A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

StephMT
Can't wait to set a date
Can't wait to set a date
Topic Author

Weekly Shop - Glory box

Wed May 06, 2009 4:35 pm

I am currently living at home and are slowly collecting things for my glory box. I was wondering if you could help me creat a list of items that wont go off ( may not leave home for up to 2 years) of stuff that I can buy for the home that you would normally pick up in a weekly shop that wont go off.

My ideas so far :
Cling wrap
Alfoil
Freezer bags
Baking paper
Cleaning products (do these have an expiry?)
Washing powder (do these have an expiry?)
Detergent (do these have an expiry?)
Sponges
Chux ( do these go funny and start to fall apart?)

Please add your ideas. I want to be as prepared as possible and pick up things on special along the way. My friend told me her 1st shopping bill was about 700 and that freaked me out 8O because she bought all this little stuff that added up fast.

jemima23
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: Weekly Shop - Glory box

Wed May 06, 2009 4:40 pm

I think you have most things there... my first shop was only about $200 though... so I wonder what your friend bought??!!

I would make sure I have all the traditional Glory box items too like sheets, towels etc...

2yrs is a long time... I'm sure you'll get everything you need and maybe even too much by then!!!

StephMT
Can't wait to set a date
Can't wait to set a date
Topic Author

Wed May 06, 2009 4:53 pm

She bought absolutely everything - meat, cleaning products, sauce, flour, sugar, rice, pasta, salt and pepper - things like that - 2kgs of sugar that will last forever but you always have in the pantry. She has absolutely nothing in the way of food and bought everything that day, hence making it so expensive

3beautifulbabes
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed May 06, 2009 5:00 pm

You could get things like toilet brush, mop, broom, bucket etc
Paper towels
Toilet paper
Shampoo
Conditioner
Soap
Toothpaste

~abstar~
Formerly known as Abbie_2010
Formerly known as Abbie_2010

Wed May 06, 2009 5:31 pm

Pegs
Washing Basket
Cotton Buds
Cotton Balls
Tissues

More Traditional stuff
teatowels
towels
handtowels
facewashers
Glasses
Iron
Toaster
Kettle

StephMT
Can't wait to set a date
Can't wait to set a date
Topic Author

Wed May 06, 2009 5:34 pm

3beautifulbabes wrote:
Paper towels
Toilet paper
Shampoo
Conditioner
Soap
Toothpaste

Do these things have an expiry date? "I'm assuming the paper might start to get yellow after a while

3beautifulbabes
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed May 06, 2009 7:19 pm

Ive never seen an expiry date on any of them that i can think of

mrscampbell
Domestic Goddess
Domestic Goddess

Wed May 06, 2009 7:21 pm

I would just put $10 a week into a high interest savings account instead. In 2 years you'll over $1000 to get everything you need.

lila86

Wed May 06, 2009 10:15 pm

mrscampbell wrote:
I would just put $10 a week into a high interest savings account instead. In 2 years you'll over $1000 to get everything you need.

That's a great idea! And much more practical than having to store all of that stuff for the next two years. 8O

StephMT
Can't wait to set a date
Can't wait to set a date
Topic Author

Wed May 06, 2009 10:54 pm

Oh I'm doing that too - Just thought if I saw some things on special along the way I'd pick them up (I've seen some towels for like $2 so I gobbled them up)

Little_Miss
He's my Sunshine
He's my Sunshine

Thu May 07, 2009 12:29 am

I have been collecting stuff for my glory box since I was 17 (now 21 and moving out next yr). I bought all the kitchen stuff like pots, pans, dinner sets, then all the little kitchen utencils from wooden spoons to pizza cutters and strainers. I also have collected a whole bunch of linen, towels, tea towels (can never have too many of those!), bed sheets etc. If you get those roller boxes that are stackable it's excellent! I have 7 piled ontop of one another with my stuff and they take up so little room behind our computer room door.

I wouldn't be getting things like paper towels etc until closer to the moving out date though cos they might discolour or get eaten by something that might crawl into where you are storing them. You just never know. I'd be stocking up on the things that you will definately need when you have your home. So bath/bed linen and kitchen wares. Nothing electrical though.

StephMT
Can't wait to set a date
Can't wait to set a date
Topic Author

Thu May 07, 2009 9:09 am

Little_Miss wrote:
I have been collecting stuff for my glory box since I was 17 (now 21 and moving out next yr). I bought all the kitchen stuff like pots, pans, dinner sets, then all the little kitchen utencils from wooden spoons to pizza cutters and strainers. I also have collected a whole bunch of linen, towels, tea towels (can never have too many of those!), bed sheets etc. If you get those roller boxes that are stackable it's excellent! I have 7 piled ontop of one another with my stuff and they take up so little room behind our computer room door.

I wouldn't be getting things like paper towels etc until closer to the moving out date though cos they might discolour or get eaten by something that might crawl into where you are storing them. You just never know. I'd be stocking up on the things that you will definately need when you have your home. So bath/bed linen and kitchen wares. Nothing electrical though.

I'm up to 4 at the moment!

alwayz_shopping
Straddie Super Bride
Straddie Super Bride

Thu May 07, 2009 9:18 am

Cleaning products have an expiry date, especially things like bleach. There are lots of little things you forget you need when you move out, plugs for the sink, can opener, dish drainer etc. I would recommend stocking up on tupperware now, they last forever but are quite expensive for the initial outlay.

jazzie
♥ His Chook ♥
♥ His Chook ♥

Thu May 07, 2009 10:44 am

alwayz_shopping wrote:
Cleaning products have an expiry date, especially things like bleach. There are lots of little things you forget you need when you move out, plugs for the sink, can opener, dish drainer etc. I would recommend stocking up on tupperware now, they last forever but are quite expensive for the initial outlay.

Tupperware is definately a good idea!

71TSS
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu May 07, 2009 12:15 pm

Fly spray. There's normally a never ending strream of bugs that need killing when you move into a new place.

kerryn
Maxi's Missus
Maxi's Missus

Thu May 07, 2009 12:30 pm

Go to Bunnings and get stuff like dustpans, brooms, rubbish bins and that sort of stuff. Heaps cheaper than the supermarket.

StephMT
Can't wait to set a date
Can't wait to set a date
Topic Author

Thu May 07, 2009 12:36 pm

71TSS wrote:
Fly spray. There's normally a never ending strream of bugs that need killing when you move into a new place.

That made me LOL

StephMT
Can't wait to set a date
Can't wait to set a date
Topic Author

Thu May 07, 2009 12:36 pm

kerryn wrote:
Go to Bunnings and get stuff like dustpans, brooms, rubbish bins and that sort of stuff. Heaps cheaper than the supermarket.

HOLY CRAP Kerryn! Look at your ticker OMG

MrsKo2b

Thu May 07, 2009 1:13 pm

For cheaper toiletries like pads, cotton buds, cotton wool, etc I normally go to "the warehouse" discount shop, similar shops include crazy clarkes & discount shops.

kerryn
Maxi's Missus
Maxi's Missus

Thu May 07, 2009 1:20 pm

StephMT wrote:
kerryn wrote:

HOLY CRAP Kerryn! Look at your ticker OMG

I know! I can't believe how fast its come!!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.26