A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

peony
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Peony's laser eye surgery experience!

Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:43 pm

Hi girls,
While I'm bored stupid here at home, I thought I'd take the time to write about my recent laser eye surgery in case anyone was interested in doing it. My near vision is still extremely blurry so forgive any typos :)

To start with, I should mention that I have had the ASL/PRK procedure done as opposed to Lasik.
I originally went in for my consultation expecting to have the Lasik treatment but due to weird shaped eyeballs or whatever I was unsuitable :P

So the pros and cons of each for those that have the choice:
Lasik: The procedure itself is slightly more uncomfortable than PRK. The machine suctions your eyeballs forward till they black out, they cut the flap, laser does its thing, flap goes back and hey presto! In a day or two, perfect vision. The speedy recovery is the main draw card of this method.. the only con is the potential to dislodge the flap even years later from a blow to the head (although that may not be likely for many people)

PRK: The procedure was totally painless but it's well known that the recovery phase is much more difficult. Many people experience a great deal of pain in the form of burning/stinging eyes.. and vision may not stabilise for a while. Personally I can see most objects already, but my up close vision is very poor (this is only day 4 though). Reaching optimal vision may take anywhere from 1-3 months, sometimes more. So it's not really a popular choice!

Anyway, I have been super lucky.. I've never had a problem with dry eyes so I have not experienced any of the pain or grittiness I was told to expect. It's just such an odd feeling not being able to read things that are right up to my face, haha
Tomorrow I get the bandage contacts out.. I can't wait to see if that improves the blurriness.

So far I wouldn't hesitate to recommend doing it. I can already tell my vision is much improved! Before this I couldn't see the time on the digital clock half a metre away from me, but now.... it's a whole new world! :)

adrienne
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: Peony's laser eye surgery experience!

Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:57 pm

Hope it heals soon! Hope its not too painful.
Sure you'll find something to do for a few days at home! Let me know if you wanted any other templates too :P Wish i could spend this week at home.....sooooo not looking fowards to work tomorrow :roll:

Miss_ngu
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:43 am

I'm glad it's working well for you. My FH he has dried eyes so it's not recommended for him. On the other side, cant wait to see you in the make up trial and dress without glasses.

peony
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:04 pm

Thanks for the well wishes girls.. I've had the bandage contacts out now, but they put this greasy ointment in my eyes.. it's like looking through a film of Vaseline. I should be soaking up this time bludging away at home but it is very frustrating not being able to see properly lol.. I just hope I am typing the right thing :P

I looked into contact lenses myself but I've been told I have weird shaped corneas or something so contacts could be quite uncomfortable. Oh well, I don't regret it! :) I'm a very happy girl so far! I could read all the lines on the eye chart!! :D

bronzestar
I survived and got married

Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:51 pm

It's a brave decision you made to go with eye surgery, not sure I could make it myself!

I'm following with interest, just in case the results are so amazing that you convince me it's worth it :D

peony
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:14 pm

bronzestar wrote:
It's a brave decision you made to go with eye surgery, not sure I could make it myself!

I'm following with interest, just in case the results are so amazing that you convince me it's worth it :D

Hehehe! I'm sure it will be worth it in the end (I'm on Day 6 now).. Right now my vision fluctuates a lot because the bandage contacts are out, but I can still do the day to day things just fine. I'm even allowed to drive whenever I feel up to it.
It wasn't an easy decision to make because I'd heard alot of people who had it done had regressed a lot, but I figured hey, noone's gone blind, what's really the worst that could happen?
The most likely bad thing to happen would be to regress back to my old eyesight.. so then I'd just wear glasses again - which considering I've been wearing them for years isn't such a big deal! :lol:
It will be so nice to go swimming and not worry about whether a wave will wash my contacts out or if a hot soup will fog up my glasses :D

bronzestar

Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:06 pm

Lawwa wrote:
I am back to glasses now though since having my Son as the fluid retention in pregnancy put pressure on my eyeballs and changed them again. Once we have finished having our family, I will be getting them done again (providing I am still suitable).

Oh no! what a PITA 8O Do they warn you that this is a possibility?

peony
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:51 pm

bronzestar wrote:
Lawwa wrote:
I am back to glasses now though since having my Son as the fluid retention in pregnancy put pressure on my eyeballs and changed them again. Once we have finished having our family, I will be getting them done again (providing I am still suitable).

Oh no! what a PITA 8O Do they warn you that this is a possibility?

I had no idea this was even possible either Lawwa! Which type of procedure did you have done? I'm glad you still think it was worth it though! :)
GZIP: On | Load: 0.33