A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

anaestmia

Re: I wish someone told me..............before my wedding day.

Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:39 pm

With all the corsetry stuff on the first page, buy a cheap little corset off ebay, lace it up under your clothing, and get used to doing daily tasks in them. Don't make your first 8 hours wearing one your wedding day. I now wear a steal one to work as waist training.

Have a plan c as well as b. A friend of mine was married last weekend, it poured. She had planned to move the wedding indoors. However, the venue was in such a place that a lot of her guests were flooded out.

If providing alcohol but not at a venue, delegate one of the bigger males in your party to deal with anyone who can't be responsible.

anaestmia

Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:07 pm

jhilik wrote:
Just checked and the web address gizmogirl mentioned - and it's actually is http://www.eventweather.com.auand it uses past statistics to give you a range of what the weather may be.

Eg. 20-24 degrees. So it doesn't claim to be exact but is a good indication. It does cost money thoguh - 6.95 to check one date, and it gets cheaper the more dates you want to check.

I think I'll use it though, as mine is 7th Aug in Melbourne. I'm sure I'll see rain, rain and more rain! But there's no such thing as too much info when planning a wedding.

Try weatherzone.com. Probably about equally accurate and free.

amz86
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:15 pm

im still 11 months from getting married but this thread is so helpful

none of my BM have been in wedding before. All the females in my family and FMI didnt get married formally .....went to reg office or similar

without this thread i would have no idea what to do roflmao

keep the hints coming

FutureMrsBullock

Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:06 pm

I still have over 2 years untill my wedding but i am loving this :D lots of things to add to my list of things to have people do/ watch out for on the day :heart:

Caroline101

Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:25 pm

Get your rings polished and rhodium plated and cleaned 2 weeks before your wedding day! Sometimes I think we get too busy about all other things and neglete our rings.
Some jewellers like moi moi jewellery offer free service for your E ring and band when you buy from them and also free re-size too so that is really good to make use of it before the big day!

millie
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:24 pm

Try not to be distracted during the ceremony and really focus on what's going on!

Spanna500

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:28 pm

Not so much a told me as so much as wish I had listened lol. It goes so fast the day. Remember to eat!
Remember to breath and take it all in.
Don't focus on the small stuff, think bigger picture.
All the "fun stuff" I had made for my guests ( wedding ispy, treasure hunt etc) all got forgotten about when they realized we'd set up a photo frame/prop area which was a last second idea my bridesmaid suggested......
The bridal emergency kit is handy! Put in extra plastic bags to bring home your gifts ( even thou we specified we were having a wishing well ppl still brought us gifts)
Wear waterproof mascara. I was holding it together so well until I saw my groom at the end of the aisle bawling like a baby!
Buy a small gift for ur celebrant.
It doesn't matter if ur running late. Your the bride your expected to be late ( I was 10 minutes late and was told WE had to wait as 1 of the grooms friends hadn't arrived..... :roll: ) lol
Have fun. And get as many photos as possible.

mrsWtobe
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:19 am

Spanna500 wrote:
Not so much a told me as so much as wish I had listened lol. It goes so fast the day. Remember to eat!
Remember to breath and take it all in.
Don't focus on the small stuff, think bigger picture.
All the "fun stuff" I had made for my guests ( wedding ispy, treasure hunt etc) all got forgotten about when they realized we'd set up a photo frame/prop area which was a last second idea my bridesmaid suggested......
The bridal emergency kit is handy! Put in extra plastic bags to bring home your gifts ( even thou we specified we were having a wishing well ppl still brought us gifts)
Wear waterproof mascara. I was holding it together so well until I saw my groom at the end of the aisle bawling like a baby!
Buy a small gift for ur celebrant.
It doesn't matter if ur running late. Your the bride your expected to be late ( I was 10 minutes late and was told WE had to wait as 1 of the grooms friends hadn't arrived..... :roll: ) lol
Have fun. And get as many photos as possible.

Great tips - thanks!!

Zenyatta
DIY Bride
DIY Bride

Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:59 pm

Ask your caterers not to clear away your meal or dessert if you aren't sitting at your seat. I was so busy chatting to my guests that I only got one bite of my wedding cake before it was cleared away! very disappointed!

Don't leave your guestbook on your gift table, you may find many do not write in it.

Thanks ladies for the advice here about getting some wear in my shoes before wearing them on the big day. Very good idea.

Plan your breakfast and lunch. We knew there wouldn't be time for a sit down lunch so we took nuts, biscuits and cheese/crackers to eat all morning. My mum made us veggie omelettes and coffee in the morning so we were firing on all cylinders all day. It was great.

BubS
I need a title
I need a title

Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:47 pm

Make sure you get photos with the people that really matter to you, even if it means holding things up for a few mins. Mums, Dads, grandparents, siblings etc will thank you for it afterwards.

Tracylacy
Mrs. Bart
Mrs. Bart

Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:55 pm

BubS wrote:
Make sure you get photos with the people that really matter to you, even if it means holding things up for a few mins. Mums, Dads, grandparents, siblings etc will thank you for it afterwards.

This is REALLY important - I felt bad on the day making everyone stand around, but looking back on the photos, I am so glad that we did!

Lanta Bride
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:11 am

This thread has been fantastic! Thank you so much to everyone who has offered their advice!

miss-yvette83
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:13 pm

This is a great thread! So many good ideas!

anaestmia wrote:
With all the corsetry stuff on the first page, buy a cheap little corset off ebay, lace it up under your clothing, and get used to doing daily tasks in them. Don't make your first 8 hours wearing one your wedding day. I now wear a steal one to work as waist training.

I am doing this one today!

