A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

sparkee
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author

Fluid retention

Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:29 pm

Ok so I have been getting stuck into the diet soft drinks lately and now feel terrible.....with under 2 weeks until our wedding I am feeling huge. My legs feel like tree stumps! If I drink nothing but water from now until the wedding do you think I can get rid of this terrible feeling?? Silly girl!!!!!!

BuffedBride
Mrs Muscles
Mrs Muscles

Re: Fluid retention

Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:48 pm

Absolutely. Water & tea are fine. Coffee is too as long as it's black. :D

sparkee
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author

Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:54 pm

ARGH - I was doing so well now I feel like the good year blimp! Is green tea a good diuretic BB?

Rach08

Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:56 pm

Get a universal contour body wrap from a beautician- works great. Rach

sparkee
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author

Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:29 pm

Would Blackmores Herbal diuertic help as well?

LiLLeanneG
is now LeanneR
is now LeanneR

Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:38 pm

Raw cabbage in salads, skin brushing, vibrogym and drinking 2+ litres of water will help with water rentention.

Otherwise try Natures Sunshine herbal diuretic - but these can make you constipated if taken for too long hehehe

BuffedBride
Mrs Muscles
Mrs Muscles

Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:14 pm

I don't think you need a duiretic sparkee!!! GIve it a week & you'll feel 100 x better! I'm not sure about green tea - I know black tea makes me run to the loo!!! :lol:

nikeedee
Queen of the Desert
Queen of the Desert

Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:58 am

Caffeine is a dieuretic. Green tea has no caffeine. Ural sachets you can get from the chemist will help with urinary retention. Go see your doc though.

sparkee
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author

Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:51 pm

Well I totally guzzled water last night and got on the scales this morning - 0.7kg less - wooo hooo so no more soft drink crap for me. That was a huge wake up call! I have been drinking water all day today but OMG - how many times can one go to the toilet!

BuffedBride
Mrs Muscles
Mrs Muscles

Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:11 pm

nikeedee wrote:
Green tea has no caffeine.

It does, but in smaller amounts than regular tea.

nikeedee
Queen of the Desert
Queen of the Desert

Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:02 pm

Ural is for urinary tract infections

Also urinary retention..

Merrin1
Waiting for May
Waiting for May

Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:52 pm

nikeedee wrote:
Caffeine is a dieuretic. Green tea has no caffeine.

Actually green tea does have caffeine - just not as much as black tea or coffee :D . It definitely has a diuretic effect.

nikeedee
Queen of the Desert
Queen of the Desert

Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:12 pm

Merrin1 wrote:
nikeedee wrote:
Caffeine is a dieuretic. Green tea has no caffeine.

Actually green tea does have caffeine - just not as much as black tea or coffee :D . It definitely has a diuretic effect.

I didnt know it has caffeine. I drink heaps of it and it doesnt have a diuretic effect on me. Hmmmm well I learned something new today !! :D

nic485
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:47 pm

:oops: Can someone explain this fluid retention to me and why drinking heaps of water helps you lose weight? Are you not eating? :oops:

AugustB2B
Bookworm Bride
Bookworm Bride

Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:02 pm

nic485 wrote:
:oops: Can someone explain this fluid retention to me and why drinking heaps of water helps you lose weight? Are you not eating? :oops:

Fluid retention can occur for a variety of reasons including hormones and eating too much salt. Drinking more water can, paradoxically, help to relieve fluid retention if excess salt is the problem as salt is excreted in urine. (If the fluid retention is caused by a more serious problem such as heart disease then drinking more will not help and one of the ways of managing it is actually fluid restriction.)

AugustB2B
Bookworm Bride
Bookworm Bride

Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:04 pm

nikeedee wrote:
Ural sachets you can get from the chemist will help with urinary retention.

I couldn't find anything in MIMS or the Australian Prescribers Handbook about Ural helping with either urinary retention or fluid retention. I'm pretty sure it is just a urinary alkaliniser.

sparkee
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author

Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:06 pm

I was on salt overload - water flushes it away.......thank goodness. What a terrible feeling!

nikeedee
Queen of the Desert
Queen of the Desert

Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:19 pm

AugustB2B wrote:
nikeedee wrote:

I couldn't find anything in MIMS or the Australian Prescribers Handbook about Ural helping with either urinary retention or fluid retention. I'm pretty sure it is just a urinary alkaliniser.

Well I wondered this too because we had a patient prescribed it recently who had urinary retention and no infection. In the MIMs it said just as you said...alkiniser.... so I checked with the the pharmacist who said some Drs prescribe it for urinary retention. Although in this patient's case it didnt work !! :lol:
We might be a little backwards out here in the boondocks

nikeedee
Queen of the Desert
Queen of the Desert

Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:04 am

..cos older people can be more susceptible to getting them and then can make whatever they are actually in hospital for worse.

Oh God I know... years ago when I worked with the oldies the ladies were always getting them. Inactivity and incontinence pads didnt help either. Hospitals are the worst places to pick up infections !!

AugustB2B
Bookworm Bride
Bookworm Bride

Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:35 am

nikeedee wrote:
AugustB2B wrote:
nikeedee wrote:

Well I wondered this too because we had a patient prescribed it recently who had urinary retention and no infection. In the MIMs it said just as you said...alkiniser.... so I checked with the the pharmacist who said some Drs prescribe it for urinary retention. Although in this patient's case it didnt work !! :lol:
We might be a little backwards out here in the boondocks

I've never seen it used like this but I guess, theoretically, if the patient wasn't urinating because it hurt then ural might help. I've never seen anyone able to overcome the urge to wee to the point of retention though :lol:
GZIP: On | Load: 0.2