A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Ayla01
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Invitation Prices??

Wed May 04, 2011 11:50 pm

am wondering...what kind of prices are people prepared to pay for invites?

i know places like vistaprint etc do them quite cheaply so i'm more thinking along the lines of what people are prepared to pay for a professional graphic designer, consultation, individual designs and printing etc?

I've had mine done by a professional and i love them but i know some people have considered it too much of an expense. For whatever reason, i really wanted my invites to stand out and be unique so it was a cost i was prepared to pay (and i dont have an artistic bone in my body so making them myself was out of the question). just wondering what other peoples thoughts are and how much money (per invite) do you think is too much?

soni@
♥ Mrs Went ♥
♥ Mrs Went ♥

Re: Invitation Prices??

Thu May 05, 2011 10:35 am

We had ours done professionally for the same reasons you stated...it came to about $8.00 per invite for 75 invites..

Personally, we were prepared to pay up to $12 per invite but I know a few people who have paid WAY more than this...

Like everything else in wedding prep deciding whether or not to spend money on anything, whether it be invites/dress/venue depends solely on the couple's budget, taste and likes/dislikes...people around you will always have a subjective opinion on anything you purchase, but if you can fit it in YOUR budget and love the look, then go for it!

We had opinions ranging from 'OMG, I can't believe you would waste your money on invites like that..' to 'hmm...they're ok, but you could have spent a bit more on them as invites are like first impressions of your wedding for guests' :roll:

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Thu May 05, 2011 10:43 am

I would love flash invites but when it comes down to it I need to save some money somewhere so I will be getting mine from Vista Print.

I am prepared to spend up to $5.00 per invite, preferably including postage.

However, I know I would not get a professional for that sort of money and that I am sacrifcing on the invites.

andie85
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu May 05, 2011 10:58 am

It depends what you are looking for in your invitation. If you are willing to do some of the gluing yourself you can usually get them cheaper. I ordered my invitations overseas, they did all the printing and cutting all I had to do was glue it together. In Australia I was quoted $10-$22 for my invitations, I got them for $5 per invite overseas. I could not have been happier. I get so many comments on how different and unique they are.

shellfisch
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu May 05, 2011 1:42 pm

Andie85, who did you use?

andie85
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu May 05, 2011 2:05 pm

shellfisch wrote:
Andie85, who did you use?

Cards and pockets. It is in America, they are very friendly and have great service. You can see what they look like in my show and tell. They had the best range of colours, plus I designed my own patterned paper in that price so the invitations would match my colour scheme

Balls
formerly known as JessieK

Thu May 05, 2011 3:37 pm

We're not sure what it'll come to but we don't want to spend more than 6-7 dollars per invite for 50 invites.
So our invite budget is roughly 350.
We'll probably DIY them so we get something abit flashier for our money but I have no idea, at the end of day, what we'll end up with at this stage.
A friend of mine wasn't fussed at all about invites and spent about ten dollars on invites from the newsagents! At the time I thought "Wow, that's abit cheap" but when I think back on it now, it doesn't matter at all. We don't really keep invites so it's probably better that way!

christabelle
C-WOWW
C-WOWW

Thu May 05, 2011 3:44 pm

Ayla01 wrote:
just wondering what other peoples thoughts are and how much money (per invite) do you think is too much?

I think too much is when the couple can't afford it.

I can't really remember how much I spent. It was either $13 or $16 an invite. I started off with a budget of $6....but that went out the window when I fell in love with my invites. They were professionally made. I didn't have the time or the tolerance to make my own (I was out working to pay for the damn things! haha)

Balls

Fri May 06, 2011 11:06 am

christabelle wrote:
Ayla01 wrote:
just wondering what other peoples thoughts are and how much money (per invite) do you think is too much?

That :tick: :tick:

Dandelion
Queen Of My Castle
Queen Of My Castle

Fri May 06, 2011 4:35 pm

JessieK wrote:
christabelle wrote:
Ayla01 wrote:

That :tick: :tick:

Agreed! I personally wouldn't pay more than $5 per invite, but I am fairly crafty, love making things and I'm more than a little typically anally virgo, so I HAD to do mine myself, there was no if, buts or maybes. I would have gone mad leaving them in someone else's hands! :lol: For someone with less creative inclination, or less time, then it would be a different story.

andie85
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri May 06, 2011 7:03 pm

Totally agree with the above. The truth sadly is that the majority of them are going to be thrown out after the wedding.

