A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

CharlieB
Mrs Edward Cullen
Mrs Edward Cullen
Topic Author

Curves gym??

Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:27 pm

Im currently a member of fernwood, have been for afew years but in the last 3 months I havn't been to the gym, im getting abit bored of it.
I was thinking of visiting curves to see what it's all about, is anyone here a member? I was hoping to get an idea of prices to?

Fernwood is costing me $42 a fortnight, im thinking I can probably get a membership at another gym thats cheaper, and with the cost of everything going up, saving where possible isn't such a bad idea.

Pandora's Box
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: Curves gym??

Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:40 pm

I am a member. I love it and I try to go five days a week and definitley no less than three! I think it costs around $40 a month plus a join up fee. It's so inexpensive!

CharlieB
Mrs Edward Cullen
Mrs Edward Cullen
Topic Author

Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:43 pm

I have afair bit of weight to lose, have you seen any big girls there who are successfully losing weight? And what sort of circuit do they have? Is it mainly weights?

Pandora's Box
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:47 pm

It'a actually cardio and weights all at once. You use a jogging mat and then there are machines between each mat. You use each for 30 seconds for a total of 30 minutes. A lady that started around the same time as me (around feb) told me she has now lost 18kilos!! So yeah, it works. Remember muscles help to burn kilojoules even when you aren't excercising which is why it's so important to do weights as part of a weight loss plan :D

CharlieB
Mrs Edward Cullen
Mrs Edward Cullen
Topic Author

Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:51 pm

Thanks for that, I'll def go check them out this weekend, I think it's what I'm after, variety without having to spend hours at the gym.

LiLLeanneG
is now LeanneR
is now LeanneR

Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:08 pm

Im a member $59 a month. I loved it for first 3-4 months but now im bored and havent been ina week or so... been using my wii fit instead... prob going to cancel membership. I think the staff really make the place as when i was a member in WA i went heaps... im bored with my curves gym and the concept. But it really is a good gym though i didnt loose any kilos

nikeedee
Queen of the Desert
Queen of the Desert

Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:26 pm

Any form of exercise can get repetive and boring, the key is finding something you enjoy. Until I buggered my neck I used to swim 50 laps of a 50m pool a day. Yep, boring for some but I totally loved it. And I was SUPER fit !! As YMS said some people get bored with Curves and as it is a fixed circuit, I can see why. But as I see results and because I feel so good after my Curves workout, and becasue I always have a chat and a laugh with the other girls there, I dont get bored with it.

Without being overly fussy with my diet, (but not pigging out) Ive dropped 2 dress sizes since February. Ive only lost 10kg but cm are more important the kg.

As for $ I paid $130 to join and $59 a month there after, but watch out for specials, they have special joining rates all the time.

BuffedBride
Mrs Muscles
Mrs Muscles

Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:13 pm

nikeedee wrote:
Any form of exercise can get repetive and boring, the key is finding something you enjoy.

Totally agree. And sometimes it's just the motivation of all those happy smiling faces in the gym (be it Curves, Fitness First or wherever) that keeps you going back, not neccessarily how fancy the equipment is or how hard & fast you work out. I would imagine, however, that Fernwood would have more variety in the gym than Curves. Do Fernwood offer any additional services to get you interested again? Like bootcamp, boxing classes, running classes etc? Even some one on one PT sessions might do the trick.

possum86
Vintage Beauty
Vintage Beauty

Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:19 am

CharlieB wrote:
I have afair bit of weight to lose, have you seen any big girls there who are successfully losing weight? And what sort of circuit do they have? Is it mainly weights?

Pandora's Box wrote:
It'a actually cardio and weights all at once. You use a jogging mat and then there are machines between each mat. You use each for 30 seconds for a total of 30 minutes. A lady that started around the same time as me (around feb) told me she has now lost 18kilos!! So yeah, it works. Remember muscles help to burn kilojoules even when you aren't excercising which is why it's so important to do weights as part of a weight loss plan :D

Just dont forget that loosing weight is only 30% exersise the other 70% unfortunately is what you eat.. Which it a bummer.. :) Im a florist and my boss has just became the proud owner of 2 curves gyms in geelong. She has been going there for a a year or 2 i think and she has lost alot of weight but she eats super healthy.

nikeedee
Queen of the Desert
Queen of the Desert

Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:33 am

Its really about calories in and calories out. Want to lose weight then you need to burn more than you consume. Want to maintain your weight you want to burn the same amount that you eat.

Josky
Mr & Mrs Smith
Mr & Mrs Smith

Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:18 am

Not that I am losing weight for my wedding.... been there.

I am really enjoying it at the moment. I had a week for free to see if I liked it.

I joined last night to lose the post wedding buldge! I joined for $30 sign up and $59 a month.

KateM
It's between Me and Steve McQueen
It's between Me and Steve McQueen

Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:49 am

OMG - you girls actually PAY the joining fee?

NEVER pay the joining fee- its always negotiable and they always (in my experience) waive the fee entirely. Especially if you hint you won't be intrested in joining if they don't.

Personally I prefer a gym where you've got a choice in what to do otherwise I'd get bored.

Approach the Curves you're interested in joining and explain your reservations and see if they have a 10 visit pass or something to buy first to see if you like it before joining.

Josky
Mr & Mrs Smith
Mr & Mrs Smith

Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:01 am

The $30 joining fee was reduced from $169 so i was happy with that.

I had a free week there thru Gymlink. They do all curves gyms.

LiLLeanneG
is now LeanneR
is now LeanneR

Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:11 pm

I joined my donating a bag of food to their food drive... ill probably cancel my membership next month.... i cant be bothered with it no more... specially when i find wii fit more interesting and can do it in my PJs hahha
GZIP: On | Load: 0.51