A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

proud_darwinite
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: July 2010

Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:53 pm

cdnbride wrote:
Hi! Just found this thread, I'm also getting married July 31. My FH is Australian, and we live here, but I'm Canadian and so we're getting married in Montreal where my family and most of my friends are. Organising things from here can be a little tricky. I'm also in Alice Springs, and our range for wedding dresses is a bit limited... I've decided to buy a duosheng dress because I really cannot justify $2000-$3000 for something I will only wear a few hours, but I still need to try on the dresses I'm interested in, to make sure I do like them (they look slightly different on waffer-thin models in magazines). Has anyone else bought a dress that they haven't tried on? I've tried on Ella and Essence gowns, both I really liked, but I like part of one and part of another. There's a Maggie Sottero gown that seems to incorporate both parts of the other dresses, but no supplier in Alice. What do you think?

Other than that latest drama, I've booked the recpetion and ceremony venue (outside at a Maple Sugar Venue, with beatiful gardens) as well as the DJ, the minister and the photographer (but now I'm having second thoughts about him, as I can't see his portfolio and have to rely on online galleries).

have you thought of going on a wedding shopping holiday to melbourne or sydney to look for your gown? or even brisbane? If you look out for flight specials it can be not too exy. Or even if you came up to darwin you might be able to find something. I've heard a lot of people have used duosheng dresses though and been quite happy with them. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Canada in July will be lovely. Though I have only been to Toronto area....lol

cdnbride

Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:56 pm

Yah I'm considering a trip over xmas, but then you factor in the hotel, food and flight... and then I just got my samples from duosheng and I'm not sure what to do. The samples I ordered were all white or ivory or close. But the samples I got were all black, dark blue, pink or green. I checked the samples again on the computer and the numbers I ordered all look white, definitely not black and blue. I was really interested in buying my dress with duosheng, but if the samples are all wrong, I would be really worried about ordering the dress. I don't know if paying $3000 would be worth not worrying for a few months... hmmm.

Hey proud-darwinite, apparently there is a Maggie Sottero agent in darwin, have you ever tried them on? There's one I especially like but we don't have them here and sometimes they look so different on waffer-thin, touched-up models. :)

proud_darwinite
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:28 am

cdnbride wrote:
Yah I'm considering a trip over xmas, but then you factor in the hotel, food and flight... and then I just got my samples from duosheng and I'm not sure what to do. The samples I ordered were all white or ivory or close. But the samples I got were all black, dark blue, pink or green. I checked the samples again on the computer and the numbers I ordered all look white, definitely not black and blue. I was really interested in buying my dress with duosheng, but if the samples are all wrong, I would be really worried about ordering the dress. I don't know if paying $3000 would be worth not worrying for a few months... hmmm.

Hey proud-darwinite, apparently there is a Maggie Sottero agent in darwin, have you ever tried them on? There's one I especially like but we don't have them here and sometimes they look so different on waffer-thin, touched-up models. :)

Hey cdnbride,
I think "the big day" is a maggie sottero agent in Darwin?? I haven't tried on anything from her, but I'm getting her to do the alterations on my dress. I ordered my dress online (I got a massive saving) from a store in America. It took about 3 months to be made (in China), sent to the store in America and then sent to me. I just follwed the sizing on the site. It fits pretty good and was exactly as shown in the picture on their site :)
I think it depends what style dress you are after. Some styles look great on any figure :) but I find I can't really wear anything that doesn't have a shape to it itself, otherwise it clings to all the wrong bits lol So I ordered a dress that is fitted around the upper part and then comes out a bit at the hips (but not too much). If you try to stick to a style you would normally wear (but on a grander scale cuz its your wedding dress!) then you should be able to be confident that it will look great! :)
Serina (from the big day) also told me though, that if you have a good seamstress she/he should be able to make any style look great on any shape...not sure I belive her though lol
Maybe you could contact duosheng and ask them if there was a mix up with your samples?

Breesmum
I survived and got married

Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:06 am

cdn bride sorry to hear about your mix up with the samples. I would email them and see if they can send you out the right ones.
I got two taffeta samples off a fellow WC'er which is what i was after. My trouble will be the bm's. They have both offered to pay for their dresses and are getting them in different styles. I just want to make sure that i get both of them in the same purple or it will look odd.

Not sure if any of you read my other post in the vent vault but turns out my dad has said no to giving me away and coming. Was pretty gutted last night but i've now taken the approach that its his loss and at the end of the day its not important to me. I had a friend who came over last night and she cheered me up watching first wedding dances lol. Has anyone seen the evolution of dance wedding dance? I could so see my fh doing that lol.

Not much else happening. Trying to get xmas out of the way before i start getting all the wedding stuff.

cdnbride

Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:43 pm

Oh no Breesmum, that's so sad, but then as you said, it's his loss and your day will be special no matter what.

