A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Gemini_Girl
♥ il suo amore ♥
♥ il suo amore ♥
Topic Author

Do you combine your income..etc?

Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:02 am

Hi Ladies,

Dh & I have had an argument this morning about combining our incomes, paying rent & bills etc.
Previously we have just had our seperate accounts and paid half each for bills. I feel like Im being left with nothing at the end of the week, and DH who earns double than what I do, still has a lot more left.

I have worked out a plan, combining our income and paying all our bills and still having a good amount left over at the end of the week for ourselves, with all bills and groceries and rent paid for.

But when I called Dh he just said "Oh so now you want all my money too" GRR...

Anyway I'd like to know what you do, with paying for bills etc..do you have joint accounts or seperate?

*Riss*
Happiness Forever
Happiness Forever

Re: Do you combine your income..etc?

Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:09 am

We currently have joint accounts for our home loan and savings but our day to day is currently seperate, where our pay goes etc. We will be changing it, just waiting until we are married and my name is changed etc and then we will have the one account.

sophieej
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:02 am

We both put an equal amount into our joint account each pay and that covers home loan, groceries, bills and then have our own spending money. In practice though we never keep track of whose money is whose. We just share everything. We are on pretty similar salaries though.

b2k
Formerly known as bergette
Formerly known as bergette

Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:09 am

Joint account. All goes in. No 'my money' or 'your money'.

Darens Girl

Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:13 am

Last edited by Darens Girl on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gemini_Girl
♥ il suo amore ♥
♥ il suo amore ♥
Topic Author

Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:16 am

bergette wrote:

Thats what I want us to have, hopefully dh will agree too once I show him the plan I have drawn up. I really think it will help us in the long run. I'd be happy to go halves in everything but I just dont earn as much as he does
Last edited by Gemini_Girl on Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darens Girl

Re:

Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:19 am

Last edited by Darens Girl on Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Autumn2010
Tiger Princess
Tiger Princess

Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:20 am

DH and i had a problem sorta similar to this a while ago, It caused so many arguments. What we do now is when money comes in we pay half each for all bills ex phone bills. The money goes into a joint account and has beays set up on it. The money that is left after that is put into a savings account and we give our selves an allowance each week of about $120 to spend on fuel, phone bills and our selvs. But this works for us because we get paid very similar amounts so noone feels they are being ripped off.
It might be worth actually sitting down with your dh and going through it in person then on the phone.

Gemini_Girl
♥ il suo amore ♥
♥ il suo amore ♥
Topic Author

Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:21 am

Thank you, going to have a read through it now!

laurenvs
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:48 am

Everything we have is joint...we are a partnership and therefor everything is "ours" not "yours and mine", so long as one of us (me) doesn't abuse the system as I earn less and it's not really fair in my opinion to be spending more (alot more) money...

ravensbride2010
Hiking Wife
Hiking Wife

Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:51 pm

bergette wrote:

Same as DH and I.

chellebelle
♥ baby on board! ♥
♥ baby on board! ♥

Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:20 pm

ravensbride2010 wrote:
bergette wrote:

Same as DH and I.

Same here too. When we're trying to save, we allocate ourselves "pocket money" to spend on things like DVDs, shoes, new dresses, etc. It helps cut back down those "little" things we spend each weekend at the shops without noticing.

amy-aims
Married & still Crazy in ♥

Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:28 pm

We have 3 accounts - all joint -

Home loan - where both our pays go into and pay as much as we can off every month
Credit Card - we live off this
Bank account - we keep $200-$300 in here so we have "cash" accessible to pay for things like going out, and basketball games etc.

Everything we have is joint. There is no "yours" and "mine". FH earns triple - quadruple what i earn, but it isn't an issue, i think he likes the fact he is the 'breadwinner' and is able to take care of us. We both work, we have the same bills, go on the same holidays, usually spend the same when we go out, so its just annoying if we have separate accounts.
I get into trouble sometimes for buying too many pairs of shoes, but what g/f/wife doesnt!!?!

beachwedding
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:41 pm

bergette wrote:

Yep we are the same it's been like that since we moved in together 4 years ago

Autumn2010
Tiger Princess
Tiger Princess

Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:14 pm

amy-aims wrote:
I get into trouble sometimes for buying too many pairs of shoes, but what g/f/wife doesnt!!?!

not me.... i barely buy myself any clothes/shoes etc DH has that problem......

amy-aims

Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:26 pm

Really? My FH wont buy anything new for himself - frustrates the hell out of me, he would wear a pair of jeans until they just blew away if i let him! I always just march him into a store and am like - you NEED new jeans, so pick one!!

nursekristel
♥ beach bride ♥
♥ beach bride ♥

Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:36 pm

we have a joint account too..
all the money goes in there and we have two accounts coming off that.. one for bills and rent and one for savings (which is wedding money at the moment!)

jaynage
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:37 pm

We have one joint account for everything, there is no splitting of anything. Our one account offsets our mortgage, so we use our credit card for all bills and daily expenses, and then just pay that off monthly. It works really well.

Scarlett
I need a title
I need a title

Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:50 pm

We earn quite differetn amounts. We use 2 joint accounts to which we contribute to equally - one to pay for regular bills (rates, rego, etc) and another for weekly expenses (groceries, phone bills, events such as dinner or nights out if we are both there). I pay the mortgage (house is in my name) and he pays child support (though once that finishes, he will put that amount - which is about the same as our mortgage repayment 8O - into the home loan). Oh, and he also pays for our shares loan.

Everything else is separate - so we can feel free to buy whatever we want for ourselves, because it is our own money. No guilt, no having to check to make sure its ok I buy those cute boots :wink:

It doesn't bother me that he earns more (almost double) - I figure he works hard for his money and deserves what he gets paid (a lot of which is from overtime) so he should be able to use that money however he wants. Especially don't mind when he spoils me! :D

mrsctobe2011
Bridezilla in the making ♥
Bridezilla in the making ♥

Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:28 pm

bergette wrote:

Yep, we're exactly the same. And we've been that way for the majority of our relationship.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.38