emylou55
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author

Bush Fire Season

Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:53 pm

Hi Gals,
'
Just wondering if there is other people out there who are concerned about being affected by bush fires this summer?
We are in Chirnside Park and in a rather built up estate but would def be under ember attack if the fires came to wonga park, coldstream or warrandyte. Am i the only crazy person worrying about this? FH thinks im nuts!!

Mrs Mel
Formerly known as homestead brides
Formerly known as homestead brides

Re: Bush Fire Season

Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:00 pm

Yep, I'm concerned about this fire season even though we live in a very rural place and don't have bush around us, there are still thousands of acres around us that have grass & stubble buildup that fire would just race through.

I am going to buy a small plastic container with a lid and place in it:
Our birth certificates & marriage certificates
Copies of all cards in our wallets
Change of clothes & underwear for us
torch
CD's with photos
so that if we need to leave in a hurry we can just grab the container and run.

bonnyh
Mrs BOOny P.
Mrs BOOny P.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:12 pm

We had fire in our front yard on the 7th of feb, (we still have brunt leaves on trees)
So Yes! we've already have a fire plan in place and we went on the CFA website and they told us our house is not defendable 8O
We always take our back ups down to DH's work and we'll just go if need be,
We had to leave 3 times last summer

ETA we don't keep any important paper work in our house over summer it all goes to my Aunty's 2 suburbs over.

chellebelle
♥ baby on board! ♥
♥ baby on board! ♥

Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:17 pm

I like in suburbia, but right on the edge of it, surrounded by farms and bushland. We were a couple of hours from the Victorian bushfires last year but they were so bad we still had ash in our yard! 8O
We have a rather simple fire plan in place: grab the pets, grab my laptop (it has all our photos on it) and head out to the RAAF base where FH works.

*Riss*
Happiness Forever
Happiness Forever

Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:49 am

Yes, it is very worrying but despite what the media says the fire authorities are so much more prepared

bonnyh
Mrs BOOny P.
Mrs BOOny P.

Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:54 am

russa1 wrote:
Yes, it is very worrying but despite what the media says the fire authorities are so much more prepared

SO true, From the meetings we've been too and the stuff going on around the town, they are far more prepared and ready this year.
Everyone is on high alert this year, the houses in my area are far "cleaner and clearer this year"
I also think the DES and the CFA don't want us to become complacent so they are making sure the media and everyone pushes the issue that this "might" happen again and they want people to have a fire plan they can just use.
Ours is easy Get out,

I owe my house and everything in it to the CFA.

Loz_85
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:37 am

My dad's a Fire fighter. So we've always had plans for bushfires & point blankly yep - the best is to get out.

Having said that, if put in the situation - I'd be running around stir crazy trying to grab all my posessions - So it's a good idea to think about it & what you REALLY need to grab...

chellebelle wrote:
We have a rather simple fire plan in place: grab the pets, grab my laptop (it has all our photos on it) and head out to the RAAF base where FH works.

That's much like mine. Your pets & photo's.

I didn't see much of my Dad in Feb as he was down in Victoria for weeks helping out with Black Saturday fires! (we live in Southern Sydney). Such terrbile losses happened down there!

ruby_rach

Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:59 am

We live in a bushfire prone area too, and we have a plan in place... I go, FH stays and defends the property. I grab the animals (we will put the reptiles into their travel containers at the first sign of trouble so they're ready to go), grab the laptop and get the classic cars to safety, sacrificing the everyday cars. I would like to grab some of my more expensive clothes too, haha. Depends on the urgency.

We have a major river running through our property, and we have a sprinkler system set up using the old irrigation pump so provided the river is flowing, we should be able to save the house. And we got our firebreaks done just before fire restrictions came in. We've also got a lot of family in the CFA, so we're in good hands.

gingingirl
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:56 am

We used to have one at the farm... Open all the gates on the farm so the cattle could get away, have the sprinklers on around the house, get the dogs & cats & the horses and go!

In Kalgoorlie we're in the 'burbs and there's f**k all to burn really so I'm not too worried here :)

chellebelle
♥ baby on board! ♥
♥ baby on board! ♥

Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:19 pm

FH just told me they've updated the fire boards on the air force base. The highest is now not 'extreme danger', it's 'catastrophic' 8O I have no idea if that is somebody trying to be funny.

bonnyh
Mrs BOOny P.
Mrs BOOny P.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:54 pm

chellebelle wrote:
FH just told me they've updated the fire boards on the air force base. The highest is now not 'extreme danger', it's 'catastrophic' 8O I have no idea if that is somebody trying to be funny.

Nah its been like that for a while now
for about 2-3months

b2k
Formerly known as bergette
Formerly known as bergette

Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:28 pm

I don't think you should have any worried in Churnside park. My brother in law recently (like a month ago) moved to Wonga Park. He and his wife spent ages researching the area before deciding it is cleared and cleaned up enough to live in (the wife is a forensic scientist who worked in areas that the fires went through identifying the bodies......). Warrandyte they ruled out though due to the higher risk.

My family survived the ash Wednesday fires (lost half the house and my grandpa ended up with 3rd degree burns and a bravery award for saving many people - the wind changed trapping them in so they stayed in the neighbours pool and the fire went over the top of them). Every year my grandparents packed up all their documents and items they wanted saving and left it at relatives house for the summer. They sold up 4 years ago and moved from the area.

I think people are on high alert and anxious going into summer which is not good. Good to be alert but not to stay awake worrying! I would say it is highly unlikely that we will have fires like that again for a few decades. With all the rain we have had the last month or so, the vegetation is growing and green and thus less fuel to the fire.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.49