A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Josky
Mr & Mrs Smith
Mr & Mrs Smith

Re: Colposcopy

Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:52 pm

I'm having one on tuesday so i will let you know :)

I have been having spotting for the best part of a few months and when i spot spotting once my cervix is touched it starts again.

My doc isn't too concerned just want to find out WTF....

Azusa
Let's Wock
Let's Wock

Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:12 pm

i saw this and just thought i will reply, dont worry, i know its hard to but colposcopy is really not that bad.

i had my first one about 4 years ago because my pap smear came back abnormal due to the HPV, since then, i practically have one colposcopy every 6 months for the next 4 years. everytime it came back abnormal but has not progress worse.

my last one was in july this year and my gyno decided that if the result comes back abnormal again then i will need to have them burnt off (lasered), once and for all.

anyway, results came back its all fine. and he said i dont need to go back to him and just keep my pap smear up.

its not a comfortable procedure (and everytime i had to have a biopsy taken except once), you might bleed a little afterwards, but your gyno should make sure that the bleeding subside before he take the spectrum out. just take it as a very long pap smear (mine usually take about 45 mins, lol, its not a good look)

no knocking out required for me, it shouldnt for colposcopy, but there are a couple of times i felt fainty afterwards and my gyno explained thats normal because the spectrum has been in for such a long time and the uterus normally contracts as a reaction and all your blood pumps there so i felt fainty...

just take it as a precautionary procedure, not neccessarily an alarm. :) good luck!

Merrin1
Waiting for May
Waiting for May
Topic Author

Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:33 pm

Thanks for all the replies girls - I'm a bit calmer about it this week - it's all just a bit scary! Josky I hope yours wasn't too traumatic!

Thanks again!

Josky
Mr & Mrs Smith
Mr & Mrs Smith

Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:38 pm

TBH... I was in a out within half and hour.

It is uncomfortable but nothing too scary.

Good luck for yours :)

Merrin1
Waiting for May
Waiting for May
Topic Author

Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:44 pm

Thanks hun - hopefully mine's as quick as yours - I'll post on the 12th - I actually reckon that's the worst about all these tests - the waiting!!!

kiwicolz
cant make up my mind
cant make up my mind

Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:31 am

i have had them every 6 months for about 8 yars.. because i kept moving.. and it doesnt take anywhere near 45mins for the actual procedure of the colposcopy, they are generally looking around doign there thing inside you for about 10 minis or so! not much longer any ways, if they decide you need a biopsy that can hurt a little, but its not always felt. good luck.

Merrin1
Waiting for May
Waiting for May
Topic Author

Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:52 pm

Okay so the last smear came back clear (as did the tests for gonorrhea and chlamydia that she took - though having never had unsafe sex I'm not sure how that could be possible - but hey at least she can cross it off the list :P ). So I have now had two negative smears in six months so hopefully that's a good thing!

So tomorrow it's off for the colposcopy! I'm a bit scared but I've decided I want to know one way or the other - at least then I've got nothing to look back on and regret - like I would if I left it and found out a few years down the track that I should have looked into it earlier.

Hopefully everything is fine *crosses fingers*

Tink08
Accidentally In Love
Accidentally In Love

Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:57 pm

Last edited by Tink08 on Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Merrin1
Waiting for May
Waiting for May
Topic Author

Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:35 am

Well I'm back.

The procedure was okay - a bit uncomfortable but nothing too bad. Unfortunately though they did find a white spot so they've biopsied it and now I wait. Because of Christmas I won't know until the 30th of January - unless it is bad enough to need immediate treatment - then they'll call me in the week starting the 12th of Jan. So all things considered not the news I was hoping for.

They said it looked quite early if it's a pre-cancerous lesion but it could also be inflammation or something minor like that. I think they're heading toward it being CIN I though. If it's CIN II or above that's when they'll get me in for immediate treatment. The word hysterectomy was used at one point and that had me pretty scared - but from what I can gather that's fairly far down the treatment track.

Anyway, I guess all I can do is wait!

erinjb
Eckylicious
Eckylicious

Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:17 pm

Hi Merrin,

I've had CIN 2 lesions before and the surgery to remove them is so simple.... it's done under a general anaesthetic (although if you are really against this, it could be done under local/sedation) .... ask your doctor for LLETZ (large loop extraction of transformation zone) rather than burning or freezing the cells away as they can then check the perimeter of the tissue removed to make sure it was all taken away. Obviously there are risks with all surgeries, but it's simple procedure, a day or two off work, you might get a bit of cramping (although that might have been from the D&C), but most of my side effects were from the general anaesthetic. You will probably have to have 3 monthly or 6 monthly pap smears for a while, and another colposcopy, but apart from that, if the lesion wasn't caused by something like HPV, then it's unlikely you'll have this problem again :)

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

ps. The worst part of the colpscopy is having your girl bits raised up to your doctors eye height, then they try to make small talk!!!!

Merrin1
Waiting for May
Waiting for May
Topic Author

Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:44 pm

So I'm back from the Sydney Cancer Centre today and I'm all clear!!! I got the pap smear results in the mail a few days ago and they were negative (3rd negative pap smear in six months) so this morning was just the biopsy results and they were negative too - nothing at all - there was definitely a visible whitemark during the colposcopy so they said it looks like it was just inflammation or something because there is absolutely nothing abnormal about my cervix!! She even said I had been overinvestigated - which I figured was the case but at least I can breathe easy now - this has put soooooo much stress on FH and I. It has really upset me and had me worried for six weeks now! So I think this definitely calls for - :bdance: :bdance: :bdance: :bdance: :bdance: :bdance:

Tink08
Accidentally In Love
Accidentally In Love

Re: Colposcopy **Updated Results**

Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:39 pm

Last edited by Tink08 on Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Merrin1
Waiting for May
Waiting for May
Topic Author

Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:42 pm

Sure is! Happy days!!! :D

Kattus
bridezilla in disguise
bridezilla in disguise

Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:18 pm

woo hoo!!! :bdance: :bdance: :bdance:

craigs girl
The Bandit
The Bandit

Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:21 pm

Great news hun, you must be over the moon!

nic0985
QB ♥ BD
QB ♥ BD

Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:35 pm

Thats fantastic news, glad to hear it!!! Thank goodness!!!

:bdance: :bdance: :bdance: :bdance: :bdance: :bdance:

Kwitty
Princess Kwits
Princess Kwits

Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:34 pm

That's awesome Merrin!!!

mrscampbell
Domestic Goddess
Domestic Goddess

Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:51 pm

whoo hoo, thank goodness for that!

GorgeousGiggles
Aaron's Future Wife
Aaron's Future Wife

Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:42 am

That is awesome news Merrin!!! Glad to hear that you are all clear :D

Merrin1
Waiting for May
Waiting for May
Topic Author

Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:14 am

Thanks girls!! It's certainly a load off!!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.05