A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Julez
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Reducing a gummy smile, have you had this done?

Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:32 am

Hey Everyone!!

So, I've always had a very "gummy" smile and I know there is a dental procedure where you can get your gums contoured - I'm not sure what this is called - but I think they laser (cut) your gums to expose more of your teeth to reduce your gummy smile. My othordontist recommend I get this done when I got my braces off years ago, but after going through 2 years of teeth pain, I wasnt keen then! However, now I wish now that I had done it.

Has anyone had this done that could tell me what the procedure is like and if its very painful?? And is it very expensive?

Jessie`Elizabeth

Re: Reducing a gummy smile, have you had this done?

Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:06 pm

My mum had a 'gum lift' about 6 or so years ago.

She was a practice manager for a dental surgery, so she got it done for free :P Lucky her.

Dont want to scare you, but she said it was the most painful and horriffic thing she has ever had to go through.

Not sure if the practice has changed since she got it done, but she had to have black stitches in for at least a week, so she had to take that time off work!

However, with saying that.. she would go back to have it done a millions times over for the fantastic results she got!

She tells anyone that will listen about how the pain was worth it! Her teeth look fantastic!

Just make sure that you have someone with you that can look after you for the first few days :) and stockpile soup and pain killers!

I was thinking about getting it done, stupid genetics passed the small gummy teeth down >:/ but someone told me its close to 5k+ to get it done now!

Julez
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:25 pm

Jessie`Elizabeth wrote:
My mum had a 'gum lift' about 6 or so years ago.

She was a practice manager for a dental surgery, so she got it done for free :P Lucky her.

Dont want to scare you, but she said it was the most painful and horriffic thing she has ever had to go through.

Not sure if the practice has changed since she got it done, but she had to have black stitches in for at least a week, so she had to take that time off work!

However, with saying that.. she would go back to have it done a millions times over for the fantastic results she got!

She tells anyone that will listen about how the pain was worth it! Her teeth look fantastic!

Just make sure that you have someone with you that can look after you for the first few days :) and stockpile soup and pain killers!

I was thinking about getting it done, stupid genetics passed the small gummy teeth down >:/ but someone told me its close to 5k+ to get it done now!

I've googled it a bit, and it seems you can get it done by a laser which means you dont have to have stitches.....maybe they have improved the method since your mum got it done? I am a bit scared of the pain so its good to hear that despite the pain, she would get it done again. I guess I'll have to talk to my dentist about it, but its good to hear stories from those who have got it done!! Ta!

jetsetterjess
Jess the Best
Jess the Best

Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:35 pm

I've thought about getting this done but don't have the $ to do it right now, but I have a few things I want to do to my teeth so would probably do it all then. The only thing that concerns me is that gums can recede over time, I know my mum had short teeth/more gums when younger and now in her 50's she doesn't have as much.
I had braces as a teenager and my teeth have shifted so the front ones aren't flush anymore but it's not that noticeable to other people. If I had the $ I'd get them straightened (braces/plate), whitened, gums lasered or get porcelain veneers

Julez
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:41 pm

jetsetterjess wrote:
I've thought about getting this done but don't have the $ to do it right now, but I have a few things I want to do to my teeth so would probably do it all then. The only thing that concerns me is that gums can recede over time, I know my mum had short teeth/more gums when younger and now in her 50's she doesn't have as much.
I had braces as a teenager and my teeth have shifted so the front ones aren't flush anymore but it's not that noticeable to other people. If I had the $ I'd get them straightened (braces/plate), whitened, gums lasered or get porcelain veneers

Do you know how much it costs? I havent looked that far into it yet.

erin993
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:36 pm

I had a huge accident and lost a lot of my teeth, had denture for ages, finally dental implant preparation, then bone and gum grafts. I have the oppisite in that because I was missing teeth I have lost gum that I cannot get back - I can tell you that the operations I had on the gum areas were painful, but the confidence boost that good teeth (my teeth were perfect pre-accident and have had many tears self confidence issues since) that it might be worthwhile so long as you have a good dentist that see's it as beneficial and being a successful procedure for you. Good luck - but go easy on yourself and give yourself some time off work to heal!

SmallNads
What You Talking 'Bout Willis?
What You Talking     'Bout Willis?

Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:52 pm

A little bit of Botox can fix a gummy smile. I see it done all the time.

greensmonster
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:18 pm

I had the opposite problem too - lost a lot of gum due to recession - and had a graft last year. They cut a rectangle of skin from the roof of your mouth, scrape back the gum where the graft is going, and stitch it on.

In terms of pain... I was fairly determined not to use painkillers as I am not really into western medicine, so I opted to disregard the advice to load up on painkillers before the op. and was going to wait and see if I needed them. I was in a lot of pain the first day after the local anaesthetic wore off - just lay on the couch. But the next day was heaps better and by day 3 was pretty much pain free unless I drank something too hot. I didn't end up taking any painkillers. Not meaning to brag... just wanted to put it out there. Different people have different abilities to tolerate pain. Don't be afraid of it. It is a defense mechanism designed to help the body heal.

All the best with your decision and the procedure if you decide to have it done

erin993
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:26 pm

greensmonster wrote:
I had the opposite problem too - lost a lot of gum due to recession - and had a graft last year. They cut a rectangle of skin from the roof of your mouth, scrape back the gum where the graft is going, and stitch it on.

In terms of pain... I was fairly determined not to use painkillers as I am not really into western medicine, so I opted to disregard the advice to load up on painkillers before the op. and was going to wait and see if I needed them. I was in a lot of pain the first day after the local anaesthetic wore off - just lay on the couch. But the next day was heaps better and by day 3 was pretty much pain free unless I drank something too hot. I didn't end up taking any painkillers. Not meaning to brag... just wanted to put it out there. Different people have different abilities to tolerate pain. Don't be afraid of it. It is a defense mechanism designed to help the body heal.

All the best with your decision and the procedure if you decide to have it done

Did your grafts last? How long ago did you have them done? How much recession did you have?

Because of the loss of teeth I had both gum AND bone recession - had one of the best implant surgeons do my implants and the word from my dental GP - maxowhataver surgeon and the implan surgeon was what i have is as good as it gets. They think it's great - i still cry everytime I go in - I want my old teeth back.. (was it by a drink driver with head injuries - hence the facial and dental trauma)

Interested to hear more about your experience with the grafts!

greensmonster
I need a title
I need a title

Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:49 am

erin993 wrote:
Did your grafts last? How long ago did you have them done? How much recession did you have?

Had it done about two yeasr ago, before I got braces, on the bottom front teeth only. When they first got done, they looked amazing, now they almost look like they did before, except the gum seems thicker and there is less 'pocketing'. Can't remember the technical amount of recession I had. I have very thin tissue that is prone to recession, and a very fine lower jaw bone which also makes me prone to bone recession. Sorry - can't help with 'how much' Might try to take a pic later and post it - ewww!! So you can see. Luckily I have long roots. I would have it done again if it was suggested. Would much rather keep my own teeth if at all possible. In fact, I am looking at jaw surgery to properly correct my bite which will reduce wear on my teeth. It will also hopefully reduce the pressure on my gums (from crowding and also from difficulty brushing properly) and further recession.

AliBaby
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:41 am

SmallNads wrote:
A little bit of Botox can fix a gummy smile. I see it done all the time.

Hey SmallNads,

I had 2 injections of botox either side of my lower nostril today to see if this helps reduce my gummy smile. I will have to post some photos of before and after to see if it works but fingers crossed.

it was a quick 15 minutes total in and out the door and only cost $100 which included the consult fee. It was also rather painless.

Just wanted to say thanks for the suggestion as I didnt know you could have this done before reading your advise in this thread.

SmallNads
What You Talking 'Bout Willis?
What You Talking     'Bout Willis?

Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:06 pm

No worries AliBaby, glad to be of assistance :D

Remember it can take up to 2 weeks until you see the full effect, and results last on average 3-4 months. Sometimes not as long depending on your metabolism and other factors. Gee, you can't half tell I work at a cosmetic medical clinic :lol:

Yolanda
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:56 pm

Hello!
I had my gums layered after having my braces removed last year.
They put numbing jel then a local so you don't feel a thing . The laser is like a pen they just draw around the bits you don't need. It doesn't hurt at all just smells like bacon lol!!
Afterwards looks yuck like dark brown and when you brush you need to be gentle or it bleeds. It took only about 5-7 days to heal. I had two teeth done originally and went back for two more on another occasion as I wasn't happy. Was $150 fir the 2 teeth. Medibank reimbursed it too so that was good.
I highly reccomend it to anyone it definitely improved my smile!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.3