A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

MrsPtoB
Topic Author

making your own wedding dress, any one done it?

Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:31 pm

when my fiance first proposed to me my immediate thought was I'm so gonna make my dress!
then i had my baby and times all got hectic! i went out dress shopping and thought it's just easier to buy it. which it still would be! but now i'm in the swing of things with the kids, i'm back in the mindset of making my dress. i think it would be a great project, and would be such a special thing to be able to wear my own creation, and i want to make as much as possible to cut down on costs!
so, has any one made their own dress?
i'm thinking of crocheting something, or crocheting something to go over a satin dress.... love to hear from any one who did this or part of it!

coco2003
I need a title
I need a title

Re: making your own wedding dress, any one done it?

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:54 pm

I didn't but I made my BM dresses.

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:36 pm

I have heard of devices called sewing machines. I think they live in the little store that I take all of my broken clothes to be fixed at. :lol:

No there is no freaking way I did or could have made a wedding dress! I would however love to see photos of any ladies have made!

magpieC
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:44 pm

I'm in the process of doing mine, it's almost an exact copy of another dress I've made before but this time I've fixed the problems I had in the last one (that's why I started so long out so I have plenty of time to do the trial and error fitting process before I cut out my silk) and I'm using nicer fabrics because when else do I get to pull out the silk brocade.
I would buy mine but we're having a medieval themed wedding so the only options are pay somebody to custom make it for me or make it myself as I have 2 good friends who are pro dressmakers, one of them her whole business is centred around making historical reproductions, the other's business is making corsets but they are both going to cost about $1,000 for their time (plus the $600 I spent on fabrics for the two of us) and I don't have that sort of money.

MrsPtoB
Topic Author

Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:29 pm

yes well at this stage i'm thinking i'm looking for a simple fitted white satin type dress, then i can crochet something to go over the top, seperate or joined i'm not sure yet. it will be less work this way, i'm a better knitter/ crocheter than sewer! still hunting for the right dress tho! will keep you updated!

MrsPtoB
Topic Author

Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:28 pm

i decided to collect doilies and crochet them together over a plain slip.much like this idea, not this style mine would haave been more fitting and longer.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ANTIQUE-Broo ... 3f1fad3a0f

i'm still kind of doing this...but today i think i found my dress anyway!! it was so gorgeous i just bought it! it's a beautiful vintage dress and was very cheap!!!

:bdance:
GZIP: On | Load: 0.12