A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

ldr10
♥ Mrs R. ♥
♥ Mrs R. ♥
Topic Author

Marriage Cert & Change of name...

Sat May 08, 2010 10:13 am

Sorry if this has been asked before, but i couldnt seem to find an answer...

I've applied & recieved our 'official' marriage certificate from BD&Ms - is that all i need to change me name for bills, bank, Vic roads etc?? Or do I need to apply to 'Change my name' as well by Deed Poll or something???

I'm a little confused!! :roll:

TIA
Lx

katw
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: Marriage Cert & Change of name...

Sat May 08, 2010 10:18 am

I think you just need the official certificate - no formal change of name is required if you got married in Australia.

belle11235
'maybe i'm amazed'
'maybe i'm amazed'

Sat May 08, 2010 10:28 am

Yep I don't think you need to apply for a change of name unless you are doing something other than taking your partner's last name. ie keeping your maiden name as your middle name, combining your surnames to make a new one etc.
If it's just taking on your husband's surname i think your marriage certificate is all you need.

coco2003
I need a title
I need a title

Sat May 08, 2010 11:23 am

Just official BDM certificate

MissChookz
Finally a MRS!!
Finally a MRS!!

Sat May 08, 2010 4:15 pm

Hey Laura
All you need to do is take your original certificate into Vic Roads, Medicare and your bank to have your name changed. Other places like private health funds, ammenities etc will usually just require a copy of the certificate either via fax or email to change your name.
Hope that helps :)

Palm Cove Bride
I need a title
I need a title

Mon May 10, 2010 1:11 pm

MissChookz wrote:
Hey Laura
All you need to do is take your original certificate into Vic Roads, Medicare and your bank to have your name changed. Other places like private health funds, ammenities etc will usually just require a copy of the certificate either via fax or email to change your name.
Hope that helps :)

If you have to send a copy of the certificate in the mail make sure the place doesnt need a certified copy of the certificate. Especially financial institutions and insurance places (if you cant go in store to do it) will require a certified copy not just a photocopy of the offical BDM certificate. This means you need someone to sign on the photocopy to say that in fact yes it is an exact copy of the original. There are certain types of people that can do this (eg Justice of the Peace).

ldr10
♥ Mrs R. ♥
♥ Mrs R. ♥
Topic Author

Mon May 10, 2010 5:15 pm

Thank you lovelies :D - I thought that was all I had to do, but DH was certain I'd have to change my name by deed poll! haha, another "I was right" moment!
VicRoads & one bank account changed today, passport & a million other things left on the list for another day!

nettiecakes
♥ Mrs Quack ♥
♥ Mrs Quack ♥

Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:13 pm

thanks for already making this thread :heart: saved me having to ask again :lol:

very excited to go to bdm on monday and get our cert :D

feb2011wedding
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:04 pm

Further to this...
My workmate told me that I would need to get the offical marriage certificate from BDM and then also change my name officially with BDM in order to get my Passport changed to my married name. I'm confused now.. she seems to think that unless you change it officially with BDM your kids birth certificates will show your maiden name...
I understand you don't need to "officially" change it for Banks, medicare etc, but what about passports??
Thanks in advance!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.11