A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

bec31
Topic Author

Buying a dress off ebay ..from china

Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:04 pm

Hi,
My wedding isn't until later 2013 and i'm already looking around for a dress. I have spotted a few on ebay that are made in china (very cheap too), although i have read great customer feedbacks on the sellers, i still feel a little reluctant to proceed with buying a dress.

Has anyone bought a wedding dress from one of those ebay stores located in china?. Are there any hidden fee's as i have just been reading on here that you have custom fee's..

Could someone please shed some light on buying a dress international, as i'm hopeless with all the wedding prep..

Thank you

stormageddon
♥ Mrs Weirdy ♥
♥ Mrs Weirdy ♥

Re: Buying a dress off ebay ..from china

Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:34 pm

I bought a dress from a dressmaker in China, not from ebay though and I was really disappointed, the quality was cheap and nasty :(. I ended buying a second dress from a store.

HOWEVER, I know 2 other girls who had dresses made in China and they looked nice, I think it depends what the style is. do you have any pics?

If your wedding isnt until late 2013 can you start saving and buy one in store?

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:43 pm

Personally I would not - I have been on wedding forums for quite a while and I would guess the success v failure rate is 50/50 - personally I would not be willing to gamble the $300 or so you need to spend to get a knock off gown.

If budget is an issue, a lot of bridal salons do have a rack of clearance gowns for usually $500 - $1,000. Otherwise consider ordering a bridesmaids dress in white or ivory. And don't forget that most stores allow very extended lay by :)

bec31
Topic Author

Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:25 pm

Some of the dress's on ebay are very stunning and the one i have found i really love. This dress is through Ava Bridal and they have a showroom in Braeside VIC, but i'm in tas and they only have about 20 dress's in the showroom anyway - mine not one of them.
w186.jpg

I guess you could say that it is a budget thing. I want to look beautiful on my big day (don't we all) but i'm really tight when it comes to lashing out money on expensive things when i will only ever wear it the once.
I love this dress so much, that so far nothing even compares to it, but i tend to always let the price be the deciding factor.

However looks like i have made up my mind to look in the shops and hope that they have 6 + months layby terms...

bec31
Topic Author

Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:29 am

Thank you girls,

I think i have changed my mind about ordering a dress from ebay. I was always a little hesitant about ordering a dress but the customer feedback assured me that it would be ok. But as i can be really picky, i would hate to think that the dress i ordered was not up to standard for me once i received it THEN i would be out buying another dress anyway.

Hi Misspony - I will head onover to the tassie forum :)

Miss Michelle
I need a title
I need a title

Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:19 pm

I think it really depends and in my opinion is not worth the risk. My SIL bought a designer copy from China and it looked great, she deliberately ordered it a bit bigger to allow for alterations. This dress cost her $300 buuuuut... once you add on the $250 it cost her to get altered and $250 on another dress she had ordered from a different site that wasn't good quality - that's $800. I'm sure you could find a gorgeous second hand dress for under $1000 or would you consider taking the image to a dressmaker? They can often make the dress very reasonably, especially if you can get away with cheaper material and not too many embellishments.

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:52 pm

I agree that you are better of with second hand than a rip off - at least you know what you are getting with a second hand gown and if you buy it locally you can inspect it before buying.

StephMT
Can't wait to set a date
Can't wait to set a date

Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:54 pm

I have 5 dresses, there are bargains to have out there and its original

1st Dress. Simple bridesmaid dress that comes in white. Most BM dresses come in both white and ivory so if you want a simple design this is a possibility
2nd and 3rd dress. Floor stock from a discontinued line
4th dress. Bridal shop went under new management and was no longer stocking this label so was clearing out display stock
5th Dress. Ebay. Girl ordered online and it didn't fit her so she onsold it

west49th

Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:33 am

A lot of bridal stores have a discount section that have their ex-display/sample gowns that might just need minor repairs or drycleaning. It's hit and miss as to what you'll get but at least you can try them on and see how they fit and you might just grab a bargain.

I tried on a lovely sample dress at a bridal store in Perth, unfortunately it didn't suit me but if it had I'd have saved a couple of grand on the normal price.

bec31
Topic Author

Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:18 am

Thanks for all the advice. I have spotted something secondhand and will have a proper look at it over the weekend.

Have since decided to stay away from buying online.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.17