A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

nicolebaxter92
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: I wish someone told me..............before my wedding day.

Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:30 pm

Great thread! It just took me all mornig to read through from the first page :D Worth it though!

MrsKo2b

Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:26 pm

.... To have a plan B with everything. I did not :(

Miss2Mrs
Happily Ever After
Happily Ever After

Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:27 pm

this is just the best idea girls, this thread is GREAT!!
Please please dont stop... It is so much help & ill be sure to come back with any advice after im married to help too!
Some fantastic ideas :D

countrygal

Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:49 pm

--> Don't put your sunglasses on after you get your makeup done because it will leave a noticeable mark on the bridge of your nose.

--> Take on board lots of these tips (they are GREAT) but dont stress about them on the day ... Walking down the aisle (for instance) - I was soo emotional, I kind of stumbled/ran/hobbled on my parents arms .. There are some things you just cant plan for.

Kwitty
Princess Kwits
Princess Kwits

Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:41 pm

--- Don't let everyone wait until the last minute to get ready - I was ready and everyone was rushing around! As a side note, everyone forgot to comment on how I looked because they were so busy, and on the day it made me a bit insecure!

--- My bike pant gut-busting-undies kept rolling up to the top of my thighs. It was annoying! So get longer ones if you can, maybe.

kyliemartin79
Lady K
Lady K

Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:19 pm

Ha countrygirl I could have told you that and I'm not even married yet, as I am always walking around with two great big line marks on my cheek bones after taking off my sunnies, my Fh is always laughing at me :oops: And as for walking down the aisle/carpet I can just imagine how nervous and excited you would be, but at least you managed to stay standing. I thought your wedding looked gorgeous, so you didnt have to worry! And Kwitty I dont think I will be wearing one of those suit things but that is a great tip, as their is nothing more annoying then having undies ride up your legs and always wanting to pull them down.

lill_kitten
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:58 am

A tip i got was put a bit of vaseleen on the inside of your rings, makes them slip on nicely

MrsKo2b

Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:22 pm

Have someone to remind you to reapply lippy after kissing your DH because you want to look lovely for the photos!

ritikasingh700

Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:28 pm

I love the advice about making special moments for the two of you on the day... thanks girls :heart: :heart:

Miss2Mrs
Happily Ever After
Happily Ever After

Sat May 02, 2009 6:07 pm

Same, told FH & he said it was a good idea. Same as when we do it one time try & sneak outside & take a few piccies of the guests!!

karli_5

Sun May 31, 2009 8:42 pm

write a list of people you DEFINATELY want photos with. no matter how much you think you will remember, you won't!! someone told me to do this, and i didnt, and hence i now have no photos with my brother apart from our family shot. make me and my mum super sad!! :(

Anna33

Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:32 pm

This is great! Heaps of things that I wouldn't have even thought of... I'll check closer to the wedding day (November) for any updates..
I've heard the day goes very fast and to sit back every hour or so and take it all in. In regards to shoes (I know it sounds a bit bogan) I'm getting some sneakers personalised for the reception... they'll be under my dress so no one will see them and I'll be comfy!

Miss2Mrs
Happily Ever After
Happily Ever After

Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:18 pm

bump

:-)

savethebride

Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Good thread ladies!
Tips:
1. Shopping for dresses - you are entitled to LOOK! Don't listen to assistants who tell you they need a deposit that day. If you called them two weeks later, they will still take your money! (But note many boutique dresses are made in China (even if the designer is from the States) so they do actually need a bit more time to send your booking to the factory).

2. Boiling in your dress - most dresses have cheap acetate lining. Talk about boil in a bag! If you are having your dress made, ask the dressmaker or couturier to upgrade you to silk habotai (also sp. habutai) lining. It's light, anti-static and breathes. It wholesales for about $10 per metre so they shouldn't charge you the earth for this and it makes a HUGE difference.

3. Think about the weight of the dress when you try it on. Some of them weigh 15 kgs and you're knackered after 6 hours in it.

4. It is not acceptable that you need to take your dress off to pee!! The dress should be designed so that this most essential task can be undertaken, whatever the style.

