A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

NismoGirl
Mummy to gorgeous puppies

Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:54 am

We've had our joint account since December last year when our mortgage started. Was just easier to have both our wages going into one account and not two then getting transferred over.

As long as you've changed your name, I dare say it's just as simple as signing an account application and signing it all over.

We just opened DH's account as a joint one and closed his savings one down.

Weezee
I survived and got married

Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:20 pm

NismoGirl wrote:
How long did it take to get your certificate? We are still waiting.. 3 weeks this weekend :S

We were married 2nd June and the certificate came 14th/15th June while we were still on our honeymoon.

NismoGirl

Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:09 pm

Good on you Lanz, want to offer your time to do mine too? :D

Weezee, I thought it was a few weeks as well. I figured there'd be a huge backlog from the 07/07/07 seeming apparently it was a really popular date!!

I guess if we don't have it next week, I'll be ringing to ask questions.

I just remembered that the lounge we bought with our wedding money is over it's due delivery date. I rang and they reckon it's being delivered tomorrow to them and we should hopefully have it tomorrow afternoon! Woohoo!

Weezee

Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:56 pm

NismoGirl wrote:
Weezee, I thought it was a few weeks as well. I figured there'd be a huge backlog from the 07/07/07 seeming apparently it was a really popular date!!

I guess if we don't have it next week, I'll be ringing to ask questions.

I just remembered that the lounge we bought with our wedding money is over it's due delivery date. I rang and they reckon it's being delivered tomorrow to them and we should hopefully have it tomorrow afternoon! Woohoo!

It may just be a backlog, but I would be chasing it up if you don't see it in the next week or two. I read on another thread on here that someone had to wait 6 weeks for their's to come, I cannot remember who it was and by memory it was in the last few months.

Oh and mine came registered mail too so my Dad had to go in and sign for it.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:52 am

We got married on 070707 - we went in yesterday at lunch and they printed it out there and there!!

- it was a copy that we had signed on the actual day....so I was surprised at that.

zoltansprincess
Ebay Addict
Ebay Addict

Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:30 pm

My certificate arrived yesterday after only 1 week, and I paid the regular amount.

zoltansprincess
Ebay Addict
Ebay Addict

Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:35 pm

070707 wrote:
We got married on 070707 - we went in yesterday at lunch and they printed it out there and there!!

- it was a copy that we had signed on the actual day....so I was surprised at that.

Which certificate are you talking about? The official marriage certificate in Queensland doesn't have your signature? The commemorative one does though that you receive on the day. My offical marriage certificate is the same format as my birth certificate, but I only got the regular one not a commerative one from BDM, however the one from our celebrant on the day is lovely

Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:50 pm

Nope in Vic its not like your official birth certificate, ours is handwritten!!

hillbilly girl
Run for the Hills
Run for the Hills

Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:53 pm

070707 wrote:
Nope in Vic its not like your official birth certificate, ours is handwritten!!

the one I got from BDM in Melbourne was an official looking thing (more official looking than the commemorative one anyway!!)
which the celebrant filled out prior to our wedding day

NismoGirl

Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:33 pm

Wow ness, you're getting close!!

Maybe I should have just waited and ordered ours ourselves. Unless the celebrant was cranky at us for forgetting to pay her that she didn't send the paperwork in? :S

hillbilly girl
Run for the Hills
Run for the Hills

Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:07 pm

If you ring BDM they should be able to tell you if the celebrant has put the paperwork in

zoltansprincess
Ebay Addict
Ebay Addict

Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:21 pm

I thought of a few more places where people may need to change their name:

Centrelink (if applicable)
Real Estate Agency if you're renting

NismoGirl

Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:21 pm

hillbilly girl wrote:
If you ring BDM they should be able to tell you if the celebrant has put the paperwork in

Pooey.

The paperwork has been received but hasn't been processed yet! It's been 4 weeks this Friday :( The lady said it can take up to 6 weeks. I guess from that date there will be a huge backlog.

I told her I was having an identify crisis (thanks zoe for that term!) and she laughed at me! She said if I don't have it by the middle of August to give them another call because it should be out by then.

Apparently ones it's registered, it's all linked and the certificate is printed and mailed automatically.. So.. technically we aren't legally married yet because it's not registered!! How bad is that.

Zoe Peta
All Grown Up
All Grown Up
Topic Author

Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:52 pm

^^^Bummer!!! That is dissapointing! Oh, well, just think of it positively, you are over half way for waiting!!! :D

zoltansprincess
Ebay Addict
Ebay Addict

Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Im so annoyed at BDM. When I first faxed through my application for the certificate I didnt hear anything for a few days so I assumed that maybe the fax didn't go through properly so I went into BDM and asked if that application had been received. They said no there was no sign of it and it hadn't been processed so I hadnt been charged or anything so i put in a new application and paid via eftpos. So I did that, got the certificate about a week later, then the day after that my credit card was charged for the cost of the certificate even though i had already paid via eftpos (my credit card details were on the faxed application). So I called up (very annoyed) and they said that the faxed application must have gone through but hadnt been record at the time so when i went in a few days later it looked like they didnt have it. Now I have to wait until I get the second certificate, write a letter explaining everything to BDM, take that in along with the second certifcate, then wait for a refund cheque to be mailed to me. How about paying me for wasting my lunch breaks sorting this out :x It's such an inconvenience they really need to employ more staff.

misscarlz
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:37 pm

damn zp... i would be cranky if I were you.

I sent mine away on the tuesday after the wedding which was the 19th and still havent recieved our certificate???

It's been 6 weeks already??

i should ring them

NismoGirl

Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:44 pm

misscarlz, I'd definitely be ringing them. They told me today that 6 weeks is the most you should wait for it.

misscarlz
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:49 pm

I just tried but no answer cause they shut at 4.30pm. Will have to wait until wednesday lunch break because I wont be home to do it tomorrow.

hillbilly girl
Run for the Hills
Run for the Hills

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:03 am

girls - unless I'm mistaken, you still have to APPLY for the certificate, even if yr celebrant/minister, etc has sent in the paperwork - I don't think its a GIVEN that they send you a copy, unless you have paid yr celebrant MORE to get an official copy
our celebrant sent in the paperwork on the monday after our wedding (he went in himself to lodge it!!) but we still had to apply for it - I went into the office and got it about 6 weeks after which was when I was motivated enough to start changing things ;)

mogle
~Urban Queen~
~Urban Queen~

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:21 am

hillbilly girl wrote:
girls - unless I'm mistaken, you still have to APPLY for the certificate, even if yr celebrant/minister, etc has sent in the paperwork - I don't think its a GIVEN that they send you a copy, unless you have paid yr celebrant MORE to get an official copy

Absolutely. I thought I/someone had said this earlier in the thread.

DH and I just went in to BDM ourselves and got it on the spot. That's the easiest way! Or just apply online.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.54