A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

mllelozza
Mrs Mummy
Mrs Mummy

Re: I wish someone told me..............before my wedding day.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:54 pm

\..........
Last edited by mllelozza on Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

apmr14

Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:40 pm

Drivers for Wedding Cars: Have this sorted well in advance and locked in Eddie. We had 3 cars and 2 of the drivers pulled out the day prior (they were friends) and then we spent wedding morning calling other friends and family to see if they'd mind driving.

Hotel Accommodation: Ours was so beautiful and charming, 4 poster King size bed, spa, antique mahogany furniture... but poor lighting. Make-up was very hard to do under the big chandelier, as it was too yellow/ not bright enough. Inspect accommodation prior I say. I also recommend having a room with a lounge, lots of seating and chairs and table for hair and make-up ladies to set their stuff up on.

Ceremony: Have someone take pictures of who is sitting where once guests are seated, and before you walk in. I loved seeing where everybody sat :) Was funny to see my Nana & Pop sat on the grooms side :o . Dear old souls.

Photographer: Do make sure you feel comfortable with your photographer. I totally didn't even think about it, but I had a young guy, and didn't realise he'd be seeing us all get dressed (not naked, just getting ready :lol: ). He was very professional, but fun and laughed with us when we joked at things. They will be with you the whole day, so dont just chose them because their photos are amazing- You must be able to get along too!

People: are who they are and if they were snotty nosed things before, they ain't going to change for one night. You will be pleasantly surprised at who is so thankful to have been invited and able to share your day with you. This make you very happy.

music: No one really notices your music choices. All that effort and possible fights with hubby over which songs to chose :cry: Guests are too caught up watching you walk down the isle, looking at your dress, watching you dance or just enjoying the moment.

Your Camera: Please please please give your own camera/video to a friend to use freely on the night. One thing I forgot to do. I took mine with me in a BMS bag, but forgot to hand it out. You can never have enough photos! And plus you'll be able to see them the next day instead of waiting ages.

Weather: It is your wedding day and nothing can take that away. I had an overcast drizzly day for most part and was a bit worried it would wreck the day. IT DIDN'T. It actually made for some dramatic photos! Everyone will party, laugh and smile no matter if its raining outside or not.

Your Dress: It's important to look nice, but do not spend more than you can afford. You will look gorgeous in a $500 or a $2000 dress so long as it is the right style, colour and fit for YOUR BODY SHAPE :heart: .

Jewelry: LESS IS MORE. A nice pair of earings goes a long way! You do not need a matching necklace and a tiara and a veil (not that I did, but its good advice).

Reception: It will be a great time no matter what. You will kick yourself for fussing over the stupid place cards, the favors and the SEATING PLAN. Centerpieces will get played with and moved around, so don't stress.

Guest Book: A guest book would have been shoved in our cupboard to collect dust so we opted for a signature plate- so we could see everyones well wishes at the one time, on the one thing . I only wish I would have A- had a really bit platter for people to write on as they do tend to take up more than there share of space, or come back latter when there a bit tipsy and add more lol OR B- had a big blank canvas with our names and wedding date on it for people to sign. We could have hung this in our house and looked at it everyday and smiled.

First Dance: Just have fun! We did a surprise dance about 30 seconds into DJ Sammy's candle light version of Heaven and it switched to Do you Remember by Jay Sean. Absolutely the BEST DECISION we made. It totally set the atmosphere for the rest of the night and got everyone up to watch us instead of just watching from their tables.

Things will go wrong: but you will just laugh at them when you look back. :D

Beloved
Marriage is amazing
Marriage is amazing

Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:17 am

I totally agree with the above post, well said! I feel the exact same about two of these points...

1) Nobody will notice what song you walk down the aisle to, so pick whatever you want. The good thing is though, whenever I hear the song I walked down to, it brings all the memories back for me.

2) My dress was from eBay and cost $200. Everyone said how amazing it looked and thought it was a very expensive dress. The main reason I chose it was because I knew it would suit my body shape. You can wear whatever, and you WILL look amazing.

A nice dress + make up + hair + the glow of a bride = you lookin' gorgeous.

So many girls I meet spend so much on their dress and wonder what to do with it afterwards!

Also, don't stress if you can't remember heaps of the day, I honestly can't, it was such a massive blur. The photos help, so upload all your family and friends asap!

nursekristel
♥ beach bride ♥
♥ beach bride ♥

Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:31 pm

No one can ever prepare you for the amount of smiling that you do, or the amount of kissing for that matter!!

