A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Zoe Peta
All Grown Up
All Grown Up
Topic Author

I wish someone told me..............before my wedding day.

Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:46 am

Hi ladies, I thought I would start this thread up, for all of those getting married to get one piece of advice from those that are already married.

I wish someone told me that if you have a corset bodice, that eating dinner is a non-event. You are squished so tightly into your gown that there is not much room for eating. I ate about 4 forkfulls off my plate, before I was to full! If I was prepared for that, I wouldnt have been so dissapointed about not eating!

Bakaness
I have Unpopular Opinions
I have Unpopular Opinions

Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:04 am

Yeah, I can second the corset thing - my BMs and I loosened ours around the middle in order to eat. Also - have food waiting for you when you get back after the reception, because as soon as the corset comes off, you'll start feeling hungry.

Also, lipstick. I just had my make-up person put lippy on, but it didn't last all day - I should have gotten one for her to use, so that I could touch it up (especially during the reception).

If you're getting married outdoors, don't wear stilletos. If the ground is at all moist, you'll sink right into it. (Yes, I was the only person who didn't heed my advice of "moderately sensible shoes")

LOU
Mrs Lou AKA Wifey
Mrs Lou AKA Wifey

Re: I wish someone told me..............before my wedding da

Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:46 am

Zoe Peta wrote:
I wish someone told me that if you have a corset bodice, that eating dinner is a non-event. You are squished so tightly into your gown that there is not much room for eating. I ate about 4 forkfulls off my plate, before I was to full! If I was prepared for that, I wouldnt have been so dissapointed about not eating!

OMG are you serious, crap my dress is a corset dress and OMG the food is sensational at our venue... So I will definately be loosening my corset just before walking in... Thanks girls... :wink:

mogle
~Urban Queen~
~Urban Queen~

Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:57 am

^ I'm glad I didn't have a corseted dress after reading that! The food at our wedding was superb and I made a point of eating everything on my plate!!

I wish someone had told me to make sure the photographer knows exactly what photos you want. We missed out on a few we would have liked, and although we adore what we have - they are gorgeous!!! - it still bothers me a bit that we are missing photos of some things.

I can't think of anything else though - I pretty much expected everything and planned for it all.

tlw
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:58 am

I am not married yet, but a good piece of advice that I have received is to make sure that you make time for just you and FH during the day. It will wizz by so fast, create moments to remember for just the two of you.

kirst_dan
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:06 pm

Thank you for the Bodice advice, that's gold! & the shoes! I have so much to think about.

I'm going to put together emergency kits & I've had all the boys laughing at me telling me it's such a "mum" thing to do, but they'll be laughing on the other side of their face when they need a panadol!

nov_bride
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:10 pm

I'm yet to be married (not long now though..) but my BM gave me a couple of great pieces of advice in regards to the car:

1. Ask whoever you are getting the car from NOT to black the tyres as it could rub off onto your dress.
2. Get in the car from the other side that you plan on getting out of (slide yourself across the seat) especially if you have a big dress. It saves getting your dress all crumpled up.

Thought they were handy and things that I wouldn't think of myself

lochness
Papillon Princess
Papillon Princess

Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:38 pm

Have a clean room for the photographer to work in with regard to taking your at home shots. Honestly it will make all the difference, even tidy up your own bedroom if that is where you are getting ready and honestly a full length mirror (like one your grandma used to own) is incredibly helpful.

Organise for some finger sandwiches or non dripable nibbles at home whilst you are getting ready, you will not eat for ages, and it will settle the nerves.

Have your bm's ready at least 1/2 an hour before you, after all they are there to help you, not the other way around

If getting married outside, get someone to take warm cloaks or throws for you incase it is windy or suddenly gets chilly, ocean breezes can be unpredictable.

If you are wearing those plastic boobs that hold up your own boobs, TRY THEM ON AND WEAR THEM A WHOLE DAY PRIOR, same goes with invisible tape.

Have a designated person to 'find' people for photos, you dont realise how hard it is to get a family together and where it is possible for them to go when you need them.

Dont sweat the small stuff, relax and enjoy

Charlotte_x
I survived and got married

Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:06 pm

I found that on the morning of the actual day... we were talking about everything but the wedding when we were getting our hair and makeup done... it helped settle the nerves a bit...

Have a good breakfast but stay away from orange juice cos it definitely wont help your nerves..

Help your BM get ready first then they can help you altogether to get your dress on...

Dont be conscious of how you look... All brides look gorgeous and beautiful. Your photos will come back better.

