A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

MsBreeze

Re: I wish someone told me..............before my wedding day.

Tue May 17, 2011 5:41 pm

From my sister's wedding, I learned:

- Don't assume your BMs know what's expected of them (dress fixing, hair, dancing with GMs, handing out favours - whatever). Have a chat and ask them to do what you have in mind on the day, then give them a timeline and get someone to check they haven't forgotten.
-Designate a reliable friend not in the wedding party to be your "fixer" on the day and give them a spare key to your house - someone who won't mind, eg, driving to your house to pick up something you've forgotten and dropping it to the hotel. People love to help you, and you don't probably want one of your BMs missing the photos because you forgot your grandmother's brooch for your bouquet or something.
- If you and new hubby are spending the night in the hotel room/apartment where you spent the night before with the BMs, make sure someone tidies it up and that the BMs take their stuff and leave it at reception before you leave for the ceremony, and that they, not you, are picking their bags up the next morning. It took my sis and BIL an hour to load all the wedding prep stuff into the car the morning after - not fun with a hangover!
- When you advise your venue of numbers, tell them approx 5 less people than you have gotten RSVPs for, then (make sure you remember!) update them the day before. They will always be able to find five more portions of beef, but if you tell them 120 people and get 5 last-minute pull outs from guests (like someone gets sick and can't come, someone's relative is in hospital etc) you will still have to pay for 120 people.
-DIYing your invitations can easily be more expensive than getting them made.
-Don't buy things too early. Your ideas change and they get wasted. I'm now looking for shoes #2, for instance, as I've found my original ones don't make me tall enough to dance with my very tall fiance!
-Keep samples of your dress fabric, invitation paper, colour swatches, flower pics etc in a ziplock bag in your handbag in the months leading up to the wedding. When a huge bargain for coloured tablecloths or something appears in a random mall on your interstate holiday, you don't want to be wondering if they actually match or not.
- If you have an iPhone, get a good wedding planner app for your phone. I use iWedding for guestlist, RSVPs, notes, photos, to-do list, and Wedding Caddy Budget for the budget EVERY SINGLE DAY and because my phone is always with me I never forget to put things in. There are lots of different apps, but I've tried a few and like those ones best. There's even an app for doing up the timeline for the day. I don't know how I would manage wedding planning without my iPhone!

Now I'm just waiting to make all of my own mistakes when we get married in October!

MsBreeze

Tue May 17, 2011 5:43 pm

Oh - and if you're planning to take a sleeping tablet the night before, test it out a week or so before so you know they don't make you feel lethargic or grumpy.

trixee
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon May 30, 2011 11:41 pm

Thanks so much girls! Posting so I can keep a track of these great tips!

marbonky
Fusion Bride
Fusion Bride

Tue May 31, 2011 10:37 pm

trixee wrote:
Thanks so much girls! Posting so I can keep a track of these great tips!

Me too! These are great tips!!

Dandelion
Queen Of My Castle
Queen Of My Castle

Tue May 31, 2011 10:43 pm

That I wouldn't need a contingency plan for rain, but rather for bush fires!

And that even when the fireman kindly explains that they may need to evacuate you and all your guests from your venue, you won't even really care, because it's after your ceremony and you couldn't care less what happens now, as long as it's hand-in-hand with your gorgeous new hubby :heart:

KCupcake21
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:55 am

These are really great hints & there are some things i would never have thought about!

cloudie
Mrs Awesome!
Mrs Awesome!

Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:05 pm

I will have a more up to date list later on, but for now, 2 things I wish someone had told me:

1. It is NEVER too early to do stuff. I was up late the night before finishing off stuff that I had dismissed as too early to do. On the day, we were tying labels on bubbles. I could have had that done WEEKS in advance. It's better to have it done and sitting there ready to go then it is to stress about doing it.

2. Someone WILL be unhappy with your planning and will do something to p*ss you off. One of my friends wasn't happy with where she was sitting, so she took it upon herself to swap her seat. While it wasn't a big deal to me, I was insulted on behalf of the people she moved. When I said something to her the next day, she told me I was selfish and didn't think of her feelings, Needless to say, we are no longer friends!!

DestinyDriven

Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:13 am

I've spent the last week reading all 44 pages of this thread... What am I going to do now!

Some great tips and certainly many to keep in mind! :)

Mrs JJ 2 Be
J + R = ♥
J + R = ♥

Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:37 pm

Wear sunscreen the week before your wedding :lol:

heartstringz
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:16 pm

I wish someone had told me to pick bridesmaids who have actually been involved in a wedding before. If I could do over again, that's what I would do.

