A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

NearlyMarried
I survived and got married
I survived and got married
Topic Author

Want To Change Surname BUT...

Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:46 pm

You would think that I would've made my decision by the time I got married but I'm actually struggling with it.

Half the people I know know me by my full given name and the other half which is all the family and long time friends know me by a shortened version of it and have done my entire life.

My DH's surname sounds really good with my full given name BUT when linked with the shortened version I sound like a christmas card! The jokes about that started long before our engagement and has not got any better since we got married. Christmas time is going to be painful !!!! :oops:

My DH (bless him :heart: ) says he doesn't mind if I keep my maiden name but I'm pretty sure his family would. To be honest I think he's just trying to be nice.
I thought about having both surnames but it just doesn't sound right.

Anyone else having the same problem?

I'd really appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you guys may have.

Balls
formerly known as JessieK
formerly known as JessieK

Re: Want To Change Surname BUT...

Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:31 pm

Last edited by Balls on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

millie
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:42 pm

I'm planning on changing my name but god it's a hassle! I'm a teacher and constantly hear my name so def used to my new name now!! It only took the kids 1 day to get my new name and off they went with it!

Chewdi-Koi
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:13 pm

I am feeling so guilty about this..but DH surname sounds like a freaking dinosaur.

I have always thought I would change names without a second thought, but now its here I dont think I want to. It doesnt help when my name is so simple and DH's name needs to be spelt out every time you say it.

We have been married since 09 June, but havnt gotten our certificate yet thanks to a fumble by the celebrant. In a way its annoying because I want to get the name change out of the way so I cant do anything about it. And then theres part of me enjoying not having it because I get to keep 'me' so to speak.

I must sound like a *****. :/

beanie02

Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:59 pm

It's your name, you shouldn't let other people's opinions affect it. You're the one whose going to live with it.

I have a friend who married and she kept her name. But we all know she's married and very close to her husband. Don't listen to other people, listen to yourself. :)

Zenyatta
DIY Bride
DIY Bride

Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:23 am

I'm very attached to my maiden name so I'm going to continue to use it at work and professionally. I think my name sounds weird with DH's last name but hopefully I'll just get used to it...FYI, I'm told that you can change your name for free up to 12 months after the wedding - for your passport and licence and stuff. Just something for you to consider.

Edit - that may be for NSW only. Check for your state.
Last edited by Zenyatta on Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.02