A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here
Topic Author

Re: Feeling bad turning this supplier down

Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:13 pm

My advice is not so sensible - given the effort she has gone through I would place an order of a few hundred dollars at least and then source a selection of cheaper candles to fluff it out. Its just me. If someone helps me out I like to help them too :)

Lanta Bride
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:15 am

I was going to say the same as LIW...buy some and then buy some other ones cheaper elsewhere
They probably aren't expensive if you are buying a few at a market or for a gift...it's more the fact that lots are needed I guess

MoolieMoo
I survived and got married

Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:48 pm

You could always give her a token sum of cash (for her efforts) - or send her something for Christmas as a thank you.

I'd like to add that you are such a nice person to be worried about this, but at the end of the day you're not responsible for her.

Good luck with everything.

KG'sGirl
I need a title
I need a title

Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:53 pm

I agree with LIW- maybe buy some of her bigger candles and buy cheaper votive candles.

Maybe suggest to her that with bigger orders she should offer packages that bring down the price - like buying bulk you dont pay the single price for 100 candles.

Miss Michelle
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:22 am

L.I.W wrote:
My advice is not so sensible - given the effort she has gone through I would place an order of a few hundred dollars at least and then source a selection of cheaper candles to fluff it out. Its just me. If someone helps me out I like to help them too :)

I think that this is a great idea if you are able to work it into your budget.

gdemon
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:43 am

Miss Michelle wrote:
L.I.W wrote:

I think that this is a great idea if you are able to work it into your budget.

I like this idea too. Or similar to an earlier suggestion, pay her for the free samples.

Do you have to hire the votive glasses from her? Maybe you could try to source cheap votive glasses. I'm not sure what size you are after but I've seen nice glasses for $1 - $2 at dollar stores and maybe you could bulk order online for cheaper.

Agree with Monsoon Princess that Australian handmade items are always going to be more expensive. The lady can't lower her costs through economies of scale unlike big factories.

Wombatta

Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:35 am

You are so sweet to be thoughtful about the supplier... I do like the idea of paying for the samples and postage, then simply explain that the entire order is unfortunately over your budget.
Who knows maybe she may come back to you, with a lower budget option or source cheaper materials.

bronzestar

Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:00 pm

I would go with what LIW said. Buy some of the candles and pad it out with cheaper candles. I would be thanking that candle maker but also politely explaining that her products are prohibitively expensive.

A whole room full of nicely scented candles could be quite overpowering. That's how I would justify it to myself anyway :lol:

KG'sGirl
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:20 pm

Agape wrote:
I would lie ... and tell her you are postponing the wedding. Thank her for her services and tell her (or lie to her) that you were very impressed with your product and will use her when you finally get married.

I know it is bad lying, but if you haven't got the $$$ for the candles and a honeymoon ... I would be picking the honeymoon

I actually did this with a supplier that I was looking into!

If your budget is that tight then defintely pick the honeymoon!

sazbear

Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:47 am

Hmmm candles or a honeymoon..... i know what i'd choose. To be brutally honest and at the end of the day you will be the only one that recognises if these candles are handmade or not.

As a business owner in the events industry you need to understand that they are exactly that... a business. I would be completely up front and tell her that they are a bit too far out of your budget, this will lead to one of 3 possible outcomes.... 1. That is the end of the transation. 2. She may meet you half way and come to a price that suits you and her. OR 3. Prompt her to look at her current prices and how they compete in the current market... are they really affordable in comparission to other handmade products on the market?

Either way you will be doing yourself a favour by being honest and upfront.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.06