A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

spankyb
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

My DIY flowers - how they turned out

Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:00 am

Just posted this in the DIY Bouquet thread, but thought it might be of some inspiration/help to the rest of you!

I used this tutorial for the basis of my bouquet: http://www.bridesofaustralia.com/Diy_Bridal_Bouquet.html

My flowers turned out great on the day - I was so pleased! They lasted all day too and didn't wilt at all. Everyone was stunned when I told them I'd done them myself that morning!

Basically I bought small cube candle holders from Cheap as Chips for $2 each. I had 5 of these per table, in this order: candle/flower/candle/flower/candle
I soaked florist oasis with water and cut to fit the cube vases. We put three roses per vase, at different heights, then filled in the spaces with ivy (free from our garden!). I did this with my sister-in-law the night before the wedding, and just kept the flowers cool in our cellar. They looked fab!

I made 7 boutonnieres, 3 flowergirl baskets, 18 floral centrepieces and my bouquet and I think all in I spent about $400 for everything (the roses, oasis, vases, ribbon, florist tape, and corsage pins). I bought the floral supplies and flowers from Floriculture and had them delivered two days before the wedding. They were really helpful. I kept the flowers in our cellar, which wasn't supercool (prob about 18-20 C). It was great fun and I was so happy with how it all turned out.

Here's some pics:

Bouquet:
bouquet.jpg

Flowergirl baskets (small baskets, wound ribbon around the handle, filled with soaked Oasis and put in three roses and ivy to cover the bald patches):
flowergirl-baskets.jpg

flowergirl-2.jpg

Will add the boutonniere in a sep. post
Last edited by spankyb on Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

spankyb
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Re: My DIY flowers - how they turned out

Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:03 am

Bouttonieres (I used one ivy leaf and one rose, then bound them together with florist tape):
boutonniere.jpg

I can't seem to find a decent pic of the centrepieces I made but this will have to do. Just squint a bit!
centrepieces.jpg

Flowers were purchased online from http://wholesale.floriculture.com.au

If you've got any questions, don't be afraid to ask - I'm happy to help!

Darens Girl

Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:27 am

Last edited by Darens Girl on Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

greensmonster
I need a title
I need a title

Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:07 pm

your bouquet is gorgeous! you must be so pleased. Well done, and thanks for sharing.

jetsetterjess
Jess the Best
Jess the Best

Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:15 pm

awesome work, seriously considering DIY flowers too!

did you wire the flowerheads at all? i'm not sure whether to do this as I'm looking at Lisianthus and roses so will have to do a practice run

spankyb
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:33 pm

No, I didn't wire the flowerheads - this wasn't mentioned in the tutorial that I used, and I think it's because they are packed so closely together that they give each other support. I did lose one on the way in the car when I bumped them, but it wasn't noticeable - thankfully!

My flowers were also really fresh - they were picked on the Tuesday and sent on the Wednesday to arrive on the Thursday. They were closed on arrival, but opened up in my cellar and were perfect by Saturday morning.

jetsetterjess
Jess the Best
Jess the Best

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:27 am

thanks for the info, will definitely do the practice to make sure i know how long roughly the blooms will take to open etc

MrsEather
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:35 pm

Thank you so much for posting this, I am doing my own flowers and it is great to see such a beautifull success !

carly87
The Button Lady
The Button Lady

Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:17 pm

your flowers are gorgeous! I just checked out floriculture, and couldn't believe the prices...that's cheaper than you would get at the florist...and cheaper too than decent artificial flowers. just wondering, how much stress did it add on you with having to go for hair and makeup etc.
could the bouquets and such be made the day before? also, I don't have a cellar or anything, would the fridge be too cold? sorry if that's a stupid question... :oops:

spankyb
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:43 am

I didn't find it stressful at all, to tell the truth, but my wedding was at 3pm so I had plenty of time on the day. The bouquet, flower baskets, and button holes didn't take more than half an hour/40 minutes in total so I just factored in an hour to my day. I did all the centrepieces the night before and they still looked great.

You can do the bouquet the night before, but it's better if you can do it on the day. Maybe the bridesmaids bouquets the day before (if you're having BM, of course - I didn't!). Just make sure that you keep the ends free of ribbon so you can leave them in a bit of water (you can always trim them down afterwards.

If you've got air-con in one room, you can keep your flowers in there, but just not directly in the flow of the cold air. Fridge stops the flowers from opening, so would be too cold.

carly87
The Button Lady
The Button Lady

Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:43 am

thanks for the advice! :D I can't believe how cheap that website is! Started planning to have silk flowers just to cut down on cost, but thanks to your links I can have the flowers I want. thank you!

spankyb
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:59 am

Do remember to order a few extra, just in case! I was quite lucky in that I got to use all of my flowers (well, save one) but you might find that you'd like your bouquet to be a bit bigger, in which case a couple of spare bunches would be a good idea. I wasn't actually planning on putting flowers in the flowergirl baskets nor making my mum a corsage, but had some spare.

:D

carly87
The Button Lady
The Button Lady

Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:10 am

how many roses did you use for your bouquet? I was thinking about 30 for mine and 20 for the bridesmaids...

spankyb
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:18 am

I probably used about 30 too. TBH I thought that the roses would be bigger, so if you're after more impact you might have to go for more roses, or specifically ask for a very large headed rose (only available in a few colours though). I was quite happy with my compact bouquet, thought it went really well with my dress.

carly87
The Button Lady
The Button Lady

Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:41 am

the colour you used looks wonderful. I'm thinking of using pink white purple and a champagne colour (all pastely colours) nothing too bright. don't want to take away the emphasis from the dresses. :D .

spankyb
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:49 am

Mine were Emma roses. They were lovely! The guy at Floriculture is really helpful though - I think his name might be Max.
:)

lonnie0503

Fri May 07, 2010 10:26 am

Wow pretty cool. Would you believe I paid for my sons wedding arrangement for about 800$ just for the flowers. If I was a member before 4 months ago, I save a lot. Nice post. How I wish to get some of these for my other son in the future.

jhilik
cupcake?
cupcake?

Fri May 07, 2010 11:59 am

wow wow wow! Well done!! They look so professional! :e_clap:

spankyb
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Fri May 07, 2010 6:07 pm

Thanks - I was so happy with them on the day!
:)

CLB77

Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:59 pm

I'm considering growing the flowers... I have 13 months, is that crazy?
GZIP: On | Load: 0.21