A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

heartstringz
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Leaving reception early

Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:53 am

Just wondering what you all think about this?

A family member is getting married on a Sunday. Both DH & I have to work on the monday as we are unable to get the time off. The wedding is about two hours drive away from home. It is an afternoon ceremony with an evening reception.

Do you think it's ok for us to stay for the dinner part of the reception and then leave? Does that sound reasonable? Would you be ok with it if it was your wedding? These family members stayed for the entire reception at our wedding so I feel a little guilty about having to leave half way through.

KG'sGirl
I need a title
I need a title

Re: Leaving reception early

Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:17 pm

I think it's understandable. I would try and stay till the first dance if I could and farewell the couple before I left.

We are having a Sunday wedding on the long weekend for this reason.

wickie08
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:55 am

I think its ok. I would stay for the dance, cake cutting and speeches though. I agree that if you have a sunday wedding with an evening reception you kind of need to expect that people will go early.

snoopkat
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:36 pm

I think it's ok as long as you give the couple early notice (i.e. now rather than on the wedding night itself). If you can't stay for all the important moments, try and stay for the speeches at least.

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:21 pm

We had a Sunday wedding and expected people to leave early. We had the first dance done by 9pm and people started leaving then.

EnglishCountryRose
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:39 pm

misspony wrote:
I agree with the other ladies.... it is ok, but I would be telling the bride and groom asap that as much as you would love to stay late, it just isn't feasible, but that you are really happy to be able to share the wedding and some of the reception with them.

Agreed! I don't think there is any problem with needing to leave early but it's probably nice to give the bride and groom a head's up so they are expecting it.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.08