Have fun when you dance, dont stay strictly to anything you can choreographed... Have fun and enjoy yourself!

If anything minor happens... dont worry about it. Dont let something small ruin the day!

chrissyk
I'm the Bride...I Decide!
I'm the Bride...I Decide!

Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:16 pm

what a great thread! :D
thanks girls

KritalJay
Princess VHM
Princess VHM

Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:22 am

I'm not married yet either but for Zoe Peta's wedding it was a great idea and I'll be using it for our wedding. On the morning of the wedding when all the girls are getting ready it's best to wear something that you can unbutton or unzip. It just made it so much easier for when you are getting your makeup, hair and finally getting into your dress.

Mason
I'm no Angel, but I'm His Angel!
I'm no Angel, but I'm His Angel!

Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:07 pm

Keep 'em coming gals, I love this thread & it was very nice of you to start it Zoe! :D

mogle
~Urban Queen~
~Urban Queen~

Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:09 pm

Another good idea - use an elastic band to attach a tissue/handkerchief to the handle of your bouquet. It will be within quick reach if tears start to flow, it's hidden by your flowers, and you won't have to hold onto it separately.

mrs_yole2B

Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:13 pm

Here are some tips I have collected from other Brides from their wedding preparations.
:arrow: Don't send your invitations out on a rainy day, especially if you plan to use a public mailbox. All that rain and dampness may damage the paper and cause the ink to run.

:arrow: Wedding details you'll want your photographer to capture: invitation close-up, table card, favors on tables, bouquet and centerpiece close-ups.

:arrow: Keep a photo of your wedding gown in your wallet for inspiration—especially for those moments when that sugary snack is screaming your name!

:arrow: When you've licked and addressed your invites...DONT stack them in a pile straight away or put them together with a rubber band, otherwise you end up with 70 envelopes partially stuck together that need to be ripped apart and redone, all...over....again!

:arrow: If you have the time..address your thankyou cards envelopes when you are addressing the invite ones, sounds anal but its saves time later with another thing you have to do after the wedding that you just can't be bothered doing!

:arrow: put thought into planning your meal the night before the wedding- no garlic! no dodgy takeaway food that could give you an upset tummy.

:arrow: give someone your digital camera for the day, its instant pics for you the next day and you don't have to chase family members for copies of theirs

:arrow: don't drink too much fluid until you get to reception, there is nothing worse than being in a fully hooped heavy gown trying to enjoy the moment- busting for a pee!

:arrow: Write individual cards out to all the people you really want to thank personally for whatever reason and have them placed on their seat at the reception. These way if you freeze in the speech, or leave someone out by mistake, you won't end up regretting not thanking someone.

I have more saved if you're interested, I thought that might be enough for today! :D

ziella
Taking the Train to the Chapel
Taking the Train to the Chapel

Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:20 pm

More....

I love these advice threads... Give me all you have

Summer Bride
I want it all
I want it all

Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:06 pm

mrs_yole2B wrote:
:arrow: give someone your digital camera for the day, its instant pics for you the next day and you don't have to chase family members for copies of theirs

Ooh that's a good one! Thanks Mrs Yole :D

MrsG2B!
Butterfly Girl
Butterfly Girl

Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:09 pm

This thread is awesome! keep em coming ladies!

mrs_yole2B

Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:58 pm

Some more I've found/ heard from friends:
:arrow: Eat a light supper to get a better night's rest, limiting yourself to protein and veggies. Fish and turkey both contain calming tryptophan, which will help you sleep.

:arrow: When getting ready dont wear a bra, or wear a strapless - avoid being a gorgeous bride in a strapless dress with big bra strap lines!

:arrow: If your wearing a bathrobe when getting your hair and makeup done the morning off tuck the collar in - it can pull small bits of your hair loose at the bottom and give you wispy's

:arrow: At the reception dont let go of your hubbys hand - tour around the tables together because once your seperated its hard to get back together again!!

:arrow: If your bridesmaids have ankle-length dresses, ensure they do not wear diamonte shoes unless there is a layer of lacquer on them. The diamontes can get caught on the dress and damage it.

:arrow: Consider whether any of your bridesmaids have hayfever when choosing flowers.

:arrow: Take straws for the drinks - stops your makeup from smudging

kath301107
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:28 pm

Great thread idea ZP!

One I was told the other day was to get a spare button hole for your groom - with all the hugging etc it tends to get crushed. You can put the spare one on him for the photos so it doesn't look swashed!

Bella_Bride
Goddess of Chat
Goddess of Chat

Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:30 am

^ I've certainly taken that one into consideration :)
GZIP: On | Load: 0.09