A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

sasnboots
Luckiest
Luckiest

Re: what to call your parents-in-law?

Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:36 pm

Fh calls his parents by their first names sometimes so i think eaveryone would look at me as if i were an alien if i called the in laws mum and dad. It's first names for me as well.

chicken_licken
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:03 am

Nothing because I don't speak to them, but I used to call them by their first names.

FutureMrsBridge
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:38 am

first names for me too

mands_82
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:42 pm

I call my FPIL by their first names but oddly enough FMIL always refers to FFIL as 'dad' when speaking to me. I dont think she means to, it just kind of happens. While it shouldn't, it does bother and upset me, because my dad passed away last October, and it is a stark reminder that my dad is gone. FMIL would be absolutely mortified if she knew it upset me and I certainly would never tell her because I recognise that there is no malicious intent there.

nikeedee
Queen of the Desert
Queen of the Desert

Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:01 pm

DH said before we married that it would be good if I called MIL Mum. So the first time I did she looked at me like I had grown an extra head ! I felt very uncomfortable, and Im sure she did too... so Ive gone back to calling her by her christian name.

My own mum on the other hand LOVES DH calling her Mum ! Its like she has a new son !!

jaynage
I survived and got married

Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:02 am

I call my MIL and FIL by their first names, and DH calls my parents by their names as well. I know for a fact that my parents at least would detest being called Mum and Dad by DH. I don't think DH's parents would mind if I called them Mum and Dad, but I wouldn't like it, so first names is fine.

Monnie
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:44 am

DH has always called my parents by thier first names and i have always done the same.....

tho sometimes we call my dad noley (noel) as thats what my sisters friends have called him for years and my mum Bendy (wendy)

When i was younger we called our friends parents Mr and Mrs...but for some reason now we call them by thier first names...i guess we are adults like them now
My dad NEVER let any of my friends call him MR he always said it makes him feel old

Scrappysuzuki
Missus H
Missus H

Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:11 am

I call them by thier first names, I refer to them to dh as "your folks" or "You mum and dad" and to others as "Dh folks" On a card I will write Mum and Dad :D

dotty
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:59 pm

DH's dad is passed away, but I call his Mum by her first name, even on cards and presents etc. Hell will freeze over before I acknowledge her in any affectionate form. Apparently this year she "cried" because on her present I put her first name and not "Mum". But that's a whole other story! We didn't even get a present off her! If I had a good relationship with them, I MIGHT do the "Mum/Dad" thing. But my parents are Ma and Pa, it would take me awhile to warm up to it.

dotty
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:00 pm

I should add that DH calls my parents Mum and Dad, but we live 3 states away from his family, and my family has been more like family than them anyways!

arialia
Mrs Le'Roy
Mrs Le'Roy

Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:49 pm

I call my new MIL by her first name - there is no way in hell I will ever call her Mum!

DH calls my parents by their first name, but my parents would love for him to call them Mum and Dad, but DH thinks that would offend his Mum.

nic0985
QB ♥ BD
QB ♥ BD

Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:56 pm

First names here too. Shortened nicknames though, like Tez :D

Might add though, my dad calls my mothers parents mum and dad like its the most normal thing in the world, but I could never do it... just feels like Id be insulting my real parents i think.I dont know if mum did the same when dads parents were alive, but Im guessing yes...

*Riss*
Happiness Forever
Happiness Forever

Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:37 am

I will just be calling them by their first names, no way would I call her mum

Autumn2010
Tiger Princess
Tiger Princess

Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:45 pm

On the invites i used their names, but when talking to them or about them i sorta avoid saying their names - They are indian names and i always feel like i would be saying them wrong. Just something in my head. Fh calls my parents by their names.

Tan984
Mrs Stranger Danger
Mrs Stranger Danger

Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:20 pm

Autumn2010 wrote:
On the invites i used their names, but when talking to them or about them i sorta avoid saying their names - They are indian names and i always feel like i would be saying them wrong. Just something in my head. Fh calls my parents by their names.

My MIL is indian and I hate saying her name so I avoid it. I just try and get their attention! :D

sweeti3
Mrs Bailey
Mrs Bailey

Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:42 pm

I call my FMIL Mum. Have been since I got drunk at my 18th and asked if I could, mind you BF and I had a daughter together already. My Mum passed away when I was 10 so I really like having someone to call Mum even though she will never replace the memory of Mum. My parents always called their in laws Mum and Dad so it doesn't feel strange to me.

BF calls my Dad by his first name. He would feel weird calling him Dad because they aren't that close. Plus he has such a detached relationship with his own Dad who is just bad news.

pinklilli
♥together forever♥
♥together forever♥

Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:29 am

I call MIL and FIL by their first names when I'm talking to them, but when I'm talking about them I actually call them MIL and FIL. MIL wants me to call her Mum, but it just feels wrong. I just figure when we have kids we'll just call them what the kids call them, nanny and poppy or whatever.

bella_bec
♥ Hubby's Pumpkin ♥
♥ Hubby's Pumpkin ♥

Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:50 am

i had this discussion with FH last night and said to him that there is no way in this world i would call his mother 'Mum' or father 'Dad'...i have a mum and my mum is mine and i dont have or want another one so she is the only one to be called by that name and title by me...

He said he thought it to be disrespectful if i didnt call her mum and i said too bad it will never happen...just feels wrong...and i dont care if the are old school italians or whatever they just need to understand that they have their names and i will call them by that or nothing until we have kids and they will be called nonna and nonno....i guess the reason i am so harsh about this is because they both offend me alot by the things they say and the way they treat me FH...

Thena85

Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:58 am

I call my FMIL 'mumzy' just as my FH calls my mum that too. :D Our mums both like that. FH calls my dad 'dad' and I call my FFIL 'dad. D.' (D's the initial of their last name). FH's parents introduce me as their daughter so I find it pretty comfy to refer to them by those names. Although when I talk about them I use their actual names or 'FH's olds'...

MissChookz
Finally a MRS!!
Finally a MRS!!

Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:03 pm

We just call each other parents by their first names. Neither of us are big on calling each others oldies Mum and Dad - so we just stick with their names :D
GZIP: On