A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

tanieeyaa
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

How much is too much? - Wedding Budget

Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:47 am

So i've got a wedding budget of $30,000 for a wedding in Sydney for about 150 guests. Prices in Sydney is ridiculous! So I'm starting to venture out to places such as wollongong, bulli, bowral etc to try and get the costing down. So here is the question I want to ask you, how much is too much for a wedding budget? Am I being a total brat in saying $30,000 just doesn't feel like enough anymore? What is your budget and how hard was it to stick to that?

KateM
It's between Me and Steve McQueen
It's between Me and Steve McQueen

Re: How much is too much? - Wedding Budget

Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:49 am

You can do a wedding in Sydney for $30,000. it just depends on what kind of wedding you want.

tanieeyaa
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:00 am

That's very true. I'm looking for something very untraditional. Seargents Mess look for a venue. Something that is modern but has vintage elements so that I can carry through the vintage details in the decorations. I'm the first in my friends and third in the entire family to get married so I have no idea of wedding receptions. My research keeps going in circles. HELP!

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:23 am

Too much IMHO is when you have to go into (serious) debt to pay for it.

Our budget started at $20k (not including honeymoon or Ering) but has very quickly jumped up to $27k... 8O

Tips for saving money:

- Sunday or Friday event
- Cocktail Reception over Sit Down Meal
- A Buffet may be cheaper too
- Consumption drinks over a package

But frankly if you are comfortable with the entire bill and can afford it without going into serious or any debt go for it!

gdemon
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:50 pm

I think too much is if you have to go into debt to do it. My goal is to put nothing on a credit card.

:tick: :tick: :tick:

I think "too much" is when you have to sacrifice other important things to pay for the wedding. E.g. for us, we won't give up getting our own rental place (after sharehousing together for years to save money), and paying for me to finish postgrad studies for the sake of the wedding.

I also want to point out that getting an out of town reception venue, or having a Friday/Sunday wedding may not always be possible. Depending on where guests are coming from, that could just mean passing the costs onto guests. If it's too far out of town, guests have to pay for a night's accommodation if the reception ends late. If there are interstate guests, they would need to take a day off work to travel for a Friday wedding, or to get home after a Sunday night wedding. (Some venues in fact charge extra for Sunday weddings due to higher wage costs.)

I think it was also mentioned on the "Things that annoyed you about other people's weddings" thread that a Friday afternoon ceremony followed by dinner reception may be awkward for parents to fit into their schedules, in terms of having to pick up kids from school and/or find daytime babysitters (not easy apparently?!), on top of possibly taking extra time off work.

Though having said that, I'm getting to the point where I realise no matter what you do for your wedding SOMEONE will always find SOMETHING to criticise about it, so just pick what you're happy and comfortable with, then turn a deaf ear to the critics out there!

rgarry
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:13 pm

We've done the same as some of the other couples on here and are putting a set amount in savings everyweek but leaving enough for the occasional nite out, and emergency fund (eg vet bills, car parts etc) and if we have extra one week we add it to the savings. Too much for me would be to have to use a credit card if we cant pay cash we cant afford it. :)

TasKaz
I need a title
I need a title

Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:46 pm

Ashling wrote:
I think too much is if you have to go into debt to do it. My goal is to put nothing on a credit card. Other than that, it's up to you. Our budget is similar to yours, but we decided that we are only going to do this once, and using this money will mean we miss out on the other stuff we were going to spend it on, but for us we'd prefer to spend it on the wedding.
Some people won't think it's worth it, I think it's a very personal choice.

I, too, agree. And it's a very personal choice. My aim is an intimate, elegant, but low-cost wedding. My budget is around the $8000 mark. That is partly because I love a bargain and I love the challenge of trying to achieve that amount yet still have something beautiful and elegant :D But it also involves a massive amount of research too. And I am achieving my goal so far :D

We all have different circumstances and also different limitations of what we are prepared to pay but vive le difference. We all have the common aim of wanting to commit to the man we love and making it as special as possible. Good luck :mrgreen:

missEbali
Mrs DG
Mrs DG

Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:58 am

I had a destination wedding and with 85 guests, including flights and every single little thing, it cost us around $40,000 8O

Sargents Mess, I've heard is quite exxy.

bella_bec
♥ Hubby's Pumpkin ♥
♥ Hubby's Pumpkin ♥

Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:21 am

for sergents mess you are looking at $25500 just for food and drink, no decorations no add ons just the food and drink...you very quickly will blow your budget...

