A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

danatello

Re: Buying dress on Duosheng

Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:44 pm

karan, I just read through pages 1 - 10 - there seems to be mixed reactions to Duosheng (some good, some bad!) Suggest you read previous entries! :D

Someone asked previously if anyone has dealt with LightInTheBox? I have, but for wedding favours/toasting flutes. I have to say they came up trumps on that count! Great price, good quality and FAST shipping. I haven't found the dress I like on their site, so I'm not ordering through them. I have a DHGate one in mind...they will make/ship it for around $130AUD.

Believe it or not, I'm doing this an 'experiment' - I already HAVE the dress, bought at Tuscany Bridal in Perth (Ella by Essence "Mercedes" design) and paid $1195 for it cos it had been discounted $700 - get this, EXACTLY my size, NO alterations needed! I'll put pics of it up on my S&T when I get organised enough to start one! LOL

I'm experimenting to see if the bridal wedding shops do indeed rip people off. I reckon they are ALL made in China, just 'tagged' with a designer label and the price inflated to absurd levels! SO, if I lose about $150, it's no big bickies. IF (as I suspect) the quality is on a par with the dress I've just paid almost $1200, I'll have succeeded in proving the retail industry's greed!

Don't worry, the $150 dress will still be used...what better than a 'Trash The Dress" photo session? I'll do a 'drowning Ophelia" shot in the turquoise waters of Cocos!! :lol:

Will keep you all updated on my progress...but yes, I'd say the most important thing is taking the CUSTOM MADE option, using YOUR measurements...dont' go by the sizing charts!
8)

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:04 pm

I will be interested to see the difference. I have purchased a locally made gown on the basis so I know exactly where it has come from. While I agree a lot of gowns are probably made in China the quality you get from the bridal stores is more consistent than that you seem to get from Duosheng etc.

Cimbom
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:22 pm

Just because two things may be made in China does not mean they will be of same quality. Companies have different quality control standards, may use more skilled labour, higher quality fabrics and construction, etc. Australian bridal gowns are overpriced because you can get most of the same labels in the USA for half price (so a $2000 dress here is $1000 over there) but there most certainly is a difference between a $1000 dress and a $200 one. Both may be fine and perfectly good wedding dresses but there are a lot of differences that need to be considered as well.

jade&jeff

Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:43 pm

color wrote:
AllieB wrote:
Hi there,

I bought my Illusion halter mermaid wedding dress from Duosheng and couldn't be more happy with the result. I ordered it right on Chinese New Year - around 2nd February 2011 I think and received an automated reply saying they were on holidays for two weeks. I was a bit nervous about getting the dress in time so I told a little white lie and said the wedding date was 18th March 2011 instead of 25th just incase the dress needed tweaking. Gretchen communicated with me several times even though they were on holidays.

I had a dressmaker measure me as I am a busty 16DD and no particular size so the dress was custom made and I paid a bit extra for BEST QUALITY. I emailed them a pic from another wedding site that was selling the dress for like $200! and it was made from that. They advised me to have a lace up back which I agreed to but later they contacted me and said I should have the back zippered so as not to take away from the original design. This I also agreed to.

When the dress arrived on time I was so happy. It was so beautiful, boned. satin lined, beaded and gorgeous. Where the zipper is in the back they had put covered buttons alongside so as not to see the zipper.They even gave me a veil for free (which I didn't wear) The only thing wrong with the dress which was not their fault was I had to get the dressmaker to make a small tuck in the back as I have a sway back and they wouldn't know that from my set of measurements ,and I forgot to mention it. After the tuck was done it fit like a glove. I have never had a dress fit me so well in my life.

I don't understand why some people have good experiences and some bad with these online stores but I can certainly say without doubt I would use them again. My husband still raves about my dress.

A few pics attached.

Married 3 months 19 days.

You and I have the same experience, and I finally buy really nice wedding dress, I really like, I emailed my wedding photos to Duosheng.

