A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

bonnyh
Mrs BOOny P.
Mrs BOOny P.

Re: Migraines...

Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:56 pm

Thena85 wrote:
I suffer migraines too. My main trigger is heat vs cold. If I step outside into a really hot day after being inside in air con I very regulary with develop the dreaded migraine. My migraines don't just hit me though - mine are progressive. They can start at midday (and I can tell straight away if it's going to lead to a migraine) and progress until possibly at 5/6ish pm I am curled up in a ball on the couch or in bed. I don't vomit (but I feel like I could!) - however I am extremely sensitive to light. And there is NO WAY I could drive or even walk properly in a straight line. I was becoming immune to mersyndol (night strength) but because I couldn't take them for 9 months whilst pregnant my resistance levels must have dropped because they now work better on me (but make me drop off to sleep almost immediately). Having 2 young children makes it really tough when daddy's at work and regardless of the migraine I have - I'm still the mum :( Those afternoons are soooooo HARD!

FH is not a migraine sufferer and because he doesn't understand the intensity of them (he honestly just thinks they are like normal headaches) he often tells me to "suck it up". :x Yes - that makes me quite mad.

I get those aswell,
I'm lucky when I first got together with Dh he had no idea and thought I couldn't handle pain, but after seeing me get them he finally understood,
and he goes my friends who said they suffer migraines are lying.
But I think I've given my dreaded migraines to Ayden :(

ldr10
♥ Mrs R. ♥
♥ Mrs R. ♥

Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:21 pm

I'm a chronic headache sufferer for the past 6 years or so, (not migraines that i know of, but headaches on varying levels). At first i got my eyes checked & glasses helped for a little while, now i get (well not recently cos i've been lazy) regular massages and also going to the osteo as a preventative, as it was discovered i have a twisted rib cage/back & that is putting pressure on my neck / head. I've found this has worked wonders, my massage therapist also showed me what to do (get Fh to do!) when i have a really bad headache which eases the pain.

spacevoyager
Anti-Bridezilla
Anti-Bridezilla

Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:48 pm

According to my GP, I get hormonal migraine. Although, I'm not convinced that it's migraine, rather a debilitating headache and it will last for about 3 days and feels like I'm being stabbed in the eye with an ice pick - disturbs my vision and is not good for driving. I have managed to ease them a little by changing my contraceptive pill.

Preventative migraine medication doesn't work for me, but in the past I've had meds for nausea, which slow digestion....and so when taken with Panadol or Nurofen more of the pain killer is absorbed, and so is more effective. Mostly I just knock myself out with a couple of Mersyndol and try to sleep it away.

Getting your eyes checked is a biggy though........I've recently got glasses and although I only wear them at work, I'm sure they are contributing to my reduced amount of headache.

rosella
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:16 pm

My sister suffers chronic migraines. Nothing seems to fix them. She has been taking massive doses of Mersondyl for years, like triple the recommended daily dose. I wonder if her Mersondyl consumption is part of the problem, like she might be hooked on the codeine and its having an adverse affect now.

Hers are caused by sinus problems I think, after her nose was broken years ago. Stress doesnt help.

hazzbang
~ Bargain Bride ~
~ Bargain Bride ~

Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:19 pm

feb2011wedding wrote:
I went to a neuro-opthalmologist who put me on inderal, which is a preventative medicine (beta blocker) I take daily with breakfast and dinner, it's saved my life!

I got put on Inderal when I was 11 yrs old and my migraines decreased a lot... :e_clap:

rosella
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:28 pm

hazzbang wrote:
feb2011wedding wrote:
I went to a neuro-opthalmologist who put me on inderal, which is a preventative medicine (beta blocker) I take daily with breakfast and dinner, it's saved my life!

I got put on Inderal when I was 11 yrs old and my migraines decreased a lot... :e_clap:

My sis took another beta blocker, Propranalol, but it didnt help her much. :( Im glad it helps some though.

mel_84
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:23 pm

I have had them for years and they seem to run in the family too. However, when I went to get my pill script with a new doc a few months back she asked if I had migraines, and after finding out all of the drama I have had with them she put me on the mini pill. It has made a HUGE difference, and I have only had one since. :D Even my daily headaches are much better.

When I do get them though, I make the STRONGEST 8O cup of coffee I can get- as soon as I feel one coming on (usually a strong iced coffee to get it down fast, coke if I'm desperate) as caffine apparently thins your blood a little and eases the 'thumping' feeling. (I could totally be wrong about blood thinning :lol: - but whatever it is, it works a treat for me!) drop a few mercyndols (sp?) and go to bed and wait for the "light show" to finish and wake up the next day feeling like I spent the night before drinking :? . But the pain is much less than when I just take the tablets.

