A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

*Riss*
Happiness Forever
Happiness Forever
Topic Author

Migraines...

Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:00 am

What does everyone do to manage them...I can only take Mersendoyle when I am able to lie down as it knocks me out and I have had a migraine for nearly a week :(

missgina
Mrs O
Mrs O

Re: Migraines...

Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:30 am

I have only had a handful of migranes.

I only have one preventative and that is when I am not getting enough sleep and burning the candles at both ends, I stay away from processed foods and MSG. Combine those and it is a recepie for disaster.
As far as management goes, I take Mersyndol and Phernergan (I sound like a druggie), black out the room and put earplugs in. Foil on the window is a great way to block out the light.

Hope you feel better soon.

mandamoo
Princess Moo
Princess Moo

Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:33 am

I have tried everything from MRI, all the scans possible, osteo, chiro, acupunture

I am immune to all drugs (panadine forte, mersendolye (forte as well) apart from this atm doctor rec taking 2 panadol and 2 nurophen plus and it nips it in the butt for a little while.

But now see an Osteo every 4 weeks and need to go back to acupunture

Also the pill was causing most of my migraines and came off that so I have it less often

Oh another thing is stress that brings mine on 2...and I avoid red wine as that is another trigger (and I :heart: red wine :( )

Dark room and silence is what i love but I do that after work :cry:

Darens Girl

Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:55 am

Last edited by Darens Girl on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

hazzbang
~ Bargain Bride ~
~ Bargain Bride ~

Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:58 am

I'd say if it's been a week and you are still in pain that your neck is probably out or an injury itself is stemming from somewhere else and the long on-going headache is from that. With a proper migraine headache you can't walk/talk/function AT ALL (cracks me up when people walk up to you with their hand on the forehead at work saying 'Gee, I've got such a bad migraine' - Um, no you don't.. cause if it was a migraine you wouldn't be able to even stand on two feet).

Maybe go to a chiro or osteo and get your neck and back looked at hun??

mandamoo
Princess Moo
Princess Moo

Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:59 am

mrsko wrote:
A lady at work used to have them heaps, she told me that being overweight contributed to hers.

U saying I am overweight MrsKo :lol:

hazzbang
~ Bargain Bride ~
~ Bargain Bride ~

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:00 am

Oh, and one of the biggest contributors to migraines is chocolate (milk & dark, not white) so monitor that too maybe..

mandamoo
Princess Moo
Princess Moo

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:03 am

hazzbang wrote:
With a proper migraine headache you can't walk/talk/function AT ALL (cracks me up when people walk up to you with their hand on the forehead at work saying 'Gee, I've got such a bad migraine' - Um, no you don't.. cause if it was a migraine you wouldn't be able to even stand on two feet).

Sorry Hazzbang but I disagree with the above statement....I have suffered from migraines since I was 16 and its now a coping mechanism....I have to work and have to try and manage it...yes its not productive but you try and get through

Migraines can be different from person to person...some people can walk, others puke, some are light and hearing sensative, others cant see and have blurred vision so its not a standard thing

hazzbang
~ Bargain Bride ~
~ Bargain Bride ~

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:14 am

Oh I know that they are different for everyone hun... believe me, I know.

I have been in state & federal testing before as I have actually been a cronic migraine sufferer since the age of 18 months old (result of encephalitis, spinal tap, flat lining for 6 minutes and a three week coma afterwards), so 16 yrs of my life was actually spent in hospital, anywhere up to 6 nights a week, but on average about 4 nights. Just saying it makes me giggle when people are able to function for 8 hrs at their workplace saying they have a 'migraine' when I know from many years experience and scientific testing that your body can't physically function in an upright position when you have a full migraine attack your system - it's scientifically impossible...

I really think that if you have had such strong headaches for over a week Russa that you have an injury or something out of place?!??? :e_think:

*Riss*
Happiness Forever
Happiness Forever
Topic Author

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:32 am

Thanks girls, I'll start by saying this is the first time I have ever had an experience like this it varies but sometimes (like this morning) it gets soo bad I can't see and concentrate and feel like I am going to be sick. I know what you mean about people coming up and saying "Oh I have migraine" etc though. Trust me, I am not one to make a fuss unless it's really bad

Gina - I wil try that about the foil though, thanks :D

*Riss*
Happiness Forever
Happiness Forever
Topic Author

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:34 am

Oh and I don't have ANY sore muscles etc so not sure about the Oseto?? :?

mandamoo
Princess Moo
Princess Moo

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:41 am

russa1 wrote:

As I said before you may not have sore muscles but an osteo does both bones and muscles and may find a know you may not be aware of...lower back could be out which can affect your head :)

*Riss*
Happiness Forever
Happiness Forever
Topic Author

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:43 am

mandamoo wrote:
russa1 wrote:

As I said before you may not have sore muscles but an osteo does both bones and muscles and may find a know you may not be aware of...lower back could be out which can affect your head :)

Ok, I'll look into that :D

bonnyh
Mrs BOOny P.
Mrs BOOny P.