How lucky you are! i really hope my dress could come to me soon :heart:

leipooh

Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:44 am

Hi girls,

It's been a very long time since I last posted in forum! My DH and I have been happily married since Jan 2010 yay :heart: ! I remembered how wonderful this forum was for ideas, suggestions and good advice, so now that a good friend of ours is getting married, I'm hoping I'll help her find some answers to her woes. :D
Back when I was organizing my own wedding I looked into purchasing my gown from Zero-Love, now two years on it seems zero-love is no longer operational :( . There's been some mix reviews regarding duosheng it seems, and I'm wondering whether anyone has had some recent experience with them. I was lucky when I was organizing my own big day as I was going to have my BM gowns made by Zero-Love but my friend's future MIL(who is an awesome professional dressmaker btw) offered to make it as a gift to us... However now when it came to her own future DIL, she's reluctant to make it for her because she's worried her skills weren't good enough. The wedding will be late Jan 2012 so my friend has a few more months, her dress has been organised but she still needs BM dresses and an evening gown to change into during the reception. If anyone has any recent dresses made by duosheng I would love to see photos, or if anyone has any other suggestions that would be absolutely wonderful too!
Thanks girls!

jade&jeff

Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:40 pm

leipooh wrote:
Hi girls,

It's been a very long time since I last posted in forum! My DH and I have been happily married since Jan 2010 yay :heart: ! I remembered how wonderful this forum was for ideas, suggestions and good advice, so now that a good friend of ours is getting married, I'm hoping I'll help her find some answers to her woes. :D
Back when I was organizing my own wedding I looked into purchasing my gown from Zero-Love, now two years on it seems zero-love is no longer operational :( . There's been some mix reviews regarding duosheng it seems, and I'm wondering whether anyone has had some recent experience with them. I was lucky when I was organizing my own big day as I was going to have my BM gowns made by Zero-Love but my friend's future MIL(who is an awesome professional dressmaker btw) offered to make it as a gift to us... However now when it came to her own future DIL, she's reluctant to make it for her because she's worried her skills weren't good enough. The wedding will be late Jan 2012 so my friend has a few more months, her dress has been organised but she still needs BM dresses and an evening gown to change into during the reception. If anyone has any recent dresses made by duosheng I would love to see photos, or if anyone has any other suggestions that would be absolutely wonderful too!
Thanks girls!

I do have a firend who bought some dresses from duosheng a half year ago. and she is quite happy with the result. but about recently experience, i dont know .sry :oops:

leipooh

Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:06 pm

Thanks jade&jeff, we'll have a chat about it and see what she decides... Perhaps we can get some samples sent to us and she can decide then. :D

stefania
Baby Mama ♥
Baby Mama ♥

Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:18 pm

I had a great experience with Duosheng recently. I had contact with Viviane using the email address elegant99weddingdresses@gmail.com

You can see my dress and read more in my S&T http://forum.weddingcentral.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=124105&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=280#p2027647

leipooh

Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:47 am

Wow stefania, your dress looks gorgeous! They did such a fantastic job! Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback. Your wedding is going to be such a wonderful event, especially since you'll also be sharing it with the newest addition to your family. Congratulations!

Sparky!
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:13 pm

Hello ladies!

I got my dresses!!!

They are PERFECT, as good as, if not better, than dresses that I could get from here.

I got two bridesmaids dresses, different styles and completely different shapes - both perfect (although one of my BMs has put on a bit of weight, and now dress, is, erm, snug).

My dress is senstational. The quality of the fabric and work cant be faulted. My only tiny issue is that the back of the dress doesn't have the rouching it should have, but this is not a big deal for me. Just means i get to wear the really long veil i've always dreamed of!

coco2003
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:41 pm

Cimbom wrote:
Just because two things may be made in China does not mean they will be of same quality. Companies have different quality control standards, may use more skilled labour, higher quality fabrics and construction, etc. Australian bridal gowns are overpriced because you can get most of the same labels in the USA for half price (so a $2000 dress here is $1000 over there) but there most certainly is a difference between a $1000 dress and a $200 one. Both may be fine and perfectly good wedding dresses but there are a lot of differences that need to be considered as well.

