A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

crazychick0709
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

This topic is a bit "OUT THERE", but...

Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:31 pm

My next door neighbours cat keeps getting into my plants that I am trying to propogate for my wedding next year, and using it as a bathroom - as well is digging it all up...... anyone know of any ways in which to prevent this from happening??? otherwise, i will have nothing left, and all my hard work will be for nothing :cry:

mellyk83
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: This topic is a bit "OUT THERE", but...

Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:33 pm

There are a few things there are actually plants u can get that I saw at bunnings that say cat be gone and there is also a deterrant spray.. another thing u could do is put cat nip somewhere far away from the area u don't want them in so hopefully they will go there and not where u don't want them... sorry thats all I can think of :D

kristal
Mrs Frangi
Mrs Frangi

Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:40 am

Kill the cats??? hhahaha. Just joking!

nic0985
QB ♥ BD
QB ♥ BD

Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:52 pm

Kristal!! Im shocked!! :lol: kidding...

Im a cat person... a great deterrant for them doing things they shouldnt is vinegar. That might not have the greatest effect on your plants though, so if possible, how about covering the soil with platic/tarp and sprinkling a few drops on it? That would only work if the plants are quite largish at this stage...

If you bust them in the act, a squirt from a squirter bottle should do the job. Not the hose though. Your neighbours may throw a tanty over that...

KateM
It's between Me and Steve McQueen
It's between Me and Steve McQueen

Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:54 pm

Cats (mostly) don't like citrus scents so if you bury citrus peel around the plats or spray they with citrus water it might help.

kelz3192
I survived and got married

Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:01 pm

nic0985 wrote:

Im a cat person... a great deterrant for them doing things they shouldnt is vinegar. That might not have the greatest effect on your plants though, so if possible, how about covering the soil with platic/tarp and sprinkling a few drops on it? That would only work if the plants are quite largish at this stage...

Vinegar works really well, so does pepper but as nic said I've got no idea what it will do to plants

Little_Miss
He's my Sunshine
He's my Sunshine

Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:52 pm

Yeah try black pepper. We used to put it around our windowsill and door step to keep the horny cats away from our indoor cat.

jemima23
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:27 pm

i've seen friend's mum's garden with weird green jelly stuff in it... it was from a garden place (like bunnings or something) and was suppose to be a deterrent... not sure if it worked or not, but better for the plants than vinegar...

ETA - I googled it and got some garden forum http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/loa ... 27835.html
http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf000978.tip.html
http://www.howtodothings.com/pets-anima ... ted-plants

suggestions for putting rocks down or pine cones... (clever garden ppl!)

good luck

Shoggs

Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:54 pm

Cats hate nappy san, sprinke some around and that will get rid of them. It's fine for your garden too

kylieac

Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:55 pm

i sooooo misread your post and thought you said it was your neighbour not their cat that was using it as a toilet. I was just going to say you had a weirdo living next door :e_wall:

Ms_Kase
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri May 08, 2009 6:23 pm

Citronella, and citrus peel (as someone suggested before)
My cat used to try to eat citrus peel though (the idiot), so maybe it won't work, but it least you won't an angry knock on the door and accusations of kitticide from your neighbour if the nongin' does decide to eat it!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.21