (unless you dont care) and also saves you being asked a hundred times over what the dress code is :)

_kate_

Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:28 pm

If you think anyone on your guestlist may dress inappropriately then it doesnt hurt to put it on.

mrcm1166
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:14 pm

as a guest I prefer a dress code to be included on the invite.
I normally dress appropriately for a wedding but a couple of times the friends who I thought were going to go formal ended up going casual and so many of us would of been overdressed and would of been uncomfortable in suits and cocktail dresses at a very casual reception that had hay bales for seats lol

Snowygem

Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:00 pm

I will be putting a dress code on our invites i think - but only so people dont think it is too formal lol. Dad has all been " do i need a tux" and im like no its not that fancy dad lol.

mskei
Topic Author

Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:13 am

Thanks guys.

I decided to specify a dress-code. A friend told me she didn't put a dress code on her invites for her wedding a few years ago, and had heaps of people asking what the dress code is.

KiteKatKJ

Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:34 pm

stormageddon wrote:
i would def put in a dress code, it saves any jeans and sneakers (unless you dont care) and also saves you being asked a hundred times over what the dress code is :)

I agree with stormageddon does save everyone asking you what the dress code is. Might get tedious....

Digitalista
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:18 pm

We put a dress code on. FH thinks people i.e. girls will turn up with dresses up to their hoo ha. I wanted to put semi formal but he won and we have formal. Now we are getting asked if you need tuxes and the whole 9 yards but we just expect suit and ties with girls dressed respectably.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.13