I had a 100 person wedding in the middle of sydney and it cost a whopping $60K..... that being said i went for the premium of everything and had it very luxury... I LOVED it and would do it the same if i had my day over :heart:

And we could afford it as we already have our own place and did not go into debt for our big day

mummabride
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:14 am

I think that you should spend what YOU feel comfortable spending! I personally would never take out any type of loan to fund my wedding, but if you had the cash then why not?! My original budget was $20,000 and my estimate is that we will spend around $23500 which isn't too far over the budget! And then their is the honeymoon on top of that. Obviously everyones idea of what is an ideal amount to spend will be different depending on their circumstances.

Goodluck and enjoy the wedding planning

Ladyhawk

Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:30 pm

dh and i had 90 guests at our reception and about 110 at the ceremony. children came to the ceremony, but not to the reception.
our wedding cost approx. $20,000. maybe a bit more...
when you see it in writing it looks so much...
my bff is getting married soon and i recently found this budget planner on the nab site, http://lifeevents.nab.com.au/marriage-and-money-225.html?WT.seg_1=SEBBB&WT.ac=SEBBB.
has anyone used anything like this and found it helpful?
i thought i'd send it onto her.

BubS
I need a title
I need a title

Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:44 pm

How ever much you can afford to spend without have to sacrifice hugely. Set a savings plan from the time you start planning and work out what you can afford comfortably in that time.

I know alot of people borrow money for weddings (like from banks etc) but I could never go into debt for a wedding. Also consider any contributions either set of parents may wish to make, if you're lucky enough.

heartstringz
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:48 pm

BubS wrote:
How ever much you can afford to spend without have to sacrifice hugely. Set a savings plan from the time you start planning and work out what you can afford comfortably in that time.

I agree BubS. Also, work out what is important to you and what is not so much - make lists even, we did. Therefore we chose what to spend our money on and got everything that was important to us. We didn't 'sacrifice' anything because we saved money in other areas - leaving out the things that were unimportant to us. We also bargin-hunted, got a lot of stuff from ebay, DIY'd stuff, called in favours from friends etc. We did our wedding (not including honeymoon) for about $11,000 for 55 people and it was perfect.

lisha_1988

Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:43 pm

We have $20k and im getting worried it wont be enough.... given the reception is $10k of that...

tanieeyaa
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:29 am

I couldn't agree more with what everyone is saying. Too much is when your spending money you don't have. So far my wedding reception is looking to be around $24,000 for 150 people at Deckhouse in Woolwich. I wanted my final budget to be around $30,000 (including things like flowers, cake, cars, photography, videography, stationary). Is this possible? I need your help and advice! I need to know before I make my final booking that it can be done. Thanks again!

Cimbom
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:53 am

Tanieyaa, I would say you're probably cutting it a bit too finely. Photo and video would be at least $3000 for something basic, probably closer to 4k which leaves you with 2-3,000 for everything else. I'd probably try and get the reception cost down to 18-20k if you can, especially if you still need to buy your dress plus BM dresses, etc.

gdemon
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:42 pm

Aside from the reception, our budget is about $4000 for everything else: flowers, dress, suit, cake, stationery etc. That's for a guestlist of 85 to 95. But it's silk flowers, DIY cake, half DIY stationery, no wedding car, <$500 each for dress and suit, asking bridesmaids/groomsmen to wear what they have instead of buying them matching outfits, simple wedding bands, no bonbonniere. Also, no photography/videography!

We could cut down on these items as we both felt the actual reception/food itself was our priority, and not what we wore or the flowers we had etc. But I'm aware that most of these things we're scaling back on tend to be non-negotiable must-haves for other couples. Especially the photography!

My advice is to get rough prices for everything else first just to make sure you can afford it all before locking in the reception, though it takes time and effort. See how long the venue can hold your tentative booking for... if they insist that they can't hold a tentative booking without deposit, ask them if they'll do a "booking note" on your date. That is, they put a note into their functions diary to call you first if someone else asks about that date, and essentially give you first priority over the later inquiry, but at the point you'll probably need to put down your deposit if you still want to keep it. Still, this could give you some time to round up quotes.

KCupcake21
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:12 pm

Agreeing with gdemon - get a rough idea on prices & then set a budget.

As for how much is too much, I think too much to spend is when you loose sleep over how you will pay for it all - you need to be comfortable with how much you are spending & no-one can change that.

TasKaz
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:29 am

misspony wrote:
I am hoping that we will be able to do our wedding with about 40 guests for less than $8,000 but I think that $10,000 is going to be more realistic.

We are looking at around the same. Probably 40 to 50 guests and hoping for around $8000 in total.

Balls
formerly known as JessieK
formerly known as JessieK

Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:34 pm

Last edited by Balls on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.11