A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Anberlee
Topic Author

Cake vs Homemade stuff

Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:49 pm

Hey guys,

I don't particularly want a cake. I was considering making my own special dish at home (it's become our bring a long when we go to birthdays etc) but apparently this is bad?
What exactly does the cake cutting signify?
Why can't I pre make my own?
:(

KateM
It's between Me and Steve McQueen

Re: Cake vs Homemade stuff

Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:43 pm

What exactly does the cake cutting signify? Nothing. Cake is simply a tradition at celebrations.
Why can't I pre make my own? You can.

Personally, I don't think i'd want something that I make all the time that people have had heaps of times before, but if that's what you want, do it! Just bear in mind that you'll have plenty to do in the lead up to the wedding, so don't over extend yourself with needing to cook as well.

seaweed
I need a title
I need a title

Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:06 am

Your wedding cake is the centrepiece of your reception, it is in your photos for all time. It is also what you give your guests to eat, and if you want to save money, it can be used as dessert. The reason to get someone else to make it for you, is that you want to be as stressfree as possible leading up to your wedding. Making and decorating a wedding cake is not exactly stress free, because it is for such an important occasion it has to be perfect. Making the same old dessert that you have every other time is not going to cut it for your wedding, it won't be special enough.

KateM

Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:08 am

rubywoo wrote:
BUT, most reception venues will only allow cakes made by professional bakeries to be served. Food and safety, and whatnot.

My aunt made my cake. She is not a professional. My venue never asked me where it came from, so I'm not sure that's true.

seaweed wrote:
Your wedding cake is the centrepiece of your reception, it is in your photos for all time. It is also what you give your guests to eat, and if you want to save money, it can be used as dessert. The reason to get someone else to make it for you, is that you want to be as stressfree as possible leading up to your wedding. Making and decorating a wedding cake is not exactly stress free, because it is for such an important occasion it has to be perfect. Making the same old dessert that you have every other time is not going to cut it for your wedding, it won't be special enough.

Honestly seaweed, I don't think that the majority of brides place this much significance on their wedding cake. I think its absolutely fine if its very imporant to you, but my cake wasn't the centrepiece of my reception - because I didn't make it so. It's in a small handful of photos. Had I had no cake at all, my wedding would not have been any less significant. In fact, I only had a cake because my dad LOVES wedding fruitcake. I didn't even eat any.

mrcm1166
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:36 pm

we werent going to have a cake then after having a good chat we decided we would to provide the dessert for our guests.

our is a very very casual and small wedding, neither of us like mudcake so that was never an option, fruit cake isnt that popular with the people that we have invited so we decided on a simple sponge made by one of the local bakers, they are going to decorate it with the colours of the wedding and adding some nice flowers on top.

it wont be the centrepeice of the day, because to us its not a major part of the wedding.

I think each person is different and we all do what is right for us and our personalities

seaweed
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:19 am

Yep, you are correct when you say that for you your cake wasn't that important. But for me it is, and after talking to my clients it is for them too. But it is probably because I am so caught up with it. I wouldn't have a business in this field if I felt any different I suppose. Oh well, for each their own.

Annie&Pete
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon May 27, 2013 11:10 am

I'm making my own cakes.

#1 it's saving me $650 (the place we're having our reception, if you go through them for the cake you HAVE to go to this expensive place)
#2 everyone loves my cakes
#3 I can make them over a week in advance
#4 we have a 6 course meal, and I know the cake will be wasted, so I'm making single serves people can take home & not waste, and just a small top layer for us to cut & bridal table to eat/pick at lol
#5 they're totally cute as :D
GZIP: On | Load: 0.31