A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

eslyssa
Topic Author

What are unnecessary extras?

Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:50 pm

As far as reception venues, what are unnecessary extras that might be able to be sacrificed in order to lower prices?

For example, Sunday and lunch cheaper than Saturday night. But I've also heard people saying that they've offered to have the cake as dessert to save money, or bring their own MC...

What else is there?

natblack
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: What are unnecessary extras?

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:12 pm

Last edited by natblack on Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mel_84
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:25 pm

natblack wrote:
Decorations - table runners, chair covers, centerpieces etc

We are having the cake as dessert :D other than that, we are not going to worry about chair covers etc, and are also going to get guests to go to the bar instead of being waited on... not an extra I guess, but I think it should save us a bit of money (I always drink wayyy to much with someone constantly topping me up!)

jetsetterjess
Jess the Best
Jess the Best

Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:53 pm

we are probably not going to bother with a cake knife /server or expensive toasting flutes. we will use the venue's knife (with ribbon tied on) or one of ours from home/mum's silverware. and my MOH does glass painting, so i'm going to ask her to put our names/bride/groom on 2 plain flutes but you can have plain flutes plus ribbon or a wine charm to dress it up.

Ali_jane
Mrs M
Mrs M

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:01 am

Hmmm, I think it depends on your venue & the style of wedding you want. Really everything can be counted as an extra apart from having people there. BUT some easy things to cut would be chair covers (which can be sooo expensive), cut back on food (or go for a cheaper pkg), toasting flutes, favours (I really don't think people care too much about them).

With having cake as dessert, it may also be an idea to look at how much your venues dessert is (as larger cakes can be VERY expensive) or get a smaller display cake & then get them to make some that are not decorated & they can be kept in the kitchen.

elised
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:32 am

Also table centre pieces. Mine started off as a simple idea, but once you multiply it by the number of tables it all adds up - i would give that the flick if i hadnt already got all mine.
Also i brought a 'nude' wedding cake - no decorations. Ended up being cheaper than the cheesecake shop, a nicer cake, baked fresh and with ALL fresh ingredients and all i have to do is add a cake topper - she is even going to put a ribbon around it to match my cake topper (flowers).
Asking a friend to MC the event and play music through a laptop
Finding out if your venue will do BYO - we are supplying all the booze and we keep whatever isnt drunk.
Favours - now that i have finished mine i am wishing i had just made a donation to charity or something.
All depends on the sort of wedding you are after. I wanted small and simple and i know that some things have got away from me...

jumy
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:57 am

We had our cake as dessert with a fruit platter and saved $5.00 per person off our package, we also didnt spend a heap of money on favours - ours cost less than $50.00 for our guests. Basically we spent about $1.00 on favours per guest.

Thena85
I survived and got married

Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:05 am

I think fancy cars can be an unnecessary extra... we're using my FFIL's black VZ commodore and a mate's White Holden HQ - costing us nothing but still nice looking cars for showing up in. I didnt see the point in paying $$$$ for a limo etc for a 20 min trip to church...

Also the venue for my reception has an awesome all-inclusive package (inc table/chair covers etc) but their centrepieces are pretty ordinary. I was going to buy my own, but with 10 tables it would sure add up! I figure its prob nt even that big of a deal n the ones they provide will just have to do... :D

Thena85

Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:08 am

Oops! :oops: Just re-read opening post n I completely misunderstood... thought it was unnecessary extras relating to an entire wedding - nt only the reception. Sorry! Disregard my car comment then :D

chellebelle
♥ baby on board! ♥
♥ baby on board! ♥

Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:36 am

We're using a laptop instead of a DJ and having the MC babysit it. We're also going to password protect the computer so people can't get on and change songs, so that we stick to the planned playlist.
We're either going to get Cheesecake Shop cakes (and we'll put the cake topper/flowers on it ourself) or my Mum is going to make cupcakes. She's already got a cake decorating kit so it's just a matter of practicing.
Our venue is supplying centrepieces but if they weren't, we'd probably just have candles and some seashells scattered (which you can buy in bulk on Ebay or crafty shops).

Ali_jane
Mrs M
Mrs M

Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:57 am

We are also using a laptop! Plus I think it's also good to make the best use of friends talents. One of our friends is a sound engineer so he is lending us a 'rig' to hook up our laptop etc... That will be his present to us for the wedding.

kimberlina81

Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:10 am

To be perfectly truthful, just about everything about a wedding is to someone 'unnecessary'. To me, I would rather have had no flowers than to have sub-par food, for example.

I tried to cut costs wherever I thought I could and our wedding still cost more than we had anticipated.

Rather than just try to save on your reception venue, try other areas (especially if you have fallen in love with the venue!)