SpecialKK
♥ Love being Mrs B ♥
♥ Love being Mrs B ♥

Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:45 pm

bonnyh wrote:
For me when I get them,

After I've thrown up xxx amount of times I then have a warm shower and sit in on the bottom with the water hitting the back of my neck crying (which makes the pain worse), I then stumble into bed most of the time not even bothering to dry my hair or get dressed,then I lie in a dark room, but noone can talk, come into or turn the light on because that makes me vomit
then the next day I have a "hang over" feeling,
My dr said if it last more then 3 days you are meant to get it checked out, my longest was 10 days went to the hospital and all they did was give me drugs (mind you in the mist of a migraine there is not much you can do)
With the 10 day one it turned out I had a chill that got into my back

Aaron and Ayden have both learnt that if I'm that sick just to let me go to bed and not to come near me.

Have you been told your triggers?

That is exactly the same as when i get migraines. Thankfully I dont get them so much anymore. Even after all these years i still cant figure out what triggers them though and the ones i get these days often start as a headache (usually due to too much sun exposure or tension/stress) and progress into the migraine=throwing up=crying=feeling like im going to die.
I used to get them so bad when i was little that my parents would take me to the emergency room, but by the time they got me there (we lived far from hospitals) it had always resided. I even used to have visual hallucinations because the pain was so bad. I can still remember what the hallucinations were like. Awful awful stuff.
I would definately see your doctor if youve had such bad headache/migraine for a few days running.

chellebelle
♥ baby on board! ♥
♥ baby on board! ♥

Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:06 pm

I get headaches a lot and migraines every now and then. When I get migraines I literally cannot move, I can't open my eyes, I can't speak and I generally throw up a few times. My longest migraine was about 4 days. I usually take a crap load of Mersyndol 8O It's bad how much I take, but the only thing that helps is sleep, and the only way I can sleep is to be literally knocked out because the pain is too bad to get to sleep on my own. I've been given Inderal by my GP but lost my script and haven't been back to the doctor since I lost it :oops:
I've had a brain scan done and it was all good.
Last time I had a migraine I tried Aspro Clear (a pharmacist recommended trying it). It worked surprisingly well. I took 2 in a bit of water and it kicked in really quickly and somehow eased the nausea, and then I was able to take some Mersyndol and go to sleep. I was fine the next morning when I woke up (which is unusual for me - I always have remnants of head pain for a few days after a migraine). Maybe that's worth a try?
One thing I definitely advise against is acupuncture! I used to get acupuncture all the time for shoulder pain, stress and general well being and it was awesome. I went into the doctor one day on day 4 of a killer migraine and he suggested giving acupuncture a try for it. He attached these little electric pulse thingers to it so that tiny little shocks went into my head/neck muscles and my head was jerking. He monitored me closely because it works well for some people, not so well for others. Unfortunately I was one of the people it didn't work for. I was unable to move for a really long time because of the head pain and had to lay down in the doctor's office til I was able to be driven home. It's the worst thing I've ever done.

spacevoyager
Anti-Bridezilla
Anti-Bridezilla

Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:10 pm

rosella wrote:
My sister suffers chronic migraines. Nothing seems to fix them. She has been taking massive doses of Mersondyl for years, like triple the recommended daily dose. I wonder if her Mersondyl consumption is part of the problem, like she might be hooked on the codeine and its having an adverse affect now.

Hers are caused by sinus problems I think, after her nose was broken years ago. Stress doesnt help.

From what I've been told, Mersyndol is not addictive. But what happens is that if you use it too often your body gets used to it, and so you need to increase the dose to gain the same pain releif that you might have felt with only one or two tablets previously.

rosella
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:34 pm

spacevoyager wrote:
rosella wrote:

From what I've been told, Mersyndol is not addictive. But what happens is that if you use it too often your body gets used to it, and so you need to increase the dose to gain the same pain releif that you might have felt with only one or two tablets previously.

Is there not Codeine in Mersyndol? Codeine is very addictive.

spacevoyager
Anti-Bridezilla
Anti-Bridezilla

Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:41 pm

Hmm....interesting....thanks for making me check Rosella.

Yes, it does contain codeine and the advice on the manufacturers website says that codeine should not be given for prolonged periods because it can be habit forming. Maybe that's what the pharmacist was meaning? They said that it's not addictive you can become dependant on ever increasing doses.