Make sure that you get a pro photo with everyone that you want a photo with..
My sister ran back to the hotel room to get something and I almost missed out on a photo with her on the beach..

Im very glad that I spent a small amount on my wedding dress.. As someone said on here previously, Beloved!, if you get a dress that is good for your bodytype it wont matter if its $100 or $10,000 it will look great! I paid $300 for mine, plus alterations and am very happy that I did this.. The day goes so fast and you only wear your wedding dress once anyway!!

I LOVE our guest book! We got the one from kikki-k with all the questions and we have read through it and its great!! Everyones advice in it is fabulous and lots of funny quotes/comments from the night.. Im very glad that we got this particular one.. I made sure someone was in charge of it and had it circulating the entire night..

Dont feel pressured to do anything you dont want to.. We didnt do the garter thing, or throwing the bouquet or have a first dance and it was great! Just as we wanted and everyone said they liked how we put our own spin on everything..

:heart:

chooky
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:27 pm

mllelozza wrote:
Ok here's mine that I can think of right now:

If you think your veil needs to be pressed have it properly done a few days before the wedding. I thought hanging mine in a hot steamy bathroom 2 days before the wedding would work ... it doesnt! Nor does ironing the veil (with a pillowcase over the top of course). Mind you, no one noticed it was wrinkly and if they did, they didnt say anything.

If your veil is going at the base of your head/top of neck make sure it has 2 loops on each side of the comb. Its for the hair girl to clip it in with bobby pins. Mine didnt have these loops so she pinned it in as best as possible but it kept coming loose so I didnt wear it all night. I didnt even know it would need these loops.

Have thongs/flats to change into for the reception for you and the BMs. My BMs wore their thongs the whole reception as their heels ended up hurting so badly.

Only have a few essential people around you in the morning. Too many people will drive you bonkers. Thankfully I had already decided this so only had my mum, BMs, MUA and hair stylist there to start with then MIL and FG came later on. Best decision I made I think!

Make sure you have tissues close by at any time. I was sitting in the bridal car waiting to hop out and noticed my FG had snot hanging out her nose. For some unknown reason I just used my finger and wiped it off, then had that horrible thought of "oh god what do I do with it now??" Thankfully MOH handed me a tissue from her bag before I dry reached!

Your dress WILL get dirty! I was careful with mine but then somehow it just got filthy so I gave up in the end!

Kids will be kids! FG had her hair beautifully done and messed it up before we even left home. And she hardly threw any rose petals down the carpet.

Not everyone will sign your guest book so dont spend big money on it! Mine was $75 and it has like 15 messages in it :-(

Dont stress over your centrepieces ... guests will fiddle with them and totally change the look of them! One table surrounded the mirror with 2 and half rows of beer bottles. I wasnt fussed .. they had fun!

Have a heap of fun with your bridal waltz ... we did the Chicken Dance and our guests loved it!

And most of all .... RELAX AND ENJOY!!! Its the best day ever! :mrgreen:

I did the chicken dance for my bridal waltz.....brooke the chook....

jetsetterjess
Jess the Best
Jess the Best

Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:34 pm

some of these have probably been mentioned but here are mine...

- make sure you drink water and eat on the day and even in the days before! on the day i had a sandwich in the morning and a couple of glasses of moscato, we had leftover chinese for lunch which i ate about half a serve, then in the wedding car i was parched! luckily my BM had some gum so i chewed on that just before we got to the ceremony venue. wish i had brought a bottle of water with me!
- if you have an emergency kit make sure you bring it with you :roll: i really missed not having mints and thankfully my MOH had needle and thread on her as she had to put a couple of stitches into my dress where the seam came undone a tiny bit. apart from water, mints and needle/thread i didn't need anything else out of the kit
- make sure you tell more people how you need the ceremony set up (if having it outdoors). my sister went there about 40 mins early and her friend was meant to give her a hand but didn't show til later. there were only 20 chairs and pre-cut tulle lengths to tie around them as sashes but not all sashes made it on. there was also an esky with champers, softdrink for guests to have some refreshments but no one but my sister and FH knew so it just sat there and no -one got any drinks out.
- give the baskets with the bubbles and dried rose petals etc to the people who will be handing them out the night before. there were a few kids who wanted to do it but that stuff didn't make it out of the car as my sister was still setting up chairs. if they had been brought with them there wouldn't have been an issue.
- make sure everyone is heading to the ceremony before you! my other sister decided she didn't want to be picked up in the morning and brought to mum and dad's place to get ready, she would get herself and my neice ready at home. so then at 4pm mum leaves to go get them, gets lost on the way to the ceremony and we the bridal party sat in the car for 10 mins until mum drove past. this is the only reason i was there at 4:45 instead of 4:30!
- if you invite kids to the reception be prepared for them and their parents to leave fairly early in the night. we had a number of our guests leave after main course and before the bouquet/garter throwing or dancing really got underway.

