A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

jesibl
Topic Author

what to call your parents-in-law?

Sun May 18, 2008 10:06 pm

after getting married what do you call your parents in law?

i have called my parents in law mr X and mrs X since the day i met them, and they have not asked me to call them anything different after the wedding.

on the wedding day, my mum asked my husband to call her mum from now on because she considers him her son, which i thought was a lovely gesture

now i'm wondering, should i be upset that my parents-in-law don't want me to call them mum and dad? is is weird that i am calling his parents mr X and mrs X while my husband calls my mum "mum"...

JJ20
I survived and got married

Re: what to call your parents-in-law?

Sun May 18, 2008 10:11 pm

I just call them by their first names. I could not imagine calling them mum or dad, it would feel super weird!

Porcelain
Loved Up
Loved Up

Sun May 18, 2008 10:27 pm

I call them (and will after we're married) by their first names. I couldn't imagine calling them by anything else.

mogle
~Urban Queen~
~Urban Queen~

Sun May 18, 2008 11:35 pm

JJ20 wrote:
I just call them by their first names. I could not imagine calling them mum or dad, it would feel super weird!

Same, I use first names. DH does the same for my parents.

I already have a Mum & Dad, and I could never, ever, use those titles for anyone else.

I think you should do what you, and they, both feel comfortable with. Everyone is different.

Bella_Bride
Goddess of Chat
Goddess of Chat

Sun May 18, 2008 11:36 pm

No one else will ever be Mum and Dad bar my parents. My inlaws are called by their first names.

kristal
Mrs Frangi
Mrs Frangi

Mon May 19, 2008 11:36 am

jesibl wrote:
after getting married what do you call your parents in law?

i have called my parents in law mr X and mrs X since the day i met them, and they have not asked me to call them anything different after the wedding.

This was me for about 6 years! I always called the Mr & Mrs because that was what I had always been taught by my parents as a mark of respect - plus my in-laws are really old and like that kind of thing. But once we got engaged (and after 6-7 years together), I thought it was absolutely stupid that I was still addressing them as virtual strangers! So I just bit the bullet and started calling them by their first names and they never corrected me. So that was it really. I would never call them mum and dad though, that is taking it a step too far and hurtful to tmy parents.

KLC
I need a title
I need a title

Mon May 19, 2008 11:40 am

I call mine by their names.... they insisted on i from the first day i met them :)

I even think they would love it if i called them Mum and Dad but its just a little toooo weird for me... lol

bridetobe08
Live, Laugh, Love
Live, Laugh, Love

Mon May 19, 2008 11:48 am

I just call them by their first names. I don't think I will ever call them Mum and Dad, just seems a bit weird to me....

Little Princess

Mon May 19, 2008 12:35 pm

I call them by their first names. MIL asked me to call her mum but its too weird even though we are close.

kam82
~Accidently In Love~
~Accidently In Love~

Mon May 19, 2008 12:38 pm

I currently do and will after the wedding, call my inlaws by their first names.

never never bride
never say never
never say never

Mon May 19, 2008 12:41 pm

I think calling adults calling adults by Mr and Mrs is a little strange, so I call mine by their first names.

blosspop
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon May 19, 2008 1:56 pm

I call my FPIL by their first names and will after the wedding. I think it'll be just a bit too wierd to call them mum and dad (plus FFIL HATES it if anyone other than his kids call him dad)

rooftopbalcony
Arty Bee
Arty Bee

Mon May 19, 2008 4:11 pm

I have to call my in-laws mum and dad :( it's part of their culture that when you get married, you must call all family members exactly the same as what your husband calls them. I am not entirely comfortable doing it, but I didn't bother fighting it because it would offend them too much. My parents still don't know that I call them mum and dad. DH calls my parents by their first names, and he finds that uncomfortable and keeps asking if he should call them mum and dad! I told him no way - I know for a fact that my mum doesn't like it when people call their in-laws mum and dad.

Magdelina
Mrs Sociable 2008
Mrs Sociable 2008

Mon May 19, 2008 5:49 pm

I call MIL by her first name, I would find it a little odd to call her Mum.

My Dad however calls my Mums parents, Mum and Dad. Yet that just seems normal.. lol. He did live with them for a few years when Mum brought Dad to Australia.

jesibl
Topic Author

Thu May 22, 2008 4:03 pm

well, my parents-in-law told me they wanted me to call them mum and dad after all, so all has worked out.

looking at the answers in this thread, there is a cultural difference going on.

in my culture, there is no way i could EVER call someone older than me by their first names. i call everyone aunty or uncle, or mr X or mrs X.

so i guess i should have realised that calling your in-laws "mum" and "dad" would not be a likely step for most of you guys, but thanks for your responses.

i actually feel weird calling my in-laws mum and dad, so instead, because i have been calling them mr X and mrs X for so long, i have now changed it to mama X and papa X. it is actually quite cute, and respectful enough for our culture.

pink_vanilla

Thu May 22, 2008 4:54 pm

I call them by their first names and will continue to do so after we are married :D

strawberrypatch11
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu May 22, 2008 8:46 pm

I call my FPIL by their first names. It would seem too weird to call them Mr and Mrs. Besides I am very close with them and Mr and Mrs is very formal. I couldn't call them Mum and dad, cause as someone else said, I only have one Mum and dad!

kryshia
Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda
Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda

Thu May 22, 2008 8:50 pm

I call my FFIL by his name and I call my FMIL Ma (her name is Margaret so it is kinda a short version)

Bakaness
I have Unpopular Opinions
I have Unpopular Opinions

Fri May 23, 2008 1:17 am

I call my in-laws by their first names - I'd feel odd calling them "Mum" or "Dad" (I'd feel especially weird calling my MIL "Dad!" :lol: ) - it's not the kind of thing done in that family - too many divorces. My Dad calls his MIL "Mum" and has done for as long as I remember (when it's not "Nanna") - but I know my H wouldn't feel comfortable calling my parents Mum and Dad, although he knows he's welcome to, but they won't push the matter.

kiwicolz
cant make up my mind
cant make up my mind

Fri May 23, 2008 10:21 pm

just plain evil... :evil:
GZIP: On | Load: 0.1