I have seen some of those wedding dance videos, but I can never download more than 20seconds, because my internet, which is suppose to be fast, is provided by telstra and just frustrating! But from what I have been able to see, they are really great :)

Not sure what to do about the dresss, will think a bit this weekend and see...

christabelle
C-WOWW
C-WOWW

Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:06 pm

Hi ladies! I am getting married on 4 July 2010 in Bris.

CDNBRIDE have you considered ordering a real maggie dress from an online website like bridalnet or jaysbridal? The dollar is awesome at the moment and I agree there would be less worry than if you ordered a deoschung dress? If you could try a Maggie dress on that you liked, they are A LOT cheaper from the USA - it could be shipped to your family in Canada maybe? I was originally considering doing this however ended up finding the maggie dress on sale in Australia and the dollar was not very good at the time.

Breesmum

Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:18 pm

hey christabelle, nice of you to join :)

i think i may have found my jewellery for the day. I'm not too sure on the necklace yet but if not then i can where it some other time. Its from an Avon catalogue (sad i know) so when i get it i will take some pics.
Trying to organise with my friend to go to the hotel and take some photos of the ceremony location. We've been looking at arches and stuff so want to do some play around on photoshop.

have also been deliberating with fh about our thankyou gifts. He wants to do cleanskins with personalised labels whereas i was more heading to DIY drink coasters that we personalise to suit our theme. He thinks that they are tacky. Heres the link, what do you think? http://www.stylemepretty.com/2009/03/30/diy-coasters/

We have also asked a friend of ours to be MC and they were happy to accept so thats one other thing ticked off. Today i'm booking in for our night before accomm and have also had confirmed our wedding night accomm. So all slowly starting to come together. I'm feeling really eager to order my dress but just need to get christmas over and done with first. I also need to give my bm's a deadline for their dresses too. they are both buying their own in the shade that i choose.

I've set up my s&t link is in my sig. We are kind of going for a tropical glow kind of theme, i guess you could call. let me know what you think.

christabelle
C-WOWW
C-WOWW

Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:01 pm

The coasters are very cute! I think either present is nice however a coaster will last longer than a bottle of wine?

Breesmum

Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:44 pm

i think it will last longer. I'm going to do a trial run of them and then see how we go.

Breesmum

Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:30 am

hey just bumping this back up.

how is everyone going?

we've decided on our cake and cake topper so thats another thing out of the way. I just have to put in our order now.
Still need to organise flowers and sme appointments with florists but i think i'll do that after christmas. I'm still not sure whether to go fresh or fake so i'll weigh up the options after i've gotten some quotes and to see whats available.

have also bought a necklace and earring set that should be hear next week so i'm hoping that it works like i envisioned.

anyway was only meant to be on here doing banking so i should get back to the housework.

CarlaS

Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:32 pm

hi Ladies

I'm getting married on the 18th of July 2010.....

:heart

I'm so excited for that day as i will be able to start the new chapter of my life.

Is there anyone else getting married on that day :P

cdnbride

Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:54 pm

Hi ladies,
so sorry for not posting in a while... had to go home as my dad got sick and passed away. Wedding planning sort of took a back seat and I've avoided anything for the last two months, but yesterday and today I've spent the entire day on the internet searching, deciding and buying and it sort of feels fun again :) I've finally decided and ordered my dress, my BM dresses and FG dresses and decided upon most of the decorations.

My dress is a combination of two dresses that I'm having made by Duosheng and so that makes me a little nervous, but I'm ordering early incase anything goes wrong I'll have time to fix it :)

I also think I may give a go to making my own wedding cake - not really a budget decision I just think that since I'm going home to Canada and will be on vacation for a couple weeks it will give me something to do and make it a little more personal. However I need to research it a little and decide if I really want anything else to add to the pressure leading up to the wedding...

Hey does anyone know how to post pictures on here?

How is everyone else going with their plans?

christabelle
C-WOWW
C-WOWW

Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:48 pm

Hi ladies. If you go to write a new post and click on upload attachments you can browse to upload your photos.

I am wondering how the planning is going. basically I booked all the big stuff but the minor stuff I dont really care about and I'm lacking motivation to organise eg invitations, flowers, table decorations, etc etc. I have been putting it off until January and now it's january and i'm still lacking motivation. I've been on holidays overseas for 5 weeks so still in holiday mode and I'm NOT looking forward to reality setting in on Monday when I'm back to work *sigh*. I'm looking up invitation styles now. I know the ones I like but they're a bit $$ so trying to find an alternative but I might just go with the others because I do :heart: them. I'll quit rambling, just trying to motivate myself to organise a wedding!

Breesmum

Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:40 am

hey everyone,

haven't had a chance to get on here for a while. had the wedding stuff take a back seat for the whole christmas period but now we are into the 6 month of less countdown its going to be full on.

cdnbride i am so sorry to hear about your father. I was going to make my own wedding cake too but decided against it cause i didn't want that added pressure ontop of what i've already got. Congrats on the dresses.

