A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

GinnylovesBrett
I survived and got married

Re: what to call your parents-in-law?

Sat May 24, 2008 3:08 am

I call both of mine by their first names - I agree with other ladies that I already have a mum and dad so my in-laws wont be called that...
another option is to come up with a cute nickname...my mum called my dad's parents "MIL" and "FIL" - you girls will already know what they stand for!
Thats a kind of cute, affectionate way of naming them without using mum and dad...

Mel0205
"Marriage of True Minds"
"Marriage of True Minds"

Sat May 24, 2008 3:00 pm

My FH calls his own parents by their first name's so I'm certainly not calling them anything else. Pretty much from the moment I met them they asked me to call them by their first names so that's what I do.

grevinde
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat May 24, 2008 11:32 pm

I called my parents-in-law by their title and surname until my now husband and I were engaged. After this, they invited me to call them by their first names.

hike275
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun May 25, 2008 12:00 am

Since I met my FPIL I've always called them by their first names, FH on the other hand calls my parents Mr & Mrs.....I've told him to call them by their first names even though neither of them have actually told him to do so.
You could get your DH to ask his parents if it be alright you call them by their first names. I find the Mr & Mrs too formal, especially after you are married.....

On another note my FBIL's fiancee calls my FPIL mum and dad, I was a bit envious at first as I've known FPIL longer but then realised everyone is different and FPIL wouldn't mind me calling them mum and dad but I feel more comfortable calling them by their first names.

KateM
It's between Me and Steve McQueen
It's between Me and Steve McQueen

Mon May 26, 2008 3:43 pm

JJ20 wrote:
I just call them by their first names. I could not imagine calling them mum or dad, it would feel super weird!

same.
Why not ask them?

Andie1983
Soon you can call me MRS Woody...
Soon you can call me MRS Woody...

Tue May 27, 2008 9:42 pm

Porcelain wrote:
I call them (and will after we're married) by their first names. I couldn't imagine calling them by anything else.

Same here :D

nikeedee
Queen of the Desert
Queen of the Desert

Wed May 28, 2008 11:32 am

I already call my FMIL by her first name, Fh says she would love it if I called her Mum, but for me that would seem too weird. I will probably continue to call her by her first name

YSKIP1

Thu May 29, 2008 8:41 am

i call my in laws mum and dad.. i got told of for calling them by their names

Suzi
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:03 pm

I call my inlaws Mum and dad but my parents are mum and dad but in another language so its different

amydevi
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:53 pm

First names, i can't imagine calling them mum & dad. But when i talk to my FH about them i refer to them as your mum & dad. I think maybe just ask in private.

mayijami80
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:01 pm

I call my FIL by his first name...I always have. When I write cards out to him I do however just write dad(and grandpa) and when he writes cards to us he always signs it as dad. I would probably feel too weird calling him Dad.
My Dh calls my parents by their first names too...although during conversations he said he regards my mum as a mum because his mum passed away when he was 12...even though he would never replace his mum so to speak.

MrsSomers
Brady's Lady
Brady's Lady

Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:30 pm

I have and always will call FIL's by their first names but FH will call my parents mum and dad. Mostly because theyre more "parent-ish" than his own parents and kind of expect it!

montenard
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:50 pm

I call them by their first names. My FH calls my mum "mother" and my dad by his first name. "Mother" is like a pet name for my parents as i call them "mother and "Father". Not being formal just happened some how (even though i refer to them as mum and dad in converstations).

I think will call my FPIL by their first names until we have children and then I will call them nanna pa etc whatever they want to be called.

Just too werid to refer to them as mum and dad. They havent asked me to so i havent done so.

Pnut
WCPD
WCPD

Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:18 pm

I call them by their first names - but FH calls my parents Mum and Dad LOL and they like it!! :D

Uptownerd
*now with extra zing
*now with extra zing

Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:39 pm

Oh! I have this fight with FMIL all the time!

I am SO USED to calling people's parents Mr and Mrs blah blah. So I can't HELP but call her Mrs blah blah. And she yells at me! NO NO NO KRYSTLE, DON'T CALL ME THAT! CALL ME LIINDA! WE'RE FAMILY NOW!! (haha we're not even married yet).

I just feel disrespectful calling her by her first name :oops: especially seeing how I still call my friends' parents Mr and Mrs blah blah!!

TinaBeans
Catchin Up on Mah Stories
Catchin Up on Mah Stories

Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:08 pm

^ I know what you mean, I have friends who still call each other parents Mrs So and So. But my mum always had my friends call her by her first name, and I called her friends by their first names, so I'm used to it.

Not married yet I call them by their first names. I think when we have kids I'll call 'em Mum and Dad or Grandma and Grandpa.

Sezz
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:46 am

I call them by their first names now and will continue to do so. My FPIL have no daughters, but 4 sons so I think they kind of regard me as a daughter, especially seeing as FH and I live on the same farm as them, only 200m away. FFIL has slipped up a few times when talking about FMIL with me and refered to her as "your mother" and then realised and corrected himself hehehe.

applechapman
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:36 pm

If I'm talking about his mom I'll call her name. If I'm speaking to her I just kinda launch into the convo and don't call her anything....LOL

BrideLike

Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:19 pm

I call them by their first names. FIL will refer to himself as "Pa" when writing us a card or email but not in person.

sasnboots
Luckiest
Luckiest

Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:36 pm

Fh calls his parents by their first names sometimes so i think eaveryone would look at me as if i were an alien if i called the in laws mum and dad. It's first names for me as well.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.37