For those wanting to know the benefits and warnings of Mersyndol, check out

http://www.sanofi-aventis.com.au/produc ... dolTab.pdf

rosella
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:40 pm

spacevoyager wrote:
Hmm....interesting....thanks for making me check Rosella.

Yes, it does contain codeine and the advice on the manufacturers website says that codeine should not be given for prolonged periods because it can be habit forming. Maybe that's what the pharmacist was meaning? They said that it's not addictive you can become dependant on ever increasing doses.

For those wanting to know the benefits and warnings of Mersyndol, check out

http://www.sanofi-aventis.com.au/produc ... dolTab.pdf

Probably, I have taken Panadeine Forte and other drugs containing codeine and not become addicted because Ive taken them short-term. And yep, after a few doses, my tolerance increased. I imagine in my sister's case, as she has taken the Mersyndol for many years, she does have an addiction to Codeine, without really realising it. And I wonder if some of her migraines are withdrawal symtoms.

smitten kitten
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:28 pm

Mel 84, I agree with the coffee thing, works for me, but only in the beginning. Its good to have an option of you're out and about and don't have any pain relief!

I suffer from them mostly when I've been really busy/stressed and then relax, sometimes hormone induced (beginning of the period), if I drink too much or workout too hard (dehydration induced). My FH thinks the one from drinking is a hangover...so no sympathy there. I don't have food triggers, whereas some people (my aunty) get them from having one piece of chocolate. I have had them since i was 16, my sister gets them and my mum gets them.

If I can't catch it come on (usually i know because I subconsciously pinch one of my eyebrows to dull the pain), I am very sick (leaning over the toilet and usually willing myself to die as my head feels like it will explode), sleep, dark room, quiet, wet flannel on forehead. I'm dazed and confused for a least a day afterwards.

I used to get more when I was on the pill, but stopped...only every 3 months now. *touch wood*

I used to be on a medication (migril) years ago, but now have voltaren suppositories which really help. As i have such an upset stomach with them, its pointless taking anything orally.

I think people have varying types of migraines and symptoms. Mine aren't as severe as my Mum's (she's in bed for days), but less so than my friends, who only gets the flashing lights and looks drunk, but no throbbing head.

I feel for anyone that has ever had one, even a minor one, its just awful and very taxing on your body.

Niki24
Chicken
Chicken

Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:41 pm

rosella wrote:
spacevoyager wrote:
Probably, I have taken Panadeine Forte and other drugs containing codeine and not become addicted because Ive taken them short-term. And yep, after a few doses, my tolerance increased. I imagine in my sister's case, as she has taken the Mersyndol for many years, she does have an addiction to Codeine, without really realising it. And I wonder if some of her migraines are withdrawal symtoms.

Dr's have said that if you take too many painkillers, the headache you get afterwards is withdrawals. So I'd probably tell your sister that she most likely does have a codeine addiction, and too maybe try to reduce the amount of mersyndol she takes. I'm saying this because my mum also takes at least 6 mersyndol or similar every single day, and started taking only the recommended dose, then her tolerance increased. If she doesn't have them, she gets killer migraines. I don't get migraines like everyone else does, but I do have a constant headache, and my mum and little brother get really bad migraines. FMIL and FBIL also get migraines alot, so I'm thinking, like other girls have said, it must run in the family..

rosella
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:20 pm

Niki24 wrote:
rosella wrote:
spacevoyager wrote:

Dr's have said that if you take too many painkillers, the headache you get afterwards is withdrawals. So I'd probably tell your sister that she most likely does have a codeine addiction, and too maybe try to reduce the amount of mersyndol she takes. I'm saying this because my mum also takes at least 6 mersyndol or similar every single day, and started taking only the recommended dose, then her tolerance increased. If she doesn't have them, she gets killer migraines. I don't get migraines like everyone else does, but I do have a constant headache, and my mum and little brother get really bad migraines. FMIL and FBIL also get migraines alot, so I'm thinking, like other girls have said, it must run in the family..

Knowing my sister, if I suggested she had a codeine addiction, we would end up having a huge fight, but I have expressed concern to her in the past about the amount she takes and the effect it has on her body. She has tried to cut down, and for a while she did. In her case though, her migraines are a result of sinus trouble following a broken nose. Not sure if migraine suseptibility is hereditary or not cos they seem to be soooooooo common.

*Riss*
Happiness Forever
Happiness Forever
Topic Author

Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:05 am

Thanks for all support girls, I can thankfully say that the migraine appears to have left finally...I have to take the medication still (for a week, even though I am feeling better) which makes me really tired but I'm so glad it's gone.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.41