A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

YUKI
Topic Author

Another Passport Question

Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:49 am

Hi Ladies,

I was organising my passport now but i'm due to get married in March and i want to go overseas in July.

If i organise it now it will be in my maiden name. Would i still be able to use it in July if i've changed my last name or am i better off applying after i get married?

I wanted to start now as i hear it can be a long process if you come from a family like mine (Mum married a few times, dad nowhere to be found blah blah blah) and I think you need 1 to actually start booking your o/s trip if your going through a travel agent?

BubS
I need a title
I need a title

Re: Another Passport Question

Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:35 pm

Many women maintain their maiden names for their entire lives, or use them for some purposes and not others. I am quite certain it wouldn't make a difference. But please someone clarify if I am wrong :lol: Having said that, you are likely to have your maiden name on this passport for the next 10 years.. would you be ok with that?

You are right, the process can take a long time. I wouldn't think you would have it in time before you wanted to leave in July. Or at the very least, you would be stressing about it!

I will have my maiden name on my passport when we go on our honeymoon overseas a few months after we plan to get married... There's no way I would get another passport as a.) I will still have 3 years left on it and 2.) its expensive!

Kt_Kat
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:49 pm

My maiden name was on my passport when we went overseas because we were going straight after the wedding - you just have to remember to book things in your maiden name, so it all matches up. A travel agent would be able to tell you what needs to match your passport - I think it's airline tickets and things like visas.

FWIW, you can change your passport for free within 12 months of the wedding date - same as your driver's licence. They'll only give you a new one up til the expiry of the old one, but for me that's fine as I'll still have 3 years left on it before I need to renew again.

In theory it can take 6-8 weeks for your passport to come after you apply. My husband's came within 2 weeks - but his photo was also rejected first, so we had to go get another one taken and resubmit. After that it was 2 weeks. If you were unlucky and hit a peak period and they wanted to check anything, it could take the full 8 weeks or so. I'd probably get the passport now while you've got the time, book your overseas trip things in your maiden name and leave the name-changing things until after you get home from that. I'm only just changing things now, 5 months after, and it hasn't affected anything else I do.

YUKI
Topic Author

Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:25 pm

Thanks ladies, Very helpful info! I'll get it now and have it changed when i get back from my trip :)

kaywoman68
♥ Mrs R ♥
♥ Mrs R ♥

Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:01 pm

BubS wrote:

I will have my maiden name on my passport when we go on our honeymoon overseas a few months after we plan to get married... There's no way I would get another passport as a.) I will still have 3 years left on it and 2.) its expensive!

They will issue a gratis passport if you apply within 12 months of getting married. It will be issued up to the expiry date of the passport in your maiden name
GZIP: On | Load: 0.76