A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

sidonie
Little Miss Pearl
Little Miss Pearl

Re: DYP needs help movin to Brisbane & other Brisbane related Qs

Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:59 pm

Yeah i'm super lucky...I live a 5 minute walk from Holland Park West bus station....it's about 10 mins into Southbank where I work

drinkyoupretty
little red dot in oz
little red dot in oz

Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:59 pm

sidonie wrote:
Yeah i'm super lucky...I live a 5 minute walk from Holland Park West bus station....it's about 10 mins into Southbank where I work

Keep an eye out for rental signs around your area :lol:

sidonie
Little Miss Pearl
Little Miss Pearl

Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:13 pm

Just PM'd you with a few Realestate.com.au ads..theyre all really close to either holland park west or greenslopes bus station

chellebelle
♥ baby on board! ♥
♥ baby on board! ♥

Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:38 pm

I loved when we lived at Holland Park! I'd probably choose to live somewhere there if it was my choice (money allowing, of course)

A bit random, but when we were at Market Square the other night I thought of DYP and MrsKo! (Its where the restaurants are that have been mentioned).

drinkyoupretty
little red dot in oz
little red dot in oz

Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:59 pm

Someone mentioned Sherwood earlier in this thread.. what do you think of this rental?
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-h ... -404966376

Is it only available in March, and is pet friendly and fully fenced - PERFECT! ETA: Actually, not so perfect. I need to find something that's available in Feb, so that DH has somewhere to send the furbabies to!

ETA: Yoiks I just realised it's $380/week! :?

christabelle
C-WOWW
C-WOWW
Topic Author

Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:45 pm

drinkyoupretty wrote:
ETA: Yoiks I just realised it's $380/week! :?

unless you want a townhouse in Bris, I don't think it's realistic to expect to rent a house in Brisbane in a decent area for under $400 a week. The money you're saving in rent you'll be spending in public transport commuting too and from the city. eg from memory a 5 zone ticket (about 20kms from town) is about $55 a week for an adult. I'm now 3 zones from town and it's $35 a week so keep that in mind when looking that while you might be saving on rent, you're spending it on transport prices which just increased as of 1 Jan.

Darens Girl

Re:

Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:18 pm

Last edited by Darens Girl on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chellebelle
♥ baby on board! ♥
♥ baby on board! ♥

Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:36 pm

DYP, you should also look at Carindale and Carina! DH used to live there and it was a really nice area and a pretty quick trip in to the city (even during peak hour). I'm not sure about how long the buses take though, as I used to be lazy and drive.

drinkyoupretty
little red dot in oz
little red dot in oz

Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:55 pm

Thanks Chelle, those two are in my shortlist :)

I think I have managed to convince tight-ar$e DH that we might have to pay up to $380 to get a rental with less commute to city. This has opened up so much more betterer properties, it's amazing!

Lozzie
♥ Hopeless Romantic ♥
♥ Hopeless Romantic ♥

Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:27 pm

Last edited by Lozzie on Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

sidonie
Little Miss Pearl
Little Miss Pearl

Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:43 pm

Yup Chelle Carina etc has good buses into the city etc and it's near some train stations if you wanna park and ride as well

drinkyoupretty
little red dot in oz
little red dot in oz

Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:41 pm

OMG Maybe I should rule out Runcorn???? 8O

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/819 ... -for-money

Darens Girl

Re:

Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:06 pm

Last edited by Darens Girl on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zoltansprincess
Ebay Addict
Ebay Addict

Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:16 pm

the first house we ever rented was in Carina and we loved it. The only con was that the busses in the morning took a while (40 min in peak time) given that Carina isn't far from the city. Apart from this its a lovely suburb, older wooden houses, good schools (public and private), 5 min to westfield carindale shopping centre, little local shops/and a few local restaurants that are nice, nice demographic, lots of busses during the day either from suburban streets or Old Cleveland Road (the main road that runs through Carina). All in all it was a great place to raise a family though house prices were creeping up even then so rent maybe on the higher side.

drinkyoupretty
little red dot in oz
little red dot in oz

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:25 am

I've just realised that we would need to buy a whole new wardrobe as we have almost NO winter clothes! 8O
How exciting... :lol:

We are really looking forward to change in seasons. DH was squealing in the car this morning that he would most likely be arriving around end of Feb, March where the weather would be nice and cool. *squeal*

jaynage
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:27 am

drinkyoupretty wrote:
I've just realised that we would need to buy a whole new wardrobe as we have almost NO winter clothes! 8O
How exciting... :lol:

We are really looking forward to change in seasons. DH was squealing in the car this morning that he would most likely be arriving around end of Feb, March where the weather would be nice and cool. *squeal*

Guess again! :lol: It generally stays hot and humid well through March and into the start of April. I think last year, we had quite a few days in March where the temp was hotter than in the height of summer!

I wouldn't go crazy with a winter wardrobe. We do get some cold days, but for the most part, my winter wardrobe is just my summer wardrobe + jacket, stockings, jeans, etc. You might find it a bit colder though, being used to NT weather.

drinkyoupretty
little red dot in oz
little red dot in oz

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:31 am

Jaynage I have "tropical skin". I was there in April and I wore a coat for most of my trip! :oops:

There have been many times, for example in Newcastle, where people have said "Oh what a warm day, let's go to the beach!" so we drive to the beach and I've got a jacket and scarf on, shivering my butt off, while everyone else are in their bathers and jumping into the ocean!

But I get what you're saying and it's actually another big reason why we chose Brisbane - not too hot and not too cold. :tick:

chellebelle
♥ baby on board! ♥
♥ baby on board! ♥

Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:58 pm

DYP, Newcastle is colder then what I thought! I thought I'd be fine here, but I'm the same as you. I freeze for a good portion of the year here. I'm a huge wuss though :lol: I also froze in Brisbane winter, but again - I'm a wuss.

drinkyoupretty
little red dot in oz
little red dot in oz

Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:04 pm

Do you fly back to BNE much, Chelle? Another big reason why we like Brisbane is because it's cheaper to fly to Newie so DH's family are closer.

chellebelle
♥ baby on board! ♥
♥ baby on board! ♥

Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:14 pm

We mostly go back for longer trips a few times a year so we drive (cos I like having the car up there to go visit everyone). But we're going to start flying more now, cos I'm completely sick of road trips. Gotta love $59 tickets!! It's a pretty good flight too. It's not much closer then Sydney, but it feels like heaps shorter because you don't have to wait a year to taxi out like you do in Sydney.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.1