A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Miss Michelle
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author

Throwing the Bouquet?

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:08 am

Sorry if this has already been covered, but what are people's thoughts on throwing the bouquet? Most weddings I have been to the bride throws the bouquet and I think it's a bit of fun at the end of the night. Now I am thinking about our wedding I'm not sure I really want to throw away my bouquet considering all the time I have put into choosing it and that it is costing almost $200 8O But when I thought about it - what am I going to do with it otherwise? We are staying in a hotel the night after the wedding then going away for a week and our close family members are staying locally also.

And what happens to the rest of the flowers? It seems such a shame to just throw them out...

StephMT
Can't wait to set a date
Can't wait to set a date

Re: Throwing the Bouquet?

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:16 am

Miss Michelle wrote:
Sorry if this has already been covered, but what are people's thoughts on throwing the bouquet? Most weddings I have been to the bride throws the bouquet and I think it's a bit of fun at the end of the night. Now I am thinking about our wedding I'm not sure I really want to throw away my bouquet considering all the time I have put into choosing it and that it is costing almost $200 8O But when I thought about it - what am I going to do with it otherwise? We are staying in a hotel the night after the wedding then going away for a week and our close family members are staying locally also.

And what happens to the rest of the flowers? It seems such a shame to just throw them out...

Most florists give you a smaller version as a throw away bouquet. As to the rest of the flowers - You'll find alot of family members like to take centerpieces home with them. I was BM at a wedding earlier in the year and I took my bouquet home with me. It lasted a week

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:29 am

Yes, a lot of florists include a 'toss' bouquet.

As we were leaving on our honeymoon I gave my bouquet to some 'distinguished' guests who proudly displayed it until it died.

KateM
It's between Me and Steve McQueen
It's between Me and Steve McQueen

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:31 am

I didn't throw mine because I personally hate participating in bouquet tosses. I have my throwaway to my grandma.

stormageddon
♥ Mrs Weirdy ♥
♥ Mrs Weirdy ♥

Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:16 pm

It is completely up to you if you want to throw a bouquet however most brides have a different smaller bouquet that they throw in place of their real one so you can kind have your cake and eat it too ;)

Lanta Bride
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:29 pm

We make complimentary throwaway bouquets at my work, maybe ask your florist if they offer this too, or if they can throw one in for free. it shouldn't really cost them any more as it is generally made from a few excess flowers and foliage that aren't perfect enough for the proper bouquets.
Like the others have said, the bride often gives away her centrepieces at the end of the night to special guests. You could have your MC announce it. If you are hiring vases etc for the centrepieces that need to be returned to the florist/stylist then just have the MC mention that these cannot be taken, or you will be charged for them. I have seen it happen way too often with greedy guests!!

Wand33
I need a title
I need a title

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:49 am

Lanta Bride wrote:
Like the others have said, the bride often gives away her centrepieces at the end of the night to special guests. You could have your MC announce it. If you are hiring vases etc for the centrepieces that need to be returned to the florist/stylist then just have the MC mention that these cannot be taken, or you will be charged for them. I have seen it happen way too often with greedy guests!!

Hijack, but I'm worried this will happen with our wedding too! We bought solar powered lanterns for our wedding decor and we're keeping them and some are going to our bridal party and parents as gifts, dont want just anyone taking them!

amz86
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:25 am

im throwing mine but i am making mine and etc. If i was spending $200 on a bouquet i wouldnt throw it. For that price your florist should really be giving you a throw away one. I went to a wedding where the bride threw a rly nice plastic bouquet.

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:11 am

Well the girl who caught the bouquet at our wedding got engaged on the weekend. I know its a silly tradition, but I still feel kind of chuffed!

Miss Michelle
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author

Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:40 am

L.I.W wrote:
Well the girl who caught the bouquet at our wedding got engaged on the weekend. I know its a silly tradition, but I still feel kind of chuffed!

Aww that is awesome! I feel like I should do it now ;)

Wand33
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:57 pm

I'm putting R100 in mine haha that'll encourage people to participate!

Im requesting all the women get up and participate, and promoting it more as a good wishes thing if you catch it vs "you're the next to get enagaged/married" :)

Digitalista
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:30 pm

I did it and I thought it was fun. Especially as my MOH caught it. Her bf caught the garter :D :D still waiting for that one to come true

snoopkat
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:39 pm

My florist gave me the choice of a complimentary toss bouquet or extra buttonholes for the men. I wasn't planning on throwing the bouquet anyway so I opted for the buttonholes.

EnglishCountryRose
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:04 pm

Like a lot of the girls here I threw a small complimentary bouquet that the florist included in our package. It was a lot of fun! We also opted to get my bridal bouquet and husband's buttonhole preserved. It is expensive but we thought definitely worth it. When you spend such a lot of money on flowers and they are such a important representation of your day/theme etc, we thought it would be lovely to keep them. We used money from our 'wishing well' to put towards it which means that our guests will be able to see what they contributed to when they come to visit. We also asked our MC to mention that guests could take the table flowers home with them if they wanted to. Hope that helps Miss Michelle!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.22