I'm going to be getting mine made through duosheng aswell. im ordering at beginning of Feb though. Going to be getting a replica of a maggie sottero dress (janelle royale) without the beading/detailing on the bodice cause i think it looks urgh lol. I'm going into the bridal store again on Wednesday to try on dresses one last time so i know like really know that it is the right one for me and its what my heart says is right. I'm also going to be going to our ceremony location and taking some photos so i can get theme ideas going.

Even though its been quite, i've already organised our bonbonieres as of the weekend. We went up to Kuranda (which is near us) and they have a store up there where they make lollies. They gave us all free samples and we ended up buying bags of them. So going to do small boxes filled with mixed lollies. really going to keep it simple. I have also gotten my necklace and my hair clip plus the lovely undergarments (im going ugly with the tummy sucking in things lol). I still need to decide on flowergirl dresses too.

oh and i found out that a friend of ours, her mum used to be a florist and she is going to be doing the flowers for me. We have heaps of rose farms nearby so going to go and see what i can get.

Starting to feel so excited about it all and then i think ok so what do i do after?

night

catherineGC

Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:53 pm

Hey Ladies, i have just stumbed on this thread and felt compelled to join in! :D
Me and my finace are getting married on the 7th July (easy to remember) at Sea Temple Palm Cove.
I am pretty much organising everything from my computer @ home (Gold Coast Qld) and have already been up to Cairns a couple of times to check things out.
All planning going well so far...have all the major things booked e.g. venue, celebrant, photographer, cake, ceremony music, wedding dress, hair & make up etc. Now just conentrating on the finer details.
This forum has been such a huge help with deciding providers as I wouldn't have had a clue on who to go though.
Anyways, better be off to bed...I get too carried away on the internet and forget what the time is...

Breesmum

Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:47 pm

welcome catherinegc. sea temple is so nice. I've recently been taking a friend up to palm cove and port douglas to look at places for her wedding. Who did you get as your photographer?

Went and tried on more dresses today. I'm having a hard time deciding. got an appointment at another bridal store tomorrow so we shall see.

not much else happening. still looking at invites. when is everyone sending theirs out?

cdnbride

Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:04 pm

I'm going to mail my invites May 1, but that's mainly because my wedding is in Canada and we're going 3 weeks early to make sure that everything I've organised online is actually what I'm getting. So If I mailed them any later, it wouldn't give the guests much time to mail them back to us in Alice Springs before we left for Canada.

This week I've managed to get so much done in terms of organising decorations, the menswear and the invitations. I'm making the invitations myself, which has saved a lot of money, and has been fun to a certain extent, but wow am I glad we're still on summer holidays (I'm a teacher) because I have no idea when I would have had the time! But I think they'll turn out really nice, so I'm excited.

I'm about to order my dress as well as the BM and FG dresses and shoes, I'm just waiting for everyone from three countries to get their measurements back to me - I can't wait to order, because it will be that much sooner that they arrive :)

When are other people sending their invites?

catherineGC

Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:30 pm

Hey guys, I am using Shaun Guest from Port Douglas Photography as my photographer, but i have also heard Posh Photography @ Palm Cove are very good also.
I have already sent out my invitations (way too organised :roll: ) as most of our guests are down in Melbourne, so i want to make sure they have heaps of time to decide whether they are coming or not and give them a) time to save b) time to book accommodation etc and b) time for me to organise bomboneiere and stuff like that.
We went and got our FH and Best Man's suits today! Yay! I found that it was cheaper to buy them than hire them as Roger David had a buy 1 and get 2nd one 1/2 price sale on, and FH doesn't have a suit so this was a good opporunity.
For invitations, i used http://www.truelymadlydeeply.com.au, they have such a huge range and pretty reasonably priced, as i did shop around a lot. You order them pre cut and all you have to do is glue them together and we did our own printing. However, i made one mistake and forgot to put names on the RSVP cards, so that when prople tick the box on whose attending, there's no names!! :evil: Dumb me!! Luckily people have clued on and written the names accordingly.
I've already got my dress too. I tried on heaps here on the Gold Coast and you know when you find the right one as you may have one in your head and then when you keep trying on other dresses, you compare them to that one, so then you know that the one in your head is the right one! Then i went on the net (yet again!! :D ) and ordered the same dress I had been trying on @ http://www.houseofbrides.com, which was the exact same manufacturer but cheaper! Somehow its cheaper buying your dress in America than Aus and when it arrived it was perfect! House of brides is just a distributor in America thw wholesale dresses and deliver allover the world. Worth taking a look. :D
Now i'm up to all the smaller things like bomboniere, groom & bridesmaids gifts etc......and it still goes on.....

jestar85

Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:03 pm

Hello Fellow July Brides! Im also a july 10th bride!
I have only come across this forum this week, what a great find, lots of info thats for sure!

christabelle
C-WOWW
C-WOWW

Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:02 pm

Canadian bride - really sorry to hear about your dad. :( Also sorry for skim reading your post immediately before I posted my last comment, thus appearing like a rude biatch.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.28