Instead, I get to walk down the isle in four weeks time resenting my bridesmaids for doing nothing whatsoever (including not organising my hens).

Donna11

Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:51 pm

I second that - don't assume your Bridesmaids or Groomsmen know what they are supposed to do. They probably don't and they don't care to find out - although I would if I was ever asked to be Bridesmaid!
Make sure you spell out what they have to do or pay for - and do it early - preferably when you ask them in the first place.

I also second Cloudie's comment - it is never too early to do stuff, particularly non-perishable stuff. Just find a room to store it all already set up (I took over our spare bedroom)

Also, add another 25% to your budget - wedding stuff is frickin expensive and not negotiable!

jasmine&paul
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:36 am

im two months out still but have two pieces of advice!!

- book your wedding night accommodation asap!! i thought i could leave it to last minute as its a large hotel & its never fully booked! wrong the whole area is booked out for a major conference!

- dont try new skin routines with only 2 months to go! i bought an organic sukin facial mask & ive never had a problem with other masks from the chemist. this one has given me mild acne! hoping its gone by the day!

MissA
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:23 pm

I'm not married yet...but getting married in November. But I have a couple of things that I would like to share.

* Double up - If your anything like me I'm super organised. But when I'm excited/stressed I become I real scatter brain. Like most people. So give copies of your list of photos, suppliers list, MC list etc to various people - your BM's, grooms man parents etc. So when I have a forgetful moment and ask where the hell is such and such, chances are good thatsome will know.
* Have a fixer upper. Have someone not in the bridal party to fix up the little things. Make sure the ceremony/reception is set up properly etc.
* Try and get plenty of sleep.
* A couple of months before start eating healthy and taking care of your body. Seriously eating the right foods and getting your 8 hours sleep every night does a world of good and you'll look great on the day!
* Don't stress if you don't DTD on the night. While it would nice, FH and I have said that if it doesn't happen it doesn't happen, and we'll both probably be too exhausted anyway!!
* Walk around in your shoes you plan on wearing for at least a couple of hours. You'll soon find out if they are going to be giving pain or blisters on the day.There is nothing worse than having extremely sore feet!
* Take a pair of flats to the reception
* Make sure you EAT something before the wedding. Your body will thank you for it.

Thats all I can think of for now.

Amanda4Kyle
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:40 pm

Awesome thread ladies have taken 5pages of notes already! :heart: it

Jess_qld

Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:56 pm

DestinyDriven wrote:
I've spent the last week reading all 44 pages of this thread... What am I going to do now!

I`m going to spend 2 weeks :D
How can I remember all of this?...

bridek8
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:34 pm

Jess_qld wrote:
DestinyDriven wrote:

I`m going to spend 2 weeks :D
How can I remember all of this?...

Ditto to this!!!
Bookmarked!

KCupcake21
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:23 am

Not married yet (17 days to go!), but something I've found really helpful:

- It's never to early to start planning things, especially when you are doing DIY!

It's saved my butt now that is for sure - my main planning assistant - being my mum, has been called away to look after her parents (my grandmother has been hospitalised with pneumonia & my grandfathers alzheimers has advanced) so I've lost my planning assistant & helper.

Thankfully we'd had everything planned out months ago, so my lovely FH & my FPIL have just stepped up & know exactly what needs to be done & when it needs to be done - no organising or last minute decisons needed!

heartstringz
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:24 am

I know it's only really minor, but it frustrated me on the day:

Make sure you have a spare pair of things like stockings, cause if you are anything like me you will be so nervous that you put a run in them when you are getting ready and then cant find a spare pair or any clear nail polish.

KCupcake21
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:42 am

A couple of things:

1 - if you wish to take your veil out ensure that it is really well secured - mine happened to blow off in the gails that started not long before we were to hop into the limo!

2 - you really can't eat much in a coirsett, so make sure there is food waiting for you in the room at yoour first night accomodation.

3 - make sure your parents know EXACTLY what is happening on the night. We wanted our night to end with our last dance &then we would farewell everyone at the door. My FIL then made us do a farewell circle with everyone singing ald lang sign (which i can't stand) they told us we forgot it - we then explained the next day that it wasn't forgotten, it wasn't done on purpose - we wanted everyone out of the room!

nickncarolyn1
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:10 pm

bumping :)
GZIP: On | Load: 0.08