A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Surprisebride2013
Topic Author

Surprise wedding

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Hi everyone
I'm new on here and was wanting a bit of input.
We are getting married but nobody knows it's a surprise wedding. We are inviting everyone to our engagement party and somehow then announcing "surprise it's a wedding"
Has anyone been to a wedding like this if so how was the "surprise" announced? I'm still have the dress etc so I'll run off and get changed.
I'm so excited I can't wait.
Last edited by Surprisebride2013 on Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StephMT
Can't wait to set a date
Can't wait to set a date

Re: Surprise wedding

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:42 pm

I have never been to one, but in the past I've read others have called everyone around for the speeches and this is when the celebrant announces that everyone is actually here for a wedding

Surprisebride2013
Topic Author

Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:42 pm

Yeah that's a good idea. I was thinking about using the excuse that I'd left my speech in the hotel room then I would go and get changed into my wedding dress.

StephMT
Can't wait to set a date
Can't wait to set a date

Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:22 pm

Surprisebride2013 wrote:
Yeah that's a good idea. I was thinking about using the excuse that I'd left my speech in the hotel room then I would go and get changed into my wedding dress.

Most people I know got married at home if someone is looking for them they get told "they are just in the kitchen grabbing a dish" or "she's just gone to the bathroom" that sort of thing.

Surprisebride2013
Topic Author

Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:03 pm

Our "engagement party" is at a private bar so my idea is to announce speeches but dam I forgot my speech run over and get it but quickly change into my dress then somehow while I'm changing they will announce "surprise it's a wedding"

Surprisebride2013
Topic Author

Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:44 am

Yeah I have thought about that if people don't come to the "engagement party" but I think we will be ok. Our families know its a wedding and our overseas guests know so it should all be ok. There might be one or 2 people that don't come but thats their bad luck. We see it as its not about eveyrone else its about "US" thats all thats important. The important people will be there.

The reason we are doing it this way as a surprise is I want my dress but thats it the rest we do not want. We don't want the stress and all the other stuff that goes with a normal wedding. Its either this or we elope. At least this way our friends and families can be there.

oohlalisha
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:58 am

I love the surprise idea - FH and I had been toying with it. So much in fact that we recently had a family gathering (both sides)at my parent's place for FH's birthday. My SIL had a gown all laid out and ready to go at her home around the corner just in case we decided to get married that night!

It sounds like you've got the important parts under control. I'll be you'll look fantastic and it will be received well - good luck and I can't wait to hear how it goes!

Surprisebride2013
Topic Author

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:34 am

Thats the thing the important people will be there and thats what counts. If people don't come because its an engagement party then thats there bad luck. I am not worrying about anyone else its me and my FH thats matter :D

I would highly recommend the surprise weddign idea. My list of things to organise are so small its so much less stress.
All that I have had to organise is
Dresses (2 dresses because one for engagement and one for wedding what girl doesn't want 2 new dresses?)
Suit and shoes for FH
Rings
celebrant
photographer
venue
cake
invites

Thats its thats all I need to organise.
And I am so excited and can't wait to see everyones reaction they are going to be so happy for us.
We have written our own vows and I can't wait to hear what FH has written and I just can't wait.
My sister got married last year and it was so stressful and so expensive I don't want all that stuff.

Surprisebride2013
Topic Author

Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:19 pm

We have got witnesses organised my sister and his sister so thats all under control because they all know about it.

Now I am just waiting a little inpatiently for my dresses.
Last edited by Surprisebride2013 on Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Surprisebride2013
Topic Author

Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:36 pm

Don't get me wrong all of our friends and family are important and I would love them all to be there but if anyone isn't its not going to ruin the best day of my life.
I will have to explain to everyone how important this is to us and that we want everyone to be there so we are inviting about 60 people and we are expecting maybe 50 to come. I can turn up the persuasion :D
We are in our early 30's so most of our friends are already married so we don't really any other weddings going on right now the cycle goes in waves most of our friends are having babies at the moment so we shouldnt get trumped by another wedding we will see how things go I am not worrying about any of that what ever happens happens all I do know is I am marrying the love of my life.
Last edited by Surprisebride2013 on Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrcm1166
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:45 pm