Zenyatta
DIY Bride
DIY Bride

Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:06 pm

On that point, even though a corset might traditionally have been very tight, there's no need to wear it super tight on your wedding day. Mine was very comfortable on the day and I'm not used to wearing a corset...It doesn't look good anyway when it's too tight and you have a bit of overflow around the top of your dress.... 8O

anaestmia

Re:

Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:29 pm

Luvleebar wrote:
I've written down all the really good tips too!

I haven't had my wedding yet - it's Friday year! (Oct 26 08!!)
But here's a tip...

*Apart from a photographer, either have disposble cameras on the tables to get unique and fun shots OR designate a 'happy snap' person per table who can then bring their own digital camera. then they can feel important!

And 5 years later, I'd amend this to create a FB event so that all the digital photos that everyone is taking anyway, may be compiled easily. Don't do the invites or anything by the group, just pics.

anaestmia

Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:28 pm

Donna11 wrote:
Also, add another 25% to your budget - wedding stuff is frickin expensive and not negotiable!

Yes it is. Everything is marked up ridiculously once the word "bridal" or "wedding" is added. Vendors have a lot of room to lower prices.

mandamoo wrote:
mrsko wrote:
Don't bother to buy the "bits & bobs" for your wedding, hoping that you'll use it for your wedding. Hate to break the bad news but 9 out 10 of the time, you are not going to use the so called "bits & bobs"... save your money for the more important things ie jewellery and or shoes! :D (just thank me after your wedding)

I agree..I never had an emergency kit or bought any bits or bobs and glad i didnt

While some of the stuff listed in the emergency kit thread is a bit much, more like taking a suitcase for an overseas stay, I think panadol, tampons, mints etc, everything most women keep in their hand bags, is sort of a good idea.

Also random bit of info. The best thing to remove a blood stain, your own saliva.

daydreambeliever

Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:48 pm

anaestmia wrote:

Also random bit of info. The best thing to remove a blood stain, your own saliva.

From a nurse: I've found for me it's not. Soap and cold water if it's fresh, warm water if it's old & set. And elbow grease!

Wand33
I need a title
I need a title

Fri May 31, 2013 12:17 am

Ok here is mine

...make sure you stick to a timeline when you're getting ready and everyone knows what time they need to be done by etc. I missed out on some special photos because we were all rushing and stressed.

Other than that, everything went off smoothly. Just some things like I wish more people danced at our wedding, I kinda wished someone bought us a drink at our wedding, stuff like that, but how can you prepar for that beforehand lol not like you can kind of commit people to it before the time lol

daydreambeliever

Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:34 pm

I got married 3 weeks ago (yay!) and here is my list-I found people's input so helpful in this thread so hopefully mine helps

Most important- It's ONE day in your life. Don't forget that. Marriage is for a lifetime.
* Whatever you chose people will be disapointed- oh no dancing? I love dancing. No wedding cake? Oh I love cake (nevermind there are 3 desserts!) and so on!
* Do your day how you & FH want it, not how your families want it. We wanted a small, destination wedding with those closest to us. We had 30 guests in Port Douglas. It was perfect...for us. If you want a huge wedding with 200 people-go for it! Just don't let your family pressure you into it.
* If it's a destination wedding have at least 1 other (optional) event planned. We had a lovely BBQ the night after the wedding & DH's families huge villa. People bought their kids, swam, ate. It was a great way for me to chat to more people who I didn't get to have a good chat to the day of the wedding.
* Bridesmaids are not maids. I didn't expect anything from my bridesmaids except to plan my hens. My sister ended up having a baby & the other friend couldn't fly over. No big deal, I planned it myself & had a great time. I had very low expectations so was never upset. On the day they were perfect which is what counted to me. But remember this is much more interesting to you than to them!
* Pay for us much as you can for your bridal party. We paid for dresses, suits, ties, jewellry, hair & makeup. They wore any shoes they wanted (if we'd had special shoes I'd have paid for that)
* We emphasised no wedding presents. People already spent money flying to PD, paying for hire cars, accomodation etc. We were so touched people spent so much time and money coming up for our wedding day. So precious to us! So in return we really spoiled them (great food, wine, cocktails, fun activities etc)
* Don't go into debt. It's one day. We stayed within budget.
* Cut out unnecessary (to you) expenses & save where you can. We didn't have cars, only basic decorations, band, DJ, wedding cake etc We splurged on food, wine, cocktails (guests went crazy over the cocktails, such a hit!), photographer.
* Have a timeline & print it out and distribute it to everyone in the wedding party & both families. Couldn't believe how useful it was, especially for my in-laws. I had one for both families (Ie DH's family: 1200: Flowergirls ready; 1230: Photographer arrives) & so on.
* Have a list of all the photos you want taken. I got mine from here then added heaps (ie Bride & Siblings, Bride & Mum)
http://weddings.about.com/od/photograph ... cklist.htm
* Go over the day before the wedding (or a few days before) with the venue the menu. We had an error which is lucky we picked up. They had the wrong menu!
Also go over the wedding day plan with them.
* If it's a destination wedding go up & check everything out before you book. We were lucky & just went up after we booked but we had a short (6 month) engagement so had to book before we visted (we visited 3 months before & met photographer, had hair and makeup trial, met celebrant, met wedding organiser at our venue & chose the menu-food tasting is yum!- & chose what area the ceremony & reception would be in. Cocktail tasting was very important too ;D)
* I wish I had emphasised how important it was for a 'perfect' photo of DH and I not kissing. We have heaps of lovely photos of us but very few in which we are not kissing. Oh well-lesson learnt!

Enjjoy the day/ Don't let anything stress you out-make sure your families keep any drama away from you!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.09