A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

nomesy
I need a title
I need a title

Re: I wish someone told me..............before my wedding day.

Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:16 am

Yeah i totally agree... I wouldn't worry about what the celebrant said!!!! at the end of the day, as long as u and ur DH were happy thats all that matters!!! :)

bronzestar
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:19 pm

When I got engaged I was given this gem by a newly married friend:

:arrow: Don't even think about organising the wedding while you are PMS-ing.

Which I thought made complete sense and I have heeded her advice, cos I can fly off the handle at the smallest silly things :oops:

stefania
Baby Mama ♥
Baby Mama ♥

Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:51 pm

bronzestar wrote:
When I got engaged I was given this gem by a newly married friend:

:arrow: Don't even think about organising the wedding while you are PMS-ing.

Which I thought made complete sense and I have heeded her advice, cos I can fly off the handle at the smallest silly things :oops:

Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

carly87
The Button Lady
The Button Lady

Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:28 pm

One thing I wish I would have done, was asked the celebrant to do a mock run through before the day.
Ours was shocking. when I met dh at the end of the aisle, he was standing back, inline with the celebrant. I motioned for him to join me out front, but the celebrant told me to stand on her other side. we looked silly facing the crowd like that. she made us stand like that for most of the ceremony. and all I wanted to do was hold dh's hands to keep me steady :lol:
she also muddled up my vows, which led to me talking over the top of her just to get them right :roll:

lovinglyloved
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:54 am

Something WILL go wrong!!
but as my brother put it, the best organisers can cover it and noone knows a thing.
which is what happened,
luckily i didn't either,
my BMs and in laws took control of the running of the day,
we had heaps of drama that i didn't hear of till later..

soni@
♥ Mrs Went ♥
♥ Mrs Went ♥

Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:31 pm

Posting so I can keep a track of these great tips :D

carly_buttons
Done and dusted
Done and dusted

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:06 pm

that I would still want to try on wedding dresses, 8 months after I already got married :(

Lozzie
♥ Hopeless Romantic ♥
♥ Hopeless Romantic ♥

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:28 pm

Last edited by Lozzie on Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

chellebelle
♥ baby on board! ♥
♥ baby on board! ♥

Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:09 pm

To have the balls to tell extended family not to come by my hotel room on the morning of the wedding. I wanted as quiet a morning as possibly with my BMs, Mum, sisters and nieces (not to mention hair and make up ladies) but instead my cousin came by with her teenage son and stayed the entire morning. She even had my BMs curling her hair for her!

To have a list of all the guests phone numbers so I didn't have a last minute panic when we ended up changing the venue due to the rain. I would have loved to delegate that job as it caused me no end of stress, but it was too hard trying to coordinate phones and different guest names with my BMs, who didn't know everybody. Thank god my MUA shooed them away from me towards the end.

I know it's been repeated numerous times, but give the photographer a list of photos you want! I'd written the list up, had it memorised backwards and forwards in my head, but then forgot to give them the list. As a result I didn't get a photo with just me and my sisters :(

Junia
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:17 pm

Great thread! I've spent the past few hours reading through it - and am now posting in it to keep track of your wonderful tips. :heart:

Rochelle81
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:37 pm

I love this thread. Thanks ladies.

danielkcheung

Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:22 pm

I wrote the following article for future brides/grooms to help them in their search for a suitable wedding photographer: http://www.danielkcheung.com/blog/fyi-part-1

I hope it helps!

Majeen
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:51 pm

Wow ladies thanks for the tips!

jstar123

Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:08 pm

a few things I found out on the day

-avoid having another wedding on same day if possible. we were asked to leave our afternoon tea 'in the next 10 minutes so the next party can set up' at 2pm. we had the room booked from 1-3pm, the other wedding didn't even start untill 3.30 and was 1.5hours long. needless to say i was fuming.

-DO NOT GET YOUR HAIR WASHED AND BLOW DRIED THE DAY BEFORE IF YOU WANT CURLS. my hairdresser had me and my bridesmaid get our hair washed the day before the wedding so that it would be clean for the next day. unfortunatly she also blow dried them. my curls were gone by the end of ceremony. fortunatly because it had been blowdried, it looked ok straight. but since i'd had my heart set on beautiful soft curls i was pretty upset.