kyiee81
Smiley Kylie
Smiley Kylie

Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:57 pm

great tips jetsetterjess! love this thread :heart: :heart:

TropicalBride

Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:58 am

Great thread! Thanks to al the married ladies (and men) for your sharing your experience with us future brides...

JDGrumbles
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:16 pm

Seriously don't sweat the small stuff...

- Walking down the aisle song - i seriously didn't even hear it and i loved the song....i was so focused on getting down the aisle and not having a nervous breakdown..
- signing songs - didn't hear those either....too focused on not stuffing up my signing

MAKE SURE you do a list of family pics and whose in them.....it made this process so much quicker and easier and left more time for photos of us and our girls.

Sleep in if possible ---- i woke at 5.30am cos i couldn't sleep then was stuffed by the reception (had to have a coffee to spark up)

Just enjoy your night and relax....what will happen will happen...you can't control everything...and make sure of ur venue and there services and professionalism. We had ours at Versace and the service was phenomenal. Our ceremony was fantastic (Hyatt) - i didn't have to ask either venue to do anything....all i had to do was turn up an enjoy myself....was such a relief

*Riss*
Happiness Forever
Happiness Forever

Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:21 pm

Absolutely nothing! I thought I would be posting in here for sure. The only peice of advice is DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THE SMALL THINGS. They are not important and you wont even notice them on the day, so no stress about the weather, the toilet or anything else. Just relax and enjoy your day!

Sorry I have nothing else to post, everything went perfectly for our day and I wouldn't change anything!

:D :heart:

grumblebee
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:42 pm

This is going to sound a bit weird, but my advice is prepare for the worst. My wedding was a nightmare and I'm still coming to terms with it. I think I've made it worse for myself as we had a long engagement and for 3 years I was building it up to be the most perfect, magical day ever. I'm not saying that you shouldn't get excited and hope for the best day of your life (I sincerely hope it is, for you all) but just understand that despite all the planning, money spent and bridal micro managing things can and do go wrong sometime. If I had kept a small amount of perspective, that ultimately, the only thing that was truly important was that I married the love of my life I might not be still struggling to get over it almost two months later.

turbo311
♥ The New Mrs D ♥

Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:28 am

Im sorry to hear your struggling Grumblebee!

I had loads of things go wrong for me on my day..and the biggest was that I never found a wedding dress I loved so I have the biggest dress regret ever!

But on the day my mantra was "it is what it is..this is my wedding day.." I would just chant that in my head every time something would happen...(and alot happended!) Everyone who was around kept saying I was the most relaxed bride ever!

To give you an idea of my disasters:
I lost my underwear
My stockings showed through my dress
the children in my party were feral (the FG refused to let anyone brush her hair and refused the carry her pommander ball - she nearly destroyed it before the ceremony)
the photographers destroyed my bridal suite (i had stuff layed out to be ready when I needed them - they just threw everything in a heap)
the photographers were pusy and destroyed the button holes
The wedding planner lost the MCs run sheet
the list goes on...

But despite all that crap it was still my wedding day and the best day of my life! Learn the mantra Brides to be!!

leana
♥ S & L - A & F ♥
♥ S & L - A & F ♥

Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:30 am

Now that I'm married I can add my advice...
I agree with the sleep in thing, we started our morning at 7.30am (due to being so far away and having to travel for 1hr to get to our destination) or make sure you have some energy drinks on stand by. I had a small red bull during the day (I normally live on the stuff) and was still tired by 9pm!

Don't let anyone rush you or your bridal party! 2 of my BM rushed our FG's and they didn't want to walk down the aisle (they are 5 and a little shy when being pushed to do something) just because the entrance song had started the BM's wanted to get them down the aisle quickly but if I had the chance to talk to them then they would have been happy to walk!

