A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

MerryMe
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Videographer - is it worth it?

Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:47 pm

Hi girls,

I'm on tight budget and my splurge will be on photography because I'm very picky on the photography style, etc. However, I'm still confused whether I should get a videographer or not.

Me & DH are not 'video' person and can't really stand watching 5 hour of wedding video which will never be watched again in many many years. But sometimes when I see a friend's wedding video, I feel that video can be a good tool to capture something funny/unexpected things that might not be able to be captured by a camera.

Are you girls including videographer on your wedding or not, and if so/not, what are your reasons?

Louise
Mind Reader
Mind Reader

Re: Videographer - is it worth it?

Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:51 pm

We weren't going to have a videographer, but changed our minds a few weeks before the day. I am glad that we did now. There were several things that happened on the day, that we don't remember, and the photos didn't capture the events either. So it was very cool to be able to see another side to the wedding day with the video. If you can afford it, then I would say go for it, even if it is a limited package.

cin
Devine Vintage Bride
Devine Vintage Bride

Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:58 pm

Oh yes we did for sure and even though i dont have it yet or no editing has been done i have seen a 10min version unedited that brought me to tears! I was so in another world on my wedding day which so many brides say and you never think it will be you. And i didnt think that on the day untill the next day when i woke up, i mean your all there but there is so much running around in your head, you could miss the smallest thing, i want to remember peoples reactions, looks emotions, feelings, i want to see how my husband was in the morning, what he was feeling, it just ment so much to us even more than pics in a way.. I know its a long video but you can get 10min versions also and 1hr versions, you can edit them to what you want in them... My advice was if you can do it go for it! I wouldnt change a thing :)

Louise
Mind Reader
Mind Reader

Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:04 am

cin wrote:
i want to see how my husband was in the morning, what he was feeling

I totalllllly agree cin, especially re seeing my husband in the morning and how he was! In my video, I got to see the guys mucking about and then preparing more in the morning. They even 'created' a little skit for the video camera that was funny to see after the wedding day :) Meanwhile all the women were getting hair and makeup done LOL

mrscampbell
Domestic Goddess
Domestic Goddess

Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:07 am

We didn't bother and we don't regret it. Our friend recorded a lot of the day on our video camera and we've only watched it once.

cin
Devine Vintage Bride
Devine Vintage Bride

Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:10 am

Louise wrote:
cin wrote:
i want to see how my husband was in the morning, what he was feeling

I totalllllly agree cin, especially re seeing my husband in the morning and how he was! In my video, I got to see the guys mucking about and then preparing more in the morning. They even 'created' a little skit for the video camera that was funny to see after the wedding day :) Meanwhile all the women were getting hair and makeup done LOL

Exactly! My hubby would like to see how i was in the morn and i would love to see how he was not to mention he would want to see our princess also, we put alot of effort into our day and what ever we could to to preserve those memories we were willing to do...Each to their own i guess some cant afford it and some prefer to keep their pictures as their memories, i really wanted to have both :) If you cant afford it i would reccomend a friend at least recording it for you.

kyliemartin79
Lady K
Lady K

Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:48 am

We arent having a videographer not due to money we just dont think we would ever watch it. We decided to spend alot more money on the photographer to make up for it. But Louise and Cin have raised some good points about seeing what your other half is up to beforehand. I am sure you could get a good friend to do it for you or some photographers have it combined in with their services or know someone they could recommend :D

Elizabethan
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:25 am

kyliemartin79 wrote:
We arent having a videographer not due to money we just dont think we would ever watch it. We decided to spend alot more money on the photographer to make up for it. But Louise and Cin have raised some good points about seeing what your other half is up to beforehand. I am sure you could get a good friend to do it for you or some photographers have it combined in with their services or know someone they could recommend :D

I agree, I just cant ever imagine watching it again, so we won't be having a video. You know yourself better than anyone, and if you feel like you won't watch it, you are probably right.

