A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Porcelain
Loved Up
Loved Up
Topic Author

Name change for bank account?

Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:40 pm

I still have to change my surname with my bank, so I contacted them via online banking... and this is what I apparently have to mail them 8O

*Change of Customer Details form
*New Signature Card
*Certified copy of your Marriage Certificate and 100 points of ID
*Customer Identification - Authorised Referee form (this will also
have a listing of authorised personnel to site your
documents)
*Letter stating the reason for change of name - E.g. Please change
my surname from Sam Jones to Sam Smith as I
have taken on my husbands name through marriage - also include your
customer number and signature on this letter
*Letter requesting for new Visa Debit Card with new name (you can
put both letters in the one)
*ATM and Visa Debit Card Maintenance Form - to request a new Visa
debit card

If I went to my actual local branch, do you think I'd still need ALL of these forms, or would 100 points of ID, and my marriage cert do?? :? It's crazy.

(HSBC)

MrsMurphy
mrs smurfy
mrs smurfy

Re: Name change for bank account?

Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:49 pm

that seams like alot, iv just got to go to a branch and take my marriage cert and they will take a copy and change it over/ order new cards etc. maybe drop in to your local branch and ask

jaynage
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:50 pm

I just took a copy of my marriage certificate into the branch and they did it then and there.

Porcelain
Loved Up
Loved Up
Topic Author

Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:58 pm

Hmm OK I'll try that on Saturday morning then. I suppose I'm going to the shops anyway might as well see if they accept my certificate and ID. It's funny, I have such a mix of names at the moment. Half of my things are under my new surname and half is still under my maiden name. It gets a little confusing at times in regards to paperwork etc. :roll:

~abstar~
Formerly known as Abbie_2010
Formerly known as Abbie_2010

Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:17 pm

I know that my old flatmate had his letters returned ages ago when he tried to change his address because his signature was different from what they had on file so you may need to sign something to say that you have changed your signature aswell!

ellejay
♥ totally married ♥
♥ totally married ♥

Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:29 pm

I just took my marriage certificate in and showed ID and they changed it over for me. A week or so later my new cards arrived. I'm with Commonwealth for what it's worth.

D'sGirl
Bite Me!
Bite Me!

Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:32 pm

jaynage wrote:
I just took a copy of my marriage certificate into the branch and they did it then and there.

same!

Darens Girl

Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:18 pm

Last edited by Darens Girl on Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mandamoo
Princess Moo
Princess Moo

Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:28 pm

jaynage wrote:

:tick: Thats what i did toowith my new drivers license and they changed it and I got a new card with my new surname on it..took 10 mins to do

Palm Cove Bride
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:49 pm

That cant possibly be right. Maybe you spoke to some retard on the phone who had no real idea of what was going on. Either that or you need to find a different bank.

I ended up cancelling one of my credit cards because of the stupidity and idiots on the phone that I had to deal with in order to simply change my name.

All I did with 3 banks to change my name was send a simple letter stating my old name, new name and account details and a certified copy of the certificate. I signed the letter with my new name and possibly needed to also include in old signature for 1 of them. I didnt have time to take off work to go in the branch to change it and could have only done that with 1 of the banks anyway.

Ali_jane
Mrs M
Mrs M

Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:08 pm

I just took marriage cert in to them + 100 points of ID. BUT if you have both your names on the account, DH may need to sign it too.

I'd say you just need that much cause they aren't seeing you in person & a lot of those things you'll sign when you go in.

Happyeverafter
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed May 09, 2012 1:10 pm

Wow glad I read this forum. Saved me heaps of trouble for changing my details over with this knowledge.

Tracylacy
Mrs. Bart
Mrs. Bart

Wed May 09, 2012 7:10 pm

I went into the branch and while the process took a while - lots of signing and printing off of things. They accepted just my certificate and my id.

I think they want all those things because they need to prove that the person that is trying to change your name is you - anyone could get hold of a copy of your licence and marriage certificate and send it to them and ask for them to change the name on your bank account.

Hawaiian Wedding
Married in Maui
Married in Maui

Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:50 pm

I went into the branch (Westpac) and after 5 minutes it was done. He looked a my certificate and drivers licence (which I had changed), then changed my name on the system and ordered new cards for me. I received them in less than a week!

It was alot less hassel than I thought it would be actually!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.22