Apple Blossom
I survived and got married

Sat May 07, 2011 11:47 pm

Last edited by Apple Blossom on Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April14

Sun May 08, 2011 10:33 pm

I will probably end up making my own ones but dream about getting letterpress invites. I love stationary (and also have friends who totally appreciate it too) so if I can find someone who can do it cheaper than usual I'd like to get them.

Ayla01
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Wed May 11, 2011 12:49 am

April14 wrote:
I will probably end up making my own ones but dream about getting letterpress invites. I love stationary (and also have friends who totally appreciate it too) so if I can find someone who can do it cheaper than usual I'd like to get them.

Not sure where you are but you could probably do it correspondence etc if you have the time but i totally reccomend the lady who did mine. Shes in Townsville, http://www.pinknoisecreative.com/ We got ours at a good price. She is just starting out so looking to build herself a good portfolio/client base etc so you might be able to negotiate prices with her. And if you are limited on cost, she might be able to help you figure out keeping those costs down through materials. Also, since a lot of what you pay invite people is for their time, if you can do the majority of the design yourself, you can get your costs down on her work per hour.

I'm like you, i love stationary and beautiful invites so we always knew we were going to be shelling out extra money for professional work. To me, its totally worth it but thats cause i'm a bit spazzy when it comes to arts and craft. if you're a bit crafty maybe get her to design and print but you put it all together yourself...probably save you heaps.

Even if you want to try and find a graphic designer closer to you, most of these options should still apply. I'm just spruiking this one cause she did such a fantastic job on ours (and because our invites only went out a couple of days ago and i'm still super in love/excited in them!! I'm a walking bilboard for this chick's work now...people are like...why are you smiling and then i'm all like "OMG have you seen my invites!!!! xxx did them and their freaken awesome!!!!"

wishful_inking

Thu May 12, 2011 5:31 pm

andie85 wrote:
Totally agree with the above. The truth sadly is that the majority of them are going to be thrown out after the wedding.

No, no, shhh don't say it! I made my sister's, brother's and dad's wedding invites within the last 18 months, which I did for free as a wedding gift to each of them, and it's too painful to think that people might throw them out!! :cry: It's particularly painful to hear seeing as I'm trying to start up an invitation and stationery making business too! So I naively tell myself that everyone tucks them away in a little drawer to keep, and they surely must also keep the incredibly expensive envelopes too, not just tear them apart and throw them in the bin! I'm clearly just fooling myself... :roll:

andie85
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu May 12, 2011 7:01 pm

wishful_inking wrote:
andie85 wrote:

No, no, shhh don't say it! I made my sister's, brother's and dad's wedding invites within the last 18 months, which I did for free as a wedding gift to each of them, and it's too painful to think that people might throw them out!! :cry: It's particularly painful to hear seeing as I'm trying to start up an invitation and stationery making business too! So I naively tell myself that everyone tucks them away in a little drawer to keep, and they surely must also keep the incredibly expensive envelopes too, not just tear them apart and throw them in the bin! I'm clearly just fooling myself... :roll:

Sorry, it is hard to hear when you have put so much time and effort in to it. I am one of the people who keeps the invitations to all the weddings I have been to. I think it is a great little memory of the event!

alwayz_shopping
Straddie Super Bride
Straddie Super Bride

Mon May 16, 2011 12:37 pm

I keep the invite and the placecard or favour tag. I have a box dedicated to such things.
I am trying to figure out how much I am willing to spend on invites at the moment as I realise that not everyone keeps them like I do.

caz
Finally the Mrs to my Mr
Finally the Mrs to my Mr

Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Thats one reason im not prepared to pay any more then $5 an invite. while i have seen ones that i love for around 15 an invite at the end of the day they just go in the bin so couldnt justify it.

bronzestar

Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:14 pm

April14 wrote:

:heart: Letterpress, swoon :heart:

Not going to happen though :( I understand why it is so expensive, but I still can't justify the cost.

lemon lyman

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:19 pm

wishful_inking wrote:
andie85 wrote:

This is one of the reasons I won't be spending that much on my invites. I know I would get too emotionally invested in them and couldn't bear the thought of my guests casually tossing them!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.31