-picnic during photo shoot after ceremony was a god send. thanks mum for packing a picnic and sticking it in the car for us!! i was too nervous to eat properly before the ceremony and after it was i was starving! then by the reception the nerves kicked in again (speechs, dance, etc) and i didn't eat hardly anything at the reception. but during the photo shoot we were all relaxing and having fun so i was calm and ate.

-pay money for a good photographer. we went with a package just under $3000 (for 8 hours plus all photos on cds and a few other extras) and he was worth every penny. he kept us relaxing, having fun, got amazing photos that I will cherish forever. Despite the torrential rain he managed to get the most amazing, stunning photos, and he made sure that we were enjoying the moment. I am so glad we choose him!!

-get it videoed. Even if it's just a friend from work with a video camera!! the day really was a blur and it was so nice to sit down with my husband when we got back from the honeymoon and watch the video (and giggle at all the funny moments). in some ways i do wish i'd paid for a videographer, but then again we only wanted the ceremony videoed and $1000 seemed a bit steep. in the end we asked a few friends which was nice as each got a different angle and had their own comments (which were seriously hilarous!!)

-don't waste money on invites and programs. they get thrown away. we went with simple vistaprint invites (58c each in the end) and everyone said they were so cute. our programs were also under $1 each from kwik kopy. just remember-simple understanded elegance can look incredible and not too expensive

-bonbonierre are a waste of money. we had hersheys kisses scattered on the tables in our colors (silver and purple) and everyone loved them and ate them all. cost practically nothing and people still go on about how cute it was that i got them from USA (thanks to visiting friends!)

-figure out how you are getting the groomsmen their button holes before 8am the morning of the wedding!! (my poor dad had to drive to the church and drop them off them rush home to get mum!!) we seriously didn't even think about it and all the flowers came to where I was getting ready. duh!

--the night before the wedding-plan to do NOTHING but make sure you have something to do. i had my best friend over and we watched dvds and just chilled. it kept me calm and was lots of fun.

-every so often, before the wedding (like in the months and weeks before) at night time i used to sit down and imagine how the wedding day would run. i would picture every detail and imagine in my head everything going smoothly, me saying the right thing. this helped for two reasons: firstly, it meant nothing was overlooked because in my head i would have realised. secondly, it was a bit of positive reinforcement, and helping me to keep calm.

-at some point, sneak outside the reception venue with your new husband and give him a big kiss and tell him how much you love him and how proud you are of him!!

-i wrote my husband a love letter telling him why i wanted to marry him and gave it to his best man to deliver to him the morning of the wedding. he said it was one of the nicest things and it helped keep him calm.

-if it rains, it's not the end of the world. it rained 200mm and was in the newspapers as being the wettest weekend in 65 years. we still had an amazing day because i didn't let it get to me. i figured there was nothing i could do so i may as well enjoy myself. and hey it makes for an interesting story about all the flooding and raining!!

-finally....remember "your not being a diva for a day...your being a princess. don't think brittney: think beyonce"

soni@
♥ Mrs Went ♥
♥ Mrs Went ♥

Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:10 am

I was truly blessed that my day went perfectly..despite small little hiccups along the way that no one really noticed anyway...however..a couple of things I did learn..

1. try to look after yourself in the 2 week lead up...I ended up running around purely on adrenalin and didnt eat/sleep properly at all!! luckily it didnt show on the day how exhausted I was, but was definitely not wise to let go of all my normal eating/sleeping routines

2. The BIGGEST thing I learned was to start to have a little more faith in myself....the whole 7 months of wedding planning, was at best hell for me...
we had a mixed cultural wedding, and so it was extra hard for me because my job became the go-between for the 2 families to ensure there was just the right balance of things happening on the day (i.e. music, dancing, rituals etc), but what made it worse was the fact that I was surrounded by family who were unsupportive, negative and very judgemental of EVERY decision I made..so naturally I started to question my every decision and agonised and lost sleep over every little detail thinking that the whole day was going to be awkward or not make any sense (as people liked to keep pointing out) etc..but, on the day I managed to pull myself together and told myself 'everything is going to be ok, plus there's not much you can do to change things now'

