A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Foreign_Soul
Topic Author

Help please!

Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:50 pm

Seriously need help!

My fiancé and I don't have a lot of money and will be paying for everything ourselves as I have almost no family, who can't help out and may not even be able to attend, and my partner has very little family either. :(

We have decided on where our wedding will be as my fiancé's sister owns a farm across the road from a beach and is more than happy for us to have our wedding there, she's also going to do the photography for free, as her gift to us (she is a professional photographer). :)
We're only going to have 20-30 guests who will have to find their own way down and either stay at the farm or pay for their own accommodation as we simply can't afford that cost. There won't be any flowers, or at least not real, as we both have severe allergies and I intend on making the invitations myself which will mean very little cost there.

Besides this we have no idea where to find anything or even what we should be looking for other than organising food! Our budget really is tiny- we can't afford to spend more than about 2-3k and even that will seriously be pushing it!

Any ideas or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

mrcm1166
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: Help please!

Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:16 pm

I am having a small wedding with around 30 people and its coming in under $2000

everyone is flying in from interstate and have organised accommodation, I did the ground work for that for them and gave them suggestions with various costs in mind.

my dress I got for $100, I am not having a traditional dress, so went for one from the bridesmaids section of the store and found exactly what I wanted, so my suggestion for your dress is look at bridesmaids or formal dresses, cuts the costs down in a big way and you can get them in white or ivory etc

flowers I am having silk flowers, because I have allergies too, I am putting together three different sorts of flowers into the bouquet and thats costing $25 with me doing it

attendants, we are having one each, both our sons are being our witnesses and they have their own suits (its not an issue if they are matching but they are wearing dark suits so thats fine)

our celebrant cost $395, and he had a special on at the time we booked him so that helped, it would normally have been $550, thats seems to be the average cost of a celebrant but do your research on this.

my partner already had his suit so no cost there

our wedding rings, we wanted claggagh rings and searched the internet to find the ones we wanted and ordering them now, with postage they will cost $120

transport: we are just having one of our guests drive me to the ceremony, no one will see the car so no point in spending unnecessary costs on that.

it cost us $60 for the permit for the rotunda

my hair and makeup (including trials) is $140 and I am going to the hairdressers rather than them come to me (again extra costs included there)

our reception is a lunchtime one, depending on final numbers it will be at the hotel across from the park or if more than expected arrive then it will be lunch at our house with deli platters from woolworths and some chickens and salads.

our cake we didnt want a mudcake as we both dont like them so ordering a sponge cake from local bakery and having a few other cakes as well.

photographer is my niece (professional photographer)

you will need to think of tables and chairs for the reception, check out hire places for those.

invitations, guest book, programs and tears of joy tissue packs I have done myself, check out the internet for printable or download templates for these, there are heaps out there.

it can be done, with a lot of research and diy.

good luck

seaweed
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:59 am

With just a small wedding, you could afford a really nice cake without it costing the earth. Ring Coral from Coral's Cakes on 0413 226219, very reasonably priced and free delivery.

mrcm1166
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:15 pm

I think the main thing is you both have to decide what is the important things to include in the wedding and go from there.

Foreign_Soul
Topic Author

Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:05 am

Thank you for your replies, there's certainly a lot to figure out!

Unfortunately I've never actually been to my FSIL farm so I have no idea what it's like or what is available but she is going to take some photos and send them to us. Luckily I spent a huge part of my childhood in the area so I know I'll like it no matter what!

I've looked at a few hire places and will get some quotes once we've figured out a few more details.
Finding a caterer is proving far more difficult as it's a pretty isolated area and we don't want anything too fussy.
Transport isn't an issue as everything will be in the same place or, at most, a walk across the road.
I don't wear make-up so that's not an issue and I'll do my own hair as I can't stand other people touching it! The bridal party will either do their own or I will as I see no point paying someone to do what we already can.
The bridal party will be very small- I only plan on having two bridesmaids, if that, plus my son. I've found some nice dresses I like for under $50 so it's just a matter of seeing what suits people.

My dress however is proving impossible. I cannot find anything under about $2000 that is even close to what I want! I don't like big dresses or trains so OTR is basically out unless a miracle happens! Apparently simple and small is more expensive than big and fussy. At this point I'm seriously considering making it myself, provided I can do a mock up relatively ok. :/

Wedding Girl

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:04 pm

Sounds strange but have you considered a picnic? I organised a magnificent wedding where they had a picnic in the grounds of their home. All of the guests received a basket containing a picnic rug, cutlery & crockery, mini champagne, bottle of wine, snacks, gourmet rolls, cheese plate, chocolates bag between 2 (think a romantic picnic for 2 x 20). If you are smart about it you should be able to get the whole thing done for well under $2000. That does away with all of the catering costs, tables, chairs, marquees, power ect. and creates a beautiful atmosphere. You could get umbrellas and a duo or soloist to provide the music to give a little more atmosphere.

As all of the baskets can be prepared in advance, there is no need for staff and you can enlist a few people to help you put them together in the lead up to the wedding. And the guests can keep the basket and rug as a gift.

It was one of the most beautiful, intimate and classy weddings i have been to. The bride and groom also had a bomboniere table of books they had read, jams they made, seedlings they grew. Weddings dont all have to be the structured sit in a row functions, this is a great option for a smaller group.

Also if you want to save on a dress, search on Deb dresses, they are usually about 1/2 the price of "wedding" dresses and are often exactly the same, the stores know brides have more to spend than 16 year old girls. Otherwise try somewhere like Lisa Ho, beautiful designer gowns for between 700-$1000

KateM
It's between Me and Steve McQueen
It's between Me and Steve McQueen

Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:02 pm

OP can you post some pics for dresses that are in the style you like? What is your dress budget?

Foreign_Soul
Topic Author

Sat May 25, 2013 3:40 pm

Having looked at catering options there's only really two in the area and both are actually quite reasonable- about $40 per head, less for children. One includes crockery and cutlery in their price and have tables for hire at $15 (we'd only need about 4), the other has pretty much everything for hire and also does lay-by which would be great for us! We don't need to worry about a marquee or anything as there are plenty of sheds on the farm we can use!

We've finally set a date too- 22nd March 2014! Our colours are going to be a purple and blue- haven't quite figured out exactly what will be what colour but there MUST be purple!
Our biggest issue now is the guest list. My FH has a huge family- 55 close relatives- where as I have next to none which is making the entire idea of a wedding somewhat depressing. :|

These are the two dresses I like, tried both on and will be going back with friends in a couple of weeks but will probably go with the second one as it's much more my style.

Annie&Pete
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon May 27, 2013 11:19 am

GZIP: On | Load: 0.08