This. There's generally a big difference in regard to fabric quality plus boning, beading etc.

Plus companies like Essense/ Maggie Sottero etc etc etc would have higher standards for employees in regard to pay/ conditions than some of the companies churning out $200 dresses, so it can become an ethical question as well.

jessstar6

Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:17 pm

i wish i hadnt read this topic now! lol

i ordered 4 bridesmaids dresses 2 weeks ago and im getting married in nov! ive been speaking with Rachel and before i ordered she promised to have them here by mid october. *fingers corssed*. i'll let you know if i have any dramas

but at the end of the day if i dont get them i have it in writing and can take it up with paypal

coco2003
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:06 pm

Spam-o-riffic!

sidonie
Little Miss Pearl
Little Miss Pearl

Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:55 pm

lulz

Laura&Finn

Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:17 pm

Has anyone dealt with Duosheng within the last year? Are they still more often than not making good dresses?

Longtimecoming

Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:35 pm

For those of you who got want you wanted you were so lucky - I'm happy for you that you got what you wanted :D

I on the other hand have had a really bad experience buying online from China. It wasn't Duosheng though, it was Tataprice.com I found my perfect dress but couldn't afford the original so searched online and found Tataprice who actually had that dress on there website as one they did. I knew it was going to be a copy and didn't expect it to be perfect but when I got it it was NOTHING like what I wanted. The colours were wrong, the material was wrong, the embroidery was crap and even the style/shape of the dress was barely the same as the original. I was soooo disappointed and in tears for days, both because I hated the dress I got and at myself for being so stupid and thinking I would get what I wanted from a Chinese website :cry:

I did get my money back though and have managed to layby another dress from an Australian bridal store that I love so this is just a warning to let people know there is a bad side to ordering from China as well.

Miss Michelle
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:44 pm

Longtimecoming wrote:
For those of you who got want you wanted you were so lucky - I'm happy for you that you got what you wanted :D

I on the other hand have had a really bad experience buying online from China. It wasn't Duosheng though, it was Tataprice.com I found my perfect dress but couldn't afford the original so searched online and found Tataprice who actually had that dress on there website as one they did. I knew it was going to be a copy and didn't expect it to be perfect but when I got it it was NOTHING like what I wanted. The colours were wrong, the material was wrong, the embroidery was crap and even the style/shape of the dress was barely the same as the original. I was soooo disappointed and in tears for days, both because I hated the dress I got and at myself for being so stupid and thinking I would get what I wanted from a Chinese website :cry:

I did get my money back though and have managed to layby another dress from an Australian bridal store that I love so this is just a warning to let people know there is a bad side to ordering from China as well.

That's great you could get your money back! Did you get it back directly from the company?

Longtimecoming

Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:40 pm

Yep I got it back from the company. I emailed them straight away when I got it saying it wasnt the right colours etc then when I'd calmed down a bit went into specifics of what was wrong with it!
I had to negotiate with them because they were trying to get me to let them have another tailor make it again or trying to only give me a 50% refund etc etc. Goes to show how cheaply they make them for when they would rather offer me a whole other dress rather than refund my money but I stuck to my guns and used their refund policy against them and got my refund :)

Miss Michelle
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:42 pm

Longtimecoming wrote:
Yep I got it back from the company. I emailed them straight away when I got it saying it wasnt the right colours etc then when I'd calmed down a bit went into specifics of what was wrong with it!
I had to negotiate with them because they were trying to get me to let them have another tailor make it again or trying to only give me a 50% refund etc etc. Goes to show how cheaply they make them for when they would rather offer me a whole other dress rather than refund my money but I stuck to my guns and used their refund policy against them and got my refund :)

That's great, good on you, I was surprised they offered you a refund but you obviously looked into it enough to make sure you got it!

coco2003
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:50 pm

This is why it's important to do your research on online dressmakers before ordering :wink: :)
GZIP: On | Load: 0.36