welcome and wishing you the best for your upcoming wedding, and you are right it is about you and your future hubby, so many people around us have got married in the last couple of years and have lost that important part, that its not about the party or impressing everyone its about the committment you guys have decided on.
its our second marriage for both so our wedding is a quiet registry office (or maybe just in our backyard, that idea is getting tossed around at the moment) we will have our adult children and our grandkids who are all flying in from interstate and just having a very quiet lunch and catch up. I am looking at dresses online, nothing too flash but still want something nice.
my oldest son is walking with me down the aisle and my youngest son will be my witness while my partners daughter will be his, the only "attendants" we are having is our grandson and grand daughter who will walk down before me. My niece is also attending and shes a photographer so thats all sorted.
Its nice not to have all the stress of organising something bigger

Surprisebride2013
Topic Author

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:29 pm

That's right to not have all the stress is great. And with not anyone really knowing there is no extra stress tree either. I do t have to worry about bridesmaids and hurting anyone feelings don't have to worry about decorations and seating plans its so much better and we get to enjoy our moment.
People may not agree with the way we are doing it but it's what we want so that's the most important thing. :D

SameName

Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:29 pm

I definitely recommend the surprise wedding!
We did the same thing in June this year. We had our engagement party and around an hour into it I disappeared
and got in my wedding dress.
It was so much fun, everyone loved it. Especially my husband and I which is the main thing.
I wouldn't change anything about our day!

Surprisebride2013
Topic Author

Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:34 pm

Hi Samename
Yeah that is exactly what we are doing after about an hour I will go and get changed into my dress.
How did you announce it was a wedding?
Did you have issues about anyone not coming?

EmmaCupcake
Formerly known as MrsH
Formerly known as MrsH

Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:36 am

I think it's a great idea! FH & I also thought about doing it, but then we would be going against mums rule of not getting married for one year and since we live with her it's her rules under her roof :lol:
Plus I decided that since FH & I only plan to ever do this once (neither of us believe in divorce) we might as well make the effort, especially since all my family are overseas and I pretty much only see them when they visit (I've only been back twice and there was a 10 year gap) which is practically never :lol:

I think there is no 'right' way for doing things, I would be happy to just do something small in my backyard but doing the big thing for us is going to be right for us, and your surprise wedding will be right for you :D
After all, at the end of the day it is just about you & your FH and what is truly important is the marriage, not the wedding.....a way of thinking that sometimes used to get me into trouble since I never used to want the fancy dress etc :lol:

Surprisebride2013
Topic Author

Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:26 am

When I was single I always thought that I wanted the biggest wedding when and if I ever did it again. I wanted the BIG WHITE wedding with all the trimmings it was going to be massive. I wanted to do it the way I wanted rather than to please everyone else. I told all my friends thats was what I wanted when I got married again.
But then I met the man of my dreams the love of my life and all the stuff that I thought I wanted went out the window. I don't want all the trimmings I don't want the big wedding I just want it to be about us and our commitment to each other. We thought about going to Vegas or Thailand then coming back and having a party but then we talked about it and decided that we would like to have our friends there and be a part of our special day so thats when the surprise wedding idea came up. We get to have our friends and families there I get to have my DREAM dress but we do not have to have the stress and pressure or worry about all the other stuff that comes with a normal wedding.

I have ordered my DREAM dress online I am so excited I found it in a shop but then found is so much cheaper online so now I am anxiously waiting for that only 102 days 8 hours and 4 minutes to go till it arrives.

So now I also have to wait for my engagement ring and until we are "officially engaged" so not only is our wedding a surprise even our engagement party is a surprise at the moment till I get that ring on my finger. Once I have that ring then I can tell people that we are having an engagement party and the invites can go out then it might feel more real thats this is really happening.
Last edited by Surprisebride2013 on Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sallyrathidge

Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:06 am

Not sure if this is quite the same but I saw this youtube video recently which might give you some ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53-6dPB1hkg

Surprisebride2013
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:23 pm

Thanks sallyrathidge - was great to watch what a surprise but ours isn't like that.
That video the bride didn't know it was a wedding the guests did where as ours we know its the guests that will be surprised.

Bride2Be

Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:39 pm

Just popping in to see if this Surprise wedding has happened yet and how it all went?
We're considering doing this at the moment.. Would love to hear how it went!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.08