Make sure your comfortable with your photographer, my boss' son was our photographer and isn't a pro or anything but we were so relaxed and trusted his eye for photography. I was slightly worried about how well he would do with our photos, but he did a fantastic job and I'm so glad I trusted him!

Make sure you have a few copies of the MC running sheet and rough draft of events. I forgot to bring any of mine, and people kept asking me what we were doing and I kept forgetting! Thankfully our MC's were fantastic and kept checking timing with me on the night and kept telling me what we were doing!

The morning of your wedding is very emotional, I don't normally cry but for most of the morning I just wanted to ball my eyes out! (in a good way) Make sure you only have people around you that are going to help you and not make it a stressful morning.
Side note, make sure you choose your bridal party wisely! Think about how people get along with the other people you are considering to avoid any cat fights! (I had heaps of these!)

Most importantly, enjoy your day! You have spent so much time planning your wedding and if anything is going to go wrong on the day then it was obviously meant to go wrong! You can't control everything and no amount of planning can always make sure there will be a 100% problem free day! So enjoy your day for what it's for and even for the things that go wrong!

Ayla01
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:13 pm

I'm not married yet, but from my experience as a MOH i can add a little something which will definately be incorporated into mine.

The night before the wedding, we made sandwiches and a fruit platter, stuck them in the fridge and then just pulled them out in the morning. we had it all set up in the kitchen which made it easy for people to eat something when they could without fuss. With everyone having hair/makeup done at different times there was no chance to sit down and eat together but this made it soooo much easier to ensure everyone had something to eat as well as making sure the various kids weren't going hungry.

stefania
Baby Mama ♥
Baby Mama ♥

Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:02 pm

Love this thread :heart: :heart:

future_mrs_smith
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:23 pm

jetsetterjess wrote:
- if you invite kids to the reception be prepared for them and their parents to leave fairly early in the night. we had a number of our guests leave after main course and before the bouquet/garter throwing or dancing really got underway.

This doesn't always apply to weddings with kids. I've been to quite a few that a lot of guests left before 9pm and it was a kids free wedding! One of the weddings they did all the formalities at the start (in less than 20mins too, all the speeches were capped at 2mins) so the night did drag a little, but the others I can't honestly understand why everyone left early!I'd never leave a wedding before the bride and groom... And I've been to weddings with kids and some of the parents and kids have been there until 11pm! (Some of my gorgeous cousins were bragging about how Mum and Dad were going to let them stay up late).

nomesy
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:26 pm

Doesn't matter how many people are at your wedding that are married and have camera's.
If you want particular photos or video's taken after the photographer had left, then ask your guests to do so...

This is one thing i never knew, or thought about.... Our photographer left about 7:30pm.... So clearly way before our dance- which was fine.... I just assumed that our guests would take photos and video's of our first dance.... No one really did(have to check out photos from 2 friends first) but other then that, no one took any photos :( i really want to see photos of our dance- our twirls, sexy move, dip etc.... its a shame! my brothers gf took a video... how ever she ended it after our first move just before we went to our 2nd move :( If only i knew we would of announced it!...

Just something to keep in mind.

lill_kitten
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:20 pm

That you might feel a little sad and lost suddenly not having to plan anything and realiesing that all tthat time spent planning was over in only one day.

But at least you ended up married which was the point

Oh and you may have to work hard not to think of the little things that went wrong, Like my celebrant told DH that only his best man was meant to stand up the front. So so so mad about that, thats 3 suits/button holes/ties put to waste. I just try not to think of it too much.

Oh and be very specific about what photos you want to get

nomesy
I need a title
I need a title

Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:04 pm

lill_kitten wrote:
That you might feel a little sad and lost suddenly not having to plan anything and realiesing that all tthat time spent planning was over in only one day.

But at least you ended up married which was the point

Oh and you may have to work hard not to think of the little things that went wrong, Like my celebrant told DH that only his best man was meant to stand up the front. So so so mad about that, thats 3 suits/button holes/ties put to waste. I just try not to think of it too much.

Oh and be very specific about what photos you want to get

LOL i so totally agree, i have so much spare time now that im not planning a wedding.... DH said the other day, why dont you become a wedding planner in ur spare time HAHAHA i hope he was joking!

what do you mean about only the best man had to stand up the front???? its normally the whole bridal party!

lill_kitten
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:12 pm

I know, i have never seen a situation where the whole bridal party isnt up there. I dont really know what the celebrant was thinking. Was a little miffed
GZIP: On | Load: 0.05