A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

YUKI
Topic Author

What have you done to keep your wedding photos/video safe?

Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:15 am

Hi Ladies,

We just picked up our wedding Dvd and the master CD for all the Pro pics.
What did you do to keep these safe? I want some peace of mind that if the house burns down/we get robbed/ flooded etc. that i will still be able to look at these for years to come.

We gave a copy of the photos/dvd to our parents but i'm not sure if that's enough. It really does worry me that discs get damaged so easily.

What did you do?

KateM
It's between Me and Steve McQueen
It's between Me and Steve McQueen

Re: What have you done to keep your wedding photos/video safe?

Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:03 am

You could always back it up online somewhere.

helga106

Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:07 pm

Photobucket is a good place you can upload them up to and have them stored online. Other ideas are having one of your close friends and swap special photo discs with them or a safer option might be a USB stick or a external storage device. Can you keep a copy of the disc at work even, just in a draw? Also if you keep a copy at home put it in a fire resistant box, so if something ever happened to your home, your important documents are safe.

Another important idea is print the photo's out. Make an album, use the pictures, don't just let them sit on a disc. The more copies you have the safer they are going to be. :)

pinkperfection
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:50 pm

I plan on having several copies and also a cd of them in a safe deposit box. I'm very paranoid

MalinViktoria
Tattooed Wife
Tattooed Wife

Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:28 pm

You should definitely back them up and make several copies, but your photographer/videographer SHOULD also keep your photos and videos for at least a few years to come.

Hawaiian Wedding
Married in Maui
Married in Maui

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:21 pm

Great topic and something I hadn't thought of. I might back them up and swap disks with my sister so we can have backup copies if each others weddings...

Also we have created photo books and will be giving them as gifts to our parents, so that is a few photos out there in case of 'emergency'

darkphoenix
I survived and got married

Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:19 am

I've got a "fire box" that I keep all my important stuff in. It's fire-retardent and has already made it through one fire, so a copy of all our photos and dvd are going in there, I'm also backing it up online, giving copies to my mum and as over the top as it sounds, potentially putting a copy in a safety deposit box. There's a few other things that I've been saying for years I need to put into a safety deposit box, mostly family keepsakes that I'd be devastated if I lost so thinking if I do it, I'll just add in the wedding photos to be extra safe.

One thing I'd definitely suggest for you ladies, if you've only got hard copies, make sure they're stored properly! Acid free paper and somewhere not damp, poor DH pulled out his childhood photos to show me only to find they were all ruined, moisture got to them and the colours ran :(

Hawaiian Wedding
Married in Maui
Married in Maui

Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:39 am

Katie where do you get a 'fire box' from? Is it just a small safe?

darkphoenix

Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:31 am

It's more like a little trunk Erin but to be honest I'd have no idea where to get them from. It's been in my family for about three generations so I don't know if antique stores would be the go?

bronzestar

Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:33 am

Hawaiian Wedding wrote:
Katie where do you get a 'fire box' from? Is it just a small safe?

You can buy them from hardware stores, like Bunnings.

MattPalmer

Wed May 01, 2013 3:04 pm

Definitely make your own plans and backups. Perhaps give parents a copy or something like that on DVD. They'll enjoy it and you'll have a bit of a safety net.

Your photographer is legally bound by current laws to keep your photographs for 7 years. Many of the cheaper photographers without organised business practices will not do this as it takes time and money to do properly. Personally I'd like to be able to keep the photos I take of everyone, even past 7 years.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.15