A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

RitaJane
Topic Author

How do you ask some one to be a bridesmaid?

Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:41 pm

Ok so I never had many female friends, but I went to uni with some great girls and I have become friends with one of my FH's female friends. I am really nervous though about asking them to be bridesmaids. I feel like I'm asking the most popular girl in school to the formal. Did any one else experience this? How did you ask people without feeling embarrassed?

EmmaCupcake
Formerly known as MrsH
Formerly known as MrsH

Re: How do you ask some one to be a bridesmaid?

Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:50 pm

I know a few people have gotten small gifts with a little note which mentions their friendships etc.
I was lazy and just sent a text (because I don't see one of them often) :lol:

stormageddon
♥ Mrs Weirdy ♥
♥ Mrs Weirdy ♥

Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:10 pm

It's not uncommon to feel nervous, i felt it too lol but you are asking them to share your day for a reason to remember its a compliment to ask them :)

Sonjeee

Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:25 am

I just recently sent out "Will you be my bridesmaid?" invitations to my 4 bridesmaids. They already sort of knew I'd picked them but I wanted them to get a nice surprise in the mail.

I made it funny, full of humour and something that they would get out of the letterbox and have a good laugh over, because that is how I wanted it to be - not too formal, very funny, very much "me".

The front cover I just did a photo of myself holding up a sign saying "Will you be my bridesmaid?" and just took it with the self timer on the camera then had it printed. The inside top cover I asked them whether they would promise to *insert lots of funny things here to do with bridesmaid duties and wedding day* and then in the inside bottom of the card I'd photoshopped the Bridesmaid movie poster with all of our heads, LOL, and did a funny yes/no tick box answer.

They all LOVED it! :D

EmmaCupcake
Formerly known as MrsH
Formerly known as MrsH

Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:10 am

I should add, the only reason I sent a text was that I'm not officially asking until about June, once most things are done and so I have time to get to know someone I'd like to ask. When I officially ask the bridal party I will be getting the girls an engagement ring keychain which will have a tag asking them to be my bridesmaid. One of them will be getting it as part of her wedding gift as she is getting married in August :)

KG'sGirl
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:49 pm

I'm doing a Bridemaid's Box - here is the blog I got the idea off:
http://www.rinserepeatblog.com/2011/10/faq.html

Teska
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:18 am

I met up with each person separately (either to a bar or coffee) and just asked straight out. I didn't buy any gifts when I asked but I intend to give them a gift set each (that I will put together myself) as a thank you for everything on the wedding day and I am paying for dress, shoes, hair and makeup. I was so nervous though! I felt like I was asking each one of them to marry me haha but luckily they were all very excited and said yes.

miss_summer
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:48 pm

Well my two lovely cousins, who are closer than sisters (like the little one (she's 14) has a room at FH and my house and the other and I are the same age and shared a bedroom from 13 onwards as she lived with my family) had kind of just assumed...lol, got to love having sisters so close that they just ignore the common manners of it all.

My 3rd BM is a close friend and I waited until she was telling me about what she wanted to wear to the wedding, and I subtly said that sorry, it wouldn't work as all the BM's were wearing a different colour and watched it dawn on her what I was saying, before asking her if she wanted to be. She then cried and I had to make endless wedding jokes to make her stop.

hbm
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:07 pm

As all 3 of my bridemaids were overseas (and I hadn't seen them in a couple of years), I handmade them each a card with a lovely little verse inside telling them how much they meant to me & how much I wanted them to be part of my big day. Then I skyped them & had them open it so I could see their reaction.
Needless to say, there were lots of tears!!

EnglishCountryRose
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:31 pm

I asked my sister by giving her a little pink angel ornament which had a letter at the back saying how much she meant to me and how important she was in my life, and asked if she would be my maid of honour. My best friend and my future sister in law, I asked in person doing a shorter version of the letter I had given to my sister. They all said yes, but I understand the nerves! For most people though it is a real honour to be asked because it such an important role. Good luck!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.2