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:43 am

For me when I get them,

After I've thrown up xxx amount of times I then have a warm shower and sit in on the bottom with the water hitting the back of my neck crying (which makes the pain worse), I then stumble into bed most of the time not even bothering to dry my hair or get dressed,then I lie in a dark room, but noone can talk, come into or turn the light on because that makes me vomit
then the next day I have a "hang over" feeling,
My dr said if it last more then 3 days you are meant to get it checked out, my longest was 10 days went to the hospital and all they did was give me drugs (mind you in the mist of a migraine there is not much you can do)
With the 10 day one it turned out I had a chill that got into my back

Aaron and Ayden have both learnt that if I'm that sick just to let me go to bed and not to come near me.

Have you been told your triggers?

bonnyh
Mrs BOOny P.
Mrs BOOny P.

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:44 am

russa1 wrote:
mandamoo wrote:
russa1 wrote:

Ok, I'll look into that :D

When I had my 10 day one nothing was sore went and got a message and was in there for 2 hours fixing the problem

*Riss*
Happiness Forever
Happiness Forever
Topic Author

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:53 am

That's horrible Bonny. I feel your pain, they make me sick too. I am not sure about triggers but looked up trigger foods and a few of them I had eaten last week and I was in the sugar pill of my pill (if that makes sense!) so it could also be hormone related. I will speak to the doctor this afternoon, hopefully he will know more. Being on the train or in the car definently makes it worse, that's why it's bad in the mornings when I get into work. They say movement can aggrevate it. It doesnt help being in a new job where you can't take time off.

Thena85
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:31 pm

I suffer migraines too. My main trigger is heat vs cold. If I step outside into a really hot day after being inside in air con I very regulary with develop the dreaded migraine. My migraines don't just hit me though - mine are progressive. They can start at midday (and I can tell straight away if it's going to lead to a migraine) and progress until possibly at 5/6ish pm I am curled up in a ball on the couch or in bed. I don't vomit (but I feel like I could!) - however I am extremely sensitive to light. And there is NO WAY I could drive or even walk properly in a straight line. I was becoming immune to mersyndol (night strength) but because I couldn't take them for 9 months whilst pregnant my resistance levels must have dropped because they now work better on me (but make me drop off to sleep almost immediately). Having 2 young children makes it really tough when daddy's at work and regardless of the migraine I have - I'm still the mum :( Those afternoons are soooooo HARD!

FH is not a migraine sufferer and because he doesn't understand the intensity of them (he honestly just thinks they are like normal headaches) he often tells me to "suck it up". :x Yes - that makes me quite mad.

Niki24
Chicken
Chicken

Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:42 pm

Hmm I pretty much have a constant headache, and I agree with the, mersyndol/dolased, dark room, no noise, and try to sleep it off. I know it doesn't always work though.

feb2011wedding
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:23 pm

I get them FAR too often too girls, and find for me the best way to nip them in the bud is to take Panadiene extra at the first sign (which for me is blurry vision). It's not as strong as some of the others that knock you out (so you have to be near a bed to take them) so I found it often meant I was able to keep on working afterwards (after a brief nap under a table somewhere!)
I actually haven't had one in a few months now as after getting 3 per week for about a month earlier this year I went to a neuro-opthalmologist who put me on inderal, which is a preventative medicine (beta blocker) I take daily with breakfast and dinner, it's saved my life! I used to put my migraines down to my neck being out (which happens a lot) and was seeing an osteo or chiro weekly for about 3 years, but have now found since I've been on inderal that my neck doesn't seem to get 'out' as often and not as painful when it is out.... so I haven't needed to see the osteo for about 2 months now.. record for me!
See your doctors girls... see what else they can do for you... it will save you a fortune in osteo/ chiro bills (at least it has for me).

Allicat9
Lost the Golden Garter
Lost the Golden Garter

Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:29 pm

My migranes come the second day of AF every month - along with the debilitating pain of cramps. Its part of a monthly routine now unfortunately.

All I can do it go to bed and try and sleep through it, it's awful when I'm at work or if it happens to hit when I am out.
One time I was seeing a movie at Southland with my BM's (27 Dresses) and it hit - the most excrutiating pain... I got through the movie by keeping my eyes shut and trying not to throw up, but when it finished we had to walk back through the shopping centre to the car.
I could barely walk and had my BM's holding me up, apparently I was the palest shade of white they had ever seen. A few people asked them if they should call an Ambulance for me. We got back to the car and I spent the next 2hrs in the feotal position on my BM's couch and slept it off. My BM's told me later that they have never been so scared.

One thing that my doc gave me back in high school was Cafergot (can't remember if thats the correct spelling) and that helped with the migrane side of things if I took it in advance.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.57