And you know what...eveyone LOVED the day...especially guess who! my family..they could not have raved more about how perfectly everything came together..and I'm not one to boast to people about myself, but I think i did a pretty good damn job of organising a great wedding because I was told by one person that my wedding was her 'dream wedding' and a few other friends who said it was the BEST wedding they had been to!I can sit back now and say 'I DID ALL THAT!
So try not second guess yourself too much, and if you do, just stop and thing to yourself 'why did I make this decision in the first place?!' and chances are you made the right decision because you knew it was going to work! :wink:

missmalt
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:31 pm

need to compile a list of these

andie85
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:48 pm

Just marking it so I can find it later. I need to start making a list. :)

apk
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed May 11, 2011 3:55 am

in the weeks leading up to my wedding, I was incapable of making decision on the tiniest things. Thankfully I have a wonderful MIL and bridal party to help.

Things I learnt is to take it all slowly on the day. Everyone told me that it will go like a blur, it felt that way. All those planning to the tiniest detail, it was over in the matters of seconds, so no used stressing about it.

My advice is if you can afford it, get a hair and makeup person to come to you in the morning, get a florist to do your flowers and a cake maker to do your cake ( you don't need the added stress that comes with that). Delegate tasks. The bridal party are there to help. I tried to do too many things on my own without "troubleing" my bridal party. MIL had to keep reminding me that there are there to help out.

Bonni_Binx
Mrs Ranga
Mrs Ranga

Thu May 12, 2011 12:41 am

Wow I can't believe I can finally post here.. I always used to read the advice from other brides and I do believe that it helped.
However... these are my two cents :D

1. No matter how much rest to try to get (good advice from Soni@) you will still be absolutley SHATTERED after the day. It took both of us 4 days to recover! So plan those days after with minimal activites, or have ones where you do nothing :D

2. All those little things that you think no one will notice ARE totally worth it! I loved the little things that made our day personal.. not everyone noticed but my DH did and so did my MIL and my MOH (and of course me!)

3. Some things the guys just don't get (this relates to the above). But do them anyway - I totally stayed up till really late at night buying these little things on Etsy and Ebay etc and didn't tell DH about half of them.. he would have a dig at me because guys just don't get these things. However he came up to me on the night, gave me a kiss and said "I'm sorry for hassling you about buying all these little things, they really made a difference and you were right" - So you have my permissiong to shop away ladies !!

4. The list of vendors that you print out, make sure you give a list to your FH... then actually remind him about it and make sure he understands what it is for! I gave a list to my DH just in case, we had a minor issue with our venue the morning of the wedding and DH needed the numbers of the florist and the caterer... he rang my BM (too scared to ring me!) however it was something only I could solve "Darling do you remember that list that I gave you a couple of nights ago with all the names and numbers of the vendors? Well you better find it as that's what I gave it to you for!" - where was it.. in the study where I left it! GRRR MEN!?

5. Be prepared to have at least one Bridezilla moment (I had 2) on the last couple of weeks before the big day. People will forgive you so don't stress too much about these moments :P

6. Use your wedding as an excuse to get out of anything you don't want to do or attend in those last few weeks - works a charm and no one argues (I used the wedding excuse to avoid a Thermomix (?) party, netball game and work function :wink: )

7. Some one with blow you away with their behaviour. In my case it was two people - my kids. They were perfect!! I was so worried (about my 3yr old son inparticular) that I had warned the photographer, celebrant and my family that he wouldn't play along but he did everything he was supposed to do and more. He walked down the aisle holding my hand then took his sisters hand at the top of the carpet and they both walked perfectly to the end and stood next to the bridesmaids. My daughter was really good all morning as well - although she did talk all our ears off :lol:

Well I think thats me done...

Hawaiian Wedding
Married in Maui
Married in Maui

Thu May 12, 2011 12:48 am

I'm finding this so helpful! Just posting so I can find it again later :D
GZIP: On | Load: 0.03