A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

emylou55
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author

Help Changing name... Please

Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:53 pm

Hi Girls - Im actually feeling sick about the whole name change thing!! Its not that i dont want to take DHs name - im just really dreading the process.
Where do i start? Does anyone have a list of places to call? Can you do them over the phone or do i need to attend offices to change it?

I just recieved my certified cert the other day so i have no excuses now :roll:

*Riss*
Happiness Forever
Happiness Forever

Re: Help Changing name... Please

Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:55 pm

Start with the major things - banks, medicare, license. Then just do things as they come. It's not as daunting as it seems and there is no hurry. Deep breath hun and good luck.

P.S. Did your celebrant give you a list of things to change??

Dandelion
Queen Of My Castle
Queen Of My Castle

Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:55 pm

A lot of places have a form they require you to fill out and attach a certified photocopy of your marriage cert too. Our celebrant gave me a 'name change kit', which had a checklist of places as well as the major forms for drivers lisence, ato, electoral enrollement etc. The worst ones to change have been super and banks etc though.

*Riss*
Happiness Forever
Happiness Forever

Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:59 pm

What's been bad about the banks Dan?? I am yet to change that (have to wait until our block of land sells)

NN
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:01 pm

Driver's licence: I just went in with their form and certificate and they did it straight away
Banks (ANZ & Commonwealth): Went in with my bank/credit cards and certificate, they changed details and ordered new cards
Electoral Roll: There is a form on the website
Passport
Medicare
Super (Also if your husband has you as his recipient of his death benefit he should change your name there too)
Utilities Bills

I haven't done much but I suppose most of them would want to see your certificate so if you can't go in directly you'll have to send a copy signed by jp by mail

Dandelion
Queen Of My Castle
Queen Of My Castle

Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:03 pm

Nothing terrible, just a lot of our other companies have had a form to fill out and send in, but the banks require us to go in person. I'll try and do that this afternoon, so hopefully it won't be a big deal.

We are in the process of combining our accounts as well as getting new quotes on insurance, so it's a bit of a muddle for us as to what to do first, but that is no-ones fault but our own! :lol:

Autumn2010
Tiger Princess
Tiger Princess

Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:07 pm

You don't have to do it all at once, you can do it slowly. Get a few photo copies of your marriage certificate and get them signed by a jp. Next time your at the shops stop by your bank or banks and they can make the change on the spot (sometimes give you a new card or post one out to you), some places you can just call and they make the chamge (like telstra), some you can email a scanned copy of the marriage certificate. I have only just done my passport and its now 10 months ago that i got married and i still haven't done my drivers licence.

The only place i have had trouble with is ING because they have only one process that will take me 2 weeks!!!!

There is a thread here somewhere with loads of fidderent places you may need to change at, if i find it i'll post unless someone beats me :)

Autumn2010
Tiger Princess
Tiger Princess

Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:09 pm

*Riss*
Happiness Forever
Happiness Forever

Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:11 pm

Autumn2010 wrote:

I was going to say, there was a thread on this somewhere. thanks hun :D

SpecialKK
♥ Love being Mrs B ♥
♥ Love being Mrs B ♥

Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:34 pm

Emy, in the stuff that Maree gave you (with a copy of the ceremony and the readings etc) there should be a form with a list of places to change your name. Ive been using that and just doing it slowly. I have found the places that you go to to get it done (banks, medicare, license) have been easiest as Im finding it a hassle to have to get certified copies of the certificate and send it to places like qantas freq flyer etc. ATO just lets you change it over the phone.
Like Dan said, most places you need to fill in a form and send a certified copy of your marriage cert.

miss_donz
♥ Mrs B ♥
♥ Mrs B ♥

Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:17 pm

also make sure you lodge you certificate with BDM first. as your certificate you get on the day isnt actually your "official doc"

i found changing my licence first was easy as then i had "photo id" that i was actaully Mrs B.

some places will say they need to sight the original certificate as well and my certified copy wouldnt do!! stupid people!!

i found the hardest one for me was Telstra, i kept telling them to change my name and ok ok yep all done, the next bill or mail would come in the old name! they finally got it right after a few months!!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.33