Areas that you could save include:

Flowers - look at how you are using them and how many will do the job without sacrificing the look you are going for. We recycled ourz ceremony flowers and it saved us quite a bit over the vases I had originally planned.

Who can DIY something - think of how weddings used to be... Aunty Jo did you cake, your Gran made your dress, your cousin did your hair and make up. It is still as topical today. See what talent lies within and who is willing to help out.

Having a smaller reception can cost a bit less - you still have venue hire and all the overheads, but it does save a fair bit. If you can have only immediate family and friends at the reception, it will be cheaper and more intimate. You can still invite them all to the ceremony if you are careful with your wording.

Invitations cost a pretty packet. Vistaprint is a good option or there are really lovely pre-made ones around that are REALLY affordable. If you could go online by sending e-invitations it would be even cheaper and much more environmentally friendly

Evaluate your glassware - we had a red wine, a white wine, a beer, a champagne and a port glass. In hindsight we could have got by without the white one.

We had friends and family set up (AND cleaned up!) our venue, for which I am forever grateful. They did a great job.

My husband set up the stereo system with a laptop and we had our own playlist for music.

Charlene
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:26 am

Linen
Using what the venue has (even if it is just plain white) can save a packet over hiring in a certain colour. You can always use napkins and decorations to add the colour. Paper napkins are going to be cheaper than linen, but it depends on what sort of feel you are going for (at a really formal wedding and dinner paper napkins might look a bit cheap).

Chaircovers
Really think about this one - they are expensive!

Bar Tab
Make sure that alternatives such as water and softdrinks are EASILY available and visible. Have water and glasses on every table and make sure that the venue fills the jugs/carafe's when they are empty. Put someone in charge of this if you have to. Venues won't promote it because they know it will reduce alcohol consumption and their profits. I like the suggestion that people have to go to the bar to get served, not only are you saving on staff costs but also on consumption - great tip! See if the venue will let you BYO your wine and/or champagne and then look around for some good "cleanskin" wine.

Toasting champagne
Choose wisely - most of it doesn't even get drunk. How many people are even going to know "how good" or how expensive the champagne was - let alone care.

Entrees
If you have had nibblies - do you really need a three course meal?

Cake
Have one small cake for show (doing the cutting etc) then serve slab cake that no-one even sees.

Table Decorations / Place Tags / Favours
Consider using things that play two or more roles. ie edible table centers (like chocolate boquets), favours with people's names on them etc.
Do away with nametags and just assign people a table on a seating list - surely 8 or 10 adults can seat themselves around a table.
Get your nametags printed with all the other stationary - even if you get them printed for people who don't end up coming, doing it all at once in one bulk run may save you in the long run.
Gift the table-centres to people (those who did something special, bridesmaids, mothers etc). If you have some really nice vases or flowers you want to use but they are a bit expensive this can be a way of rationalising the costs.
Buy second-hand - there must be lots of brides out there with used table-centres.

catherineaustin29

Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:31 pm

Transport definitely! I truly can not understand why it is considered a good 'wedding' idea to spend hundreds of dollars on a truly beautiful vehicle, that isn't going to be used for most of the day! Yes it will be in a few pictures, and therefore there are the 'bragging' rights of 'look what I had!' But personally, sitting in the back of my dad's car as he is driving us to the place seems fine to me!

We are actually planning on using public transport. Myself, parents, BM and photographer are going to catch a maxi taxi to the ceremony location and then after the ceremony everyone will leg it to the nearest train station and catch the train to where the reception venue is (the nearest station is only 200m away). Aside from the fact that it is saving us a good 300 - 400 buckaroos, we'll have the laughs of everyone being in the same train carriage for the length of the journey! :)

mrcm1166
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:34 pm

most of the things I would of said have been covered

chair covers, table decorations, favours etc can all save you money if you choose not to have them

we chose to have a lunch with our guests rather than a night time reception. We were lucky that the hotel we chose let us have a seperate room to ourselves (at no cost), we selected three choices from their menu for the guests to have and I made up the menus myself to save money.
We opted to have a simple choice of garlic bread for nibbles while people were choosing lunch, the servings of the garlic bread really should of been an indication of the meals as we got plenty and half didnt get eaten (they refunded us some of the extra cost we had allowed for the nibbles).
I bought some very simple decorations from kmart just to make the table look pretty and it cost me under $20 for the lot.

We had a very small group to cater for so it did help cost wise.

A thing to ask the venue is if you bring your own cake in to be served as dessert do they charge a cutting fee per person, as some places do this and it can range from $2 pp upwards, most around here were $5pp and that adds up.

Also ask if they do a corking fee if you are allowed BYO, have had a friend get caught out on that one.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.15