A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

zoltansprincess
Ebay Addict
Ebay Addict

Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:22 am

NismoGirl I'm glad the complaints number was helpful :D With changing my name I have just taken my original in to all the places that I've changed my name at so far (e.g. RACQ, Transport, etc) but I still have heaps left to do so I guess that getting certified copies of your marriage certificate would be the way to go

NismoGirl
Mummy to gorgeous puppies

Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:24 am

It was just a thought I had to print off a few copies, get each one certified and send them away.

With everyones medicare card, did you just change your name on your card, or transfer onto one card and have two new ones sent out?

Zoe Peta
All Grown Up
All Grown Up
Topic Author

Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:48 pm

I called places and asked what they needed. Some wanted me to write a letter and send a copy, others just needed it faxed.

I would call around and see what each organisation requires.

hillbilly girl
Run for the Hills
Run for the Hills

Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:30 pm

NismoGirl wrote:
With everyones medicare card, did you just change your name on your card, or transfer onto one card and have two new ones sent out?

my situation re: medicare was a bit different as my two sons are on mine, but what ended up happening was that DH basically gave his card to medicare and he was added to mine so now, we both have a medicare card with DH, my two boys and I on it each :)
I found I only had to show my certificate at two places - the bank and my work! Everywhere else pretty much changed it on my say so

NismoGirl

Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:11 pm

Well, whilst off sick from work (with a cold), I decided that it would be a good chance to go out and change my name at DOT and tha bank.

Sniffling and sneezing, I stood in DOT with the rest of Brisbane and changed my licence over. Changed my bank account over, got the form from medicare.

I might have a sleep now, I'm feel VERY tired :(

zoltansprincess
Ebay Addict
Ebay Addict

Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:17 pm

It's funny that you say that because I too changed my license over when I was really sick and off work so I look like crap in my photo :lol:

Weezee
I survived and got married

Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:19 am

I filled out and mailed the form for change of details the Australian Electoral Commision have on their website, I also sent them a copy of my marriage certificate when I mailed this back to them.

I have received a letter from them stating acknowledgement of electoral enrolment, and it doesn't say anything about the change of my name.

Has anyone else received this letter and did your read the same?

NismoGirl

Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:28 am

I find it very bizarre that you can just ring the ATO and have your TFN and ABN details changed to reflect your new surname... but everywhere else required certified copies of the certificate!

hillbilly girl
Run for the Hills
Run for the Hills

Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:29 pm

NismoGirl wrote:
I find it very bizarre that you can just ring the ATO and have your TFN and ABN details changed to reflect your new surname... but everywhere else required certified copies of the certificate!

yep and if you ring to get info about yr tax file number over the phone, you usually can't!! 8O :lol: :lol:
Foxtel are also one that want a certified copy even though they're taking $$ out of my bank account which has my new name on it!!!!
Gov Depts is all I'll say ;)

NismoGirl

Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:13 pm

The girls having trouble with their medicare cards, did you go into a centre and do it over the counter? We did on saturday morning and they gave us a piece of paper then and there that was a replacement until our cards arrive..

I thought she did it all very quickly, didn't even want a copy of our certificate, just saw that I'd changed my name on my licence. Weird.

So far, not ONE person has wanted a certified copy. Even the bank that told me they needed one, all they did was view the original, state sighted original on the copy and changed it. So much for needing another 75 points of ID to prove I had changed my name. It's been suprisingly painless!

But, did anyone else get a weird/happy feeling over them when they looked at their bank account or something new that says your new married name? I saw our internet banking had been changed to A J & E M (married name) and it made me smile.

Kinda feels real now that I'm known by my married name.

Also, I got a birthday card (albeit late) from DH's grandparents and it had "happy birthday granddaughter" on the front. Then on the inside it had "happy birthday to our new grand daughter". How sweet, it nearly made me cry!

hillbilly girl
Run for the Hills
Run for the Hills

Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:19 am

NismoGirl wrote:
The girls having trouble with their medicare cards, did you go into a centre and do it over the counter? We did on saturday morning and they gave us a piece of paper then and there that was a replacement until our cards arrive..

I thought she did it all very quickly, didn't even want a copy of our certificate, just saw that I'd changed my name on my licence. Weird.

thats what happened with us at medicare - DH wasn't even with me and they put his name onto my card

MrsG2B!
Butterfly Girl
Butterfly Girl

Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:41 pm

For those with dogs or cats, The owner name on their micochip needs to be changed.

I have just started the name changing process today. What a drain it is!

rooftopbalcony
Arty Bee
Arty Bee

Re: List of places for name change

Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:44 pm

Also - professional registration boards

Blue_81
A many splendid thing
A many splendid thing

Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:26 am

Last edited by Blue_81 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emma-chan

Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:24 pm

Man, the more I think about changing my name the more I just want to keep my old one...just when you think you have thought of everything something else crops up!! I think I will just stick to the major ones (DL, ATO, work, etc) and as correspondance comes in on the rest I'll change it over...my head hurts from trying to remember every place I have my name at 8O

mrschippo

Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:56 pm

thanks for this girls.....never knew there were so many things to think about until u see it written down lol

nicolebaxter92
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:31 pm

I thought I was overwhelmed before! Thanks for the lists, it's a HUGE help. Glad I don't have to do this until AFTER the wedding.

Wiz

Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:52 pm

An issue that I had was the order I did things - I did my drivers licence before I went to the bank, then the bank wanted a proper ID in my maiden name so I had to go home and get my passport before they would change it. Not all banks are like this (I have accounts at two different banks and the other one didn't have an issue), but if you're setting out to make a day of name changing like I did, make sure you know what you'll need everywhere or it will just create more hassle.

seeingstars

Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:11 pm

Wow, great post. Really helpful thanks!

jacqui_Rewind
♥ Soon to be Mrs dj Atomik ♥
♥ Soon to be Mrs dj Atomik ♥

Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:15 pm

great list!
it's so helpful
don't know where to start but this is making me feel less confused! LOL!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.35