A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

never too old
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Re: Thinking of your Guests

Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:25 am

wow! and here was I thinking that a wedding was about celebrating the love you have for each other with your family and friends - whoops - lol.

:wink:

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:13 am

Ha ha, had you been in Adelaide and it had been a few months ago I would have assumed we were at the same wedding! I went to one also where the photos went from 1pm to 6pm - 5 hours. A bit short oft he six yours had, but still. I was exhausted after 2 hours of photos! How do people do more than that!?

stormageddon
♥ Mrs Weirdy ♥
♥ Mrs Weirdy ♥

Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:09 pm

they ate your entree? sorry don't know why i am stuck on that amongst all the other terribly self important issues....

how rude to constantly make it known you EXPECT a gift or money and then not even talk to your guests? seems like their wedding was all about money and photos so they can forever look back at the day and say look what gifts we got and look how pretty I was?

dungie79
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:11 pm

I just got married last week and wanted to add in my two cents worth about the guests and how they should be treated IMO.

A bus from the city was provided as a free option to all of the guests, because I wanted them to enjoy the day as much as possible, without worrying about getting lost or driving. The ceremony and the reception was located in the same place, so no need to travel. The ceremony started at 4pm and finished at about 4:30pm. After everyone chatting it was time for the cocktail hour whist we were taking photos. Reception started at 6pm and finished at 10pm. Speeches were super quick and everyone had a chance to have a boogie of they wanted. I provided toiletries in the bathrooms just in case and seems everyone appreciated them. I made a point of going to each table and chatting with everyone for a while, even though the staff told us numerous times, that our food was getting cold! I didnt care about that.. I can eat anytime, catching up with everyone was more important. We had a wishing well, but made no mention of it, even with the sign, because I think that its in bad taste (even having a wishing well there at all, was no my thing but anyway..). I would never have dreamt of disappearing with my DH for that long time! You have the rest of your life with that person, why give up precious time with your guests who have come to see you?!

I don't want to come across as cocky or thinking that my day was perfect for the guests, but I guess that my point is that although, its a day of celebration for the couple, its also a day to celebrate WITH your guests, not treating them as money givers or numbers to look good. I was so grateful for every single person that attended the wedding and so glad that they were able to save the day with me. Isn't that what it is about? I dont live in Australia, so it meant the world to me that people came. I wanted to make everyone feel as comfortable and to enjoy the day as much as possible.

I feel so sorry for people who have to go through the opposite!

thousand_words
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:28 pm

Oh wow that is super rude! Being so presumptuous in regards to an over abundance of gifts but then spend barely any time with the guests after getting them to wait 6 hours with not even a canape? FH and I are forming our wedding to definitely spend time with everyone. That wedding was rude.

KG'sGirl
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:37 pm

dungie79 wrote:
I guess that my point is that although, its a day of celebration for the couple, its also a day to celebrate WITH your guests, not treating them as money givers or numbers to look good. I was so grateful for every single person that attended the wedding and so glad that they were able to save the day with me. Isn't that what it is about?

:tick: :tick:

I think it is incredibly rude what the Bride and Groom did at that wedding. Getting married shouldn't be about the gifts - it should be about celebrating your relationship, love and new marriage.

sachick90
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:43 pm

Wow that sounds terrible, as everyone else has said a wedding should not be about how much money you want/get, but about getting married and entertaining and chatting to guests. For me this was extremely important, I made a point to talk to everyone at the reception as everyone attended both
GZIP: On | Load: 0.03