5. Nothing to do with dresses :P - if your ceremony and reception venues are some distance apart, don't take too long for photos. It's really annoying for a guests to taxi to the church, taxi to a pub/cafe for two hours, taxi to the reception and taxi home.

6. If you live in Melbourne and have out of town visitors, email them a map of the ceremony and reception locations because the taxi drivers here are sooooooo bad! My dad was one hour late to my sister's wedding because the taxi driver didn't know how to get from South Yarra to South Wharf!

savethebride

Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:17 pm

Two more...

*If your dress has lots of buttons... take a crochet hook in your kit so your new hubby can easily flick the buttons undone :wink:

*Ask your attendants to remove any solitaire rings and other jewellery that could catch on the lace/silk of your dress when they help you dress. (I killed my husband's tie when he was MC at a wedding by snagging it!)

bonnyh
Mrs BOOny P.
Mrs BOOny P.

Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:42 pm

even tho its been said before,
don't stress the little things, and if you see yourself doing so stop and think,
Will this matter in 10 years time when I'm remembering my day!

Oh and I forgot,
our photographer and celebrant both said to us, when placing the rings on each others fingers, put your hand UNDER the finger so you can see your fingers placing the ring on his finger.

angel_gabs
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:06 pm

Hmm not sure if these have been said :)
1. Eat things throughout the day when getting ready, even when you aren't hungry. We had mini yohgurts, museli bars and fruit platters available all morning while we getting ready to just graze and snack on so I ate without feeling like I was eating IYKWM!
2. Pack snacks and water for location shoot. I had a little cold bag with those mini cheese and cracker snack packs in there, and small bottles of water. By 4pm we all realised that we hadn't eaten or had water for HOURS so we had a mini picnic on location!
3. Eat your dinner. or lunch. Or canapes.Or whatever it is that you have planned and stressed over. It is too easy to get caught up and not eat, but food was a big part of our reception and I made sure that I stopped and ate with my husband on the night. And even sat down and ate my cake (and some of his) without him :)
4. Ok one not about food. It was organising the little details that I enjoyed the most - in the planning and on the day. Most people aren't going to notice everything and it may not be traditional, or have done before in your family or whatever the reasons are. But looking back, it's the little, quirky, 'personality' parts of our ceremony/reception/decorations that stand out and made the day ours. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, do it if you love it.
5. Something will be less than perfect. It is called odds. You are dealing with so many vendors and objects and details and variables that inevidably something won't work our perfectly. Accept it now, and don't give it a second thought on the day. My DH and our groomsmen forgot to put on their lovely orchid buttonholes and left his parents corsage/buttonhole behind as well. Shrug. Our band wasn't as seasoned and professional as we'd been led to believe. Shrug. One of my cousins who I didn't want to invite but had to was a psycho and did her best to steal attention and be a general git. Shrug. :D You get the idea.
6. And lastly. Families are strange entities and for some reason the reactions and behaviours from some family will be unexpected when it comes to weddings. Sometimes in a good way, more often, not so much. Try not to get sucked in to the vortex of emotion and try to believe that everyone loves you and is just trying to help. And then only do what you really believe is the right thing. It is true that a marriage is for the couple, the wedding for their community but only within reason so make sure it is a day that reflects what you think is important as well as having a happy Mum and Dad.

Samantha Lee
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:20 pm

Bump.....again :D :D

zapiabianca

Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:07 am

These are such great ideas.. very helpful when youre feeling a bit unsure

gizmo_girl

Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:49 pm

We had our wedding in January, and i thought the weather would be beautiful and sunny...who wants rain on your wedding day? Turns out thou, it was one of the *hottest* days you could imagine, 38 degrees and high humidity. The church had no air con, the boys had double breasted suits, and the flowers wilted. Plus, i got the shiny make up thing going on. Then at the reception, it rained! The wedding was fun, but the unpredictable and extreme weather kinda dictated a lot of how it went. I work for an events company, and we use this site to help pick the right day for our events...it gives you a weather forecast up to 12 months in advance! Morning, middle of the day and evening...so even if its sunny during the day but rains at night, you can be prepared. I'd recommend it if you are right at the beginning of your wedding planning and want to knock the risk out of picking that all important date. Check it out: http://www.eventweather.com
GZIP: On | Load: 0.13