A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Merrin1
Waiting for May
Waiting for May
Topic Author

Colposcopy **Updated Results**

Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:26 am

Six months ago I had a pap smear and the doctor noticed some bleeding that concerned her - the test came back normal but she told me to get another smear in six months. So I just went and my cervix bled easily again so I have been sent for a colposcopy. I have never had an abnormal smear. I'm really freaking out that something is really wrong - has anyone had anything similar happen?
Last edited by Merrin1 on Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrscampbell
Domestic Goddess
Domestic Goddess

Re: Colposcopy

Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:32 am

My best friend had one about a month ago now due to abnormal results. She doesn't have any family here so I went with her and was her next of kin. It took a few hours, she was knocked out and pretty drugged when she got up. She came out of the room and wanted fish and chips so I took her for lunch then she spent the afternoon matching DVDs. It wasn't til 2-3 days after that she was in pain and feeling very tired and sore. She's fine now, back to normal but still catching up on all the exercise she missed. The procedure itself was fine, she was asleep the whole time and doesn't remember any of it.

Merrin1
Waiting for May
Waiting for May
Topic Author

Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:42 am

Thanks Mrs Campbell. I hope everything was okay for her.

It doesn't sound like fun. I guess I'm confused because I didn't think bleeding during a smear was all that unusual and as I've never had any abnormalities I guess I thought everything was okay. I've never had any other symptoms either. Now I'm freaking out!

Autumn2010
Tiger Princess
Tiger Princess

Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:52 am

Merrin1 wrote:
It doesn't sound like fun. I guess I'm confused because I didn't think bleeding during a smear was all that unusual and as I've never had any abnormalities I guess I thought everything was okay. I've never had any other symptoms either. Now I'm freaking out!

Don't freak out yet! For all you know it could be nothing. Don't make yourself stress untill you know what it is!

mrscampbell
Domestic Goddess
Domestic Goddess

Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:54 am

Merrin1 wrote:
Thanks Mrs Campbell. I hope everything was okay for her.

Don't panic! My friend never had symptoms either which is why it's so important to have checks because you won't know something is wrong until it's too late. I'm sure you'll be fine, it's better to air on the side of caution. The procedure really didn't seem that bad, she was in and out fairly quick and said the pain after was mostly just a cramping/bruised feeling. Her doctor was lovely too, just ask loads of questions and give yourself a lollipop after :wink:

Mel0205
"Marriage of True Minds"
"Marriage of True Minds"

Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:56 am

Heavy bleeding after a papsmear can be a sign of vaginosis (usually caused by bacteria) or a friable cervix. A friable cervix (easily irritated) can be caused by the HPV virus (among other things - like chlamydia) and a colposcopy can help determine whether you are infected and if that's the cause of your tendencey to bleed.

However, a friable cervix is sometimes a symptom of cervical cancer and that is another reason that the Doc would want you to have a colposcopy. Given that you had normal cells on your papsmear 6 months ago (?) it's pretty unlikely but it's better to be on the safe side.

Merrin1
Waiting for May
Waiting for May
Topic Author

Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:01 pm

Thanks ladies. I know I shouldn't worry yet Autumn it's just really hard not to :)

Mel I don't have any bleeding after the smear at all - just a little blood when she scrapes the cells away - ie the speculum comes out with blood on it and then the first time I wee after there is a little blood. It definitely isn't heavy though.

Hopefully everything isokay - I get my smear results next week and have the colposcopy on the 12th so here's hoping :e_pray:

Mel0205
"Marriage of True Minds"
"Marriage of True Minds"

Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:05 pm

^^^ A LOT of women have a little bleeding after the cells are scraped away and we rarely send people for colposcopy just for that reason. I guess your Dr is just being cautious but I wouldn't be worried if the only thing they've found is that you bleed a tiny bit when the speculum scrapes your cervix.

Merrin1
Waiting for May
Waiting for May
Topic Author

Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:36 pm

Thanks Mel -here's hoping it's nothing. I have to say I was surprised because I don't bleed much and when she first looked in there before taking the sample she said my cervix looked healthy and next thing I'm going to have a fairly invasive test to see if Ihave cervical cancer or precancerous lesions!! It's all a bit frightening!

Emi
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:55 pm

Last edited by Emi on Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hlennon21
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:09 pm

No advice to give - sorry.

But... you have just reminded me I havent had a Pap test in 4 years 8O

Must book myself in...

Merrin1
Waiting for May
Waiting for May
Topic Author

Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:46 pm

Probably a good idea hlennon. Better safe than sorry hey - apparently it's one of the best tests in medical science! Good luck with it - it's never fun but hey - it's worth it.

SapphireSunset
2 hearts beating as one
2 hearts beating as one

Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:06 pm

I had to have a colposcopy back when i was 18 due to abnormal cells. Turns out I had the HPV CINII. Very glad I caught it before it got to CINIII as I have heard CINIII us cancerous. they lasered the HPV and apart from some scaring on my cervix eery pap smear that I had 6months thereafter came back clear and Im still clear today :D. dnt be alarmed better to be safe than sorry.

Mel0205
"Marriage of True Minds"
"Marriage of True Minds"

Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:19 pm

SapphireSunset wrote:
I have heard CINIII us cancerous.

Well it is more abnormal than CINII but still PRE-cancerous just like CINII.

Uptownerd
*now with extra zing
*now with extra zing

Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:16 pm

The silver lining Merrin is that you have a doctor who is alert and aware and not letting it slide!!!! Even if it's nothing to worry about, I'd rather be sent for tests than not.

Good luck :)

Merrin1
Waiting for May
Waiting for May
Topic Author

Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:26 pm

^^Good point Krystle ... but I'm still sh!tting myself :lol: :cry:

Merrin1
Waiting for May
Waiting for May
Topic Author

Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:34 pm

Just told FH and he's like "of course there's nothing wrong- you're fine- get a second opinion but you're fine" - end of discussion. I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry about that response. Men sometimes leave me wondering which way is up!

a winter bride
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:53 pm

like the other girls said try not to worry too much. I always find lumps and bumps and tend to freak myself out. I had an abnormal pap test a couple years ago but it turned out to be nothing when I went for the second one, but the thinking and stressing out is the worst part. Try keep your mind from racing and just get the tests done, your doctor sounds like she knows what she's doing. Come to think of it my mother had to get some lasered and although she looked uncomfortable when she got home (to say the least i would think) its so much better to get these things over and done with, for your health and peace of mind.

MrsBC2B
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:50 am

SapphireSunset wrote:
I had to have a colposcopy back when i was 18 due to abnormal cells. Turns out I had the HPV CINII. Very glad I caught it before it got to CINIII as I have heard CINIII us cancerous. they lasered the HPV and apart from some scaring on my cervix eery pap smear that I had 6months thereafter came back clear and Im still clear today :D. dnt be alarmed better to be safe than sorry.

I also had CINII. I had my HPV frozen with nitrogen gas (or something) but it was still there so they had to do it again. Now I'm waiting for my next checkup results to come back, so fingers crossed! Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine, and even if there is something that needs attention, better now than when it's major. :D

pink_nailss
"I love being in LOVE"
"I love being in LOVE"

Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:49 pm

Dont stress... it's not that bad!

I have HPV and have a bit of bleeding during pap smears. I was terrified before my first colposcopy as my pap smear came back with CIN3 and they had to take a closer look at the abnormal cells. It doesnt take very long and isnt painful!

Goodluck with it all!! xo
GZIP: On | Load: 0.05