But everyone is different, my cousin had a DVD made and actually sent a copy to every guest with the thankyou cards (have to admit I didnt watch it as I was there!)

FLG

Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:50 pm

Last edited by FLG on Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smcreations
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:03 pm

Making the choice of whether to invest in video is always a tough one. I came across this clip from a video producer and for me, it expresses so much of how I see this media.
So with the author's permission, this is the link to a clip that may give you an insight on the value of video...

http://www.vimeo.com/3966556

tracey83
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:09 pm

We decided against having a videographer, mainly because both FH and I knew that we would be uncomfortable all day.. we are the ones that hide from the video camera at kids parties :lol:

I am going to ask a friend to film the ceremony and our first dance because these are two things that are special to me....

missk1
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:01 pm

I wasn't going to either then changed my mind 2 weeks before the wedding. And I am so glad I did, I don't have the video yet but have seen a 2min snippet and absolutely love it and am really happy I got it.

I think are you the type of person that will watch it? Will you regret it if you don't have it? I know I'll watch ours, I have watched the 2 min version about 30 times I reckon, and I always go back and look at old photos etc and no I will reflect on the video.

MerryMe
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:30 pm

Thanks girls, I'm still deciding but it will be most likely that we're just going to ask a friend to record the special moments if I can't find a videpgrapher who suits our budget

WedCent

Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:46 am

Nah isn't worth it, ask some of your friends to tape and it will do good.

*Blonde*
Party Queen
Party Queen

Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:45 am

tracey83 wrote:
We decided against having a videographer, mainly because both FH and I knew that we would be uncomfortable all day.. we are the ones that hide from the video camera at kids parties :lol:

That is how we felt but I still wanted to have our day videod. We didn't even notice her on the day at all!! When we watch the video we can't even remember her being with us at certain points throughout the day! Its amazing!!

I tell everyone to get a video - if you can't afford a professional then get a friend to do it! You miss so much on the day and it is so great to be able to look back and see everyone celebrating with you, and how happy everyone is!! I'll see if I can find a short montage of ours to upload somehow!!

jaynage
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:52 am

We were originally against the idea and got talked into it, and I'm glad we did. I think I would have regretted not having it now. It's fantastic being able to go back and watch all the parts of our day again, and to see how happy we all were on the day :) It adds a whole other dimension to just having the photography. In particular, I am so glad we had the videographer as we had the surprise of fireworks at our wedding that my Dad organised, and it was a really emotional part of the whole day. I love watching our expressions during that part in particular.

kathya
blue eyed bride
blue eyed bride

Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:56 pm

We had one done and so glad we did. I think our videographer captured the day and our moods better than the photographer. We got a one hour video done and am absolutely ecstatic the way it turned out. My sister didn't want one when she got married but mum went ahead and organised one for her so they could also send to overseas guests that couldn't make it and although my sister still hasn't watched it her kids watch it all the time.

So another thing to think about is one day your kids can actually enjoy your day as well.

JodieR
Alluring Princess
Alluring Princess

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:17 pm

totally agree with what Cin said. It's awesome to watch, see from a different prospective. However, in saying that... we couldn't afford to have it done professionally, so one of my friends (who was single at the time) video'd it for us. He even went as far as going out to the bar (outside our reception area) and interview some of the people there on what advice they could give the newly weds LOL. So did not expect that. We still haven't had it edited (11 years later) but I now have a video friend who is going to do this for us, so it will be wonderful (when I get around to actually giving it to him to do LOL). I can't wait! (well I can... but I can't!) :D

Bec Silverton

Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:11 pm

Anyone know where we can hire a video camera to get a friend to use on the day?

JodieR
Alluring Princess
Alluring Princess

Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:16 pm

Bec Silverton wrote:
Anyone know where we can hire a video camera to get a friend to use on the day?

Do you know any of your friends that you'd be able to borrow one off? That would be willing to loan it to your other friend that is. Might be a bit precious to lend?
GZIP: On | Load: 0.29