A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

tasbride2011
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Help moving to Melbourne??

Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:02 pm

Hi all,

After seeing the help people gave on the 'DYP moving to Brisbane' thread, I'm hoping some Melbournians might be able to help me here! FH and I are moving to Melbourne as soon as we can after our wedding and honeymoon in March. Mainly for better job opportunities - he is a Chartered Accountant and I'm in marketing. The thing is, I have no idea where to start! It's sort of too early to be applying for jobs (I think?) as I imagine the soonest we would be able to get over there would be late April. Also, I'm confused about what to do first - we want to buy a house and I don't know whether to find a house and then a job or the other way round.

I guess the main thing I'm unsure about at the moment is which suburbs we should be looking in. I'm guessing we will be more likely to move to western suburbs, as we will be able to afford a nicer house in those sorts of areas. We're probably looking around $400-450k and will want 2 or 3 bedrooms. Can anyone help with which suburbs to look at/avoid and stuff like that?

Sorry if I've forgotten some useful information, I've never moved interstate before and have no idea what I'm doing! :D Thanks in advance for your help!

Darens Girl

Re:

Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:04 pm

Last edited by Darens Girl on Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mandamoo
Princess Moo
Princess Moo

Re: Help moving to Melbourne??

Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:07 pm

mrsko wrote:
I was thinking perhaps it'll be a good idea to rent first to get a feel of the suburb you want?

I agree...I am not a fan of the western burbs....but I have grown up in the sth eastern areas...and have lived in the eastern and nth burbs.

Depends on if you want to work in the city or the burbs as well?

Daughter
To infinity and beyond...

Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:16 pm

mandamoo wrote:
mrsko wrote:
I was thinking perhaps it'll be a good idea to rent first to get a feel of the suburb you want?

I agree...I am not a fan of the western burbs....but I have grown up in the sth eastern areas...and have lived in the eastern and nth burbs.

Depends on if you want to work in the city or the burbs as well?

Same here, grew up in south eastern area and am not the biggest fan of the western suburbs but I think they've gotten better, particularly the newer areas.

*Riss*
Happiness Forever
Happiness Forever

Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:18 pm

^As above. I am also not a fan at all of the western suburbs. I have lived in the eastern, western and northern suburbs of Melbourne. We currently live north east of Melbourne and it's 16km's from the city, the average house price is probably over what you mentioned although there are lots of new affordable estates in Melbourne - South Morang, Mernda, Doreen, Berwick, Cragieburn etc which are more in that price range. I also think it would be a good idea to rent for a while and suss out the areas you like. Good luck!! :D

b2k
Formerly known as bergette
Formerly known as bergette

Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:07 pm

I grew up SE and now live East/North East. I would not live in the western suburbs. That said i know it is cheaper over there and a lot of new estates, but there are still a lot of issues that need cleaning up.
Depending how far out you would like to live? I grew up SE Beaconsfield/Berwick area. I love Beaconsfield, however it was too far out for me when i work in the CBD (hour train ride).

drinkyoupretty
little red dot in oz
little red dot in oz

Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:37 pm

Good idea Tasbride! I don't know what I would have done if the Brisbane WCers didn't help me out!

We are doing the renting first and then eventually buying, just so we know which suburbs are better than others, etc. We won't know until we've lived there for 6-12months.

We initially waited around for one of us to get a job but after 7 months of applying - I only had one call back! We believe it could be due to the fact that 1) we're in Darwin and 2) we had no fixed date to say "yup we'll be in Brisbane from (whatever date) and ready to come in for an interview/start" IYKWIM.

So the plan is, I will move down first, DH will continue preparing the house for sale, hopefully the house sells in the first few weeks of going on the market. The moment I get a job, DH can resign and once the house sells, he'll move down (unless the agent can spruce the house/garden up without additional costs). That way, there'll always be at least one income coming in. Once I secure a job, I can confirm a rental property. Until then, I will stay with a family friend.

noihsaf

Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:48 pm

Hi

How exciting !!!

Im originally from tassie, my partner and i moved to melbourne about 3 1/2 years ago and luv it!

We live in the south eastern suburbs this was decided after we had a job.

I applied for jobs before moving and to avoid the address issue that potential employers may have ( ie tassie address on resume) i put a friends address in melbourne on my resume, then flew over to melb for my interviews, costly but cheaper than living in melb without a job.

Once i was offered the job, packed up and moved to melb stayed with a friend then at a private room backpackers til found a rental place which was only a week. We looked at places within my work area.

stressful at times but it will work its way out

goodluck :D

Jennalee84
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:04 pm

I agree with others here about the western suburbs of Melb. I think are plenty of nicer parts of Melbourne where you should find something within your budget. Melbourne is huge!!! I also agree with looking at renting before buying and perhaps waiting to see where your new job is located before comitting to an area. It would suck if you lived in the western suburbs, but then got a job on the side of town!!

My parents moved us from tassie to Melb when I was in primary school for similar reasons to you and rented a place until they got permanent jobs, then they bought in the same suburb.

I'm also in the northern suburbs (and have been in the area for 16 years) and love it. Good luck!!!

Daughter

Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:37 pm

bergette wrote:
I grew up SE and now live East/North East. I would not live in the western suburbs. That said i know it is cheaper over there and a lot of new estates, but there are still a lot of issues that need cleaning up.
Depending how far out you would like to live? I grew up SE Beaconsfield/Berwick area. I love Beaconsfield, however it was too far out for me when i work in the CBD (hour train ride).

My parents live in Narre Warren North, and FH's in Hallam, right near the above mentioned suburbs, all of which I think are lovely. It would depend on if you intended to work in the city though and how far you wanted to travel.

kaitos811
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:49 pm

It really depends on what you can afford, there is nothing wrong with the Western suburbs. I used to live in the north and loved it (so close to everything), and then moved to the western suburbs when we bought a house and we love it here too! We've got everything we want here and all so close.

Just depends on your budget, if you want a big 2 bedroom apartment/townhouse in the west or the same in the east but 10-15 kms further out

bronmelbourne
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:01 pm

kaitos811 wrote:
It really depends on what you can afford, there is nothing wrong with the Western suburbs. I used to live in the north and loved it (so close to everything), and then moved to the western suburbs when we bought a house and we love it here too! We've got everything we want here and all so close.

Just depends on your budget, if you want a big 2 bedroom apartment/townhouse in the west or the same in the east but 10-15 kms further out

Agreed! While there's some western suburbs I would steer clear of, there's also some northern, eastern and south eastern suburbs that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole! I moved to Melbourne about 7 years ago from the country, I've lived in inner city, northern, eastern and western suburbs and think that so much depends on what your priorities are and whether you're looking for something for a long term or short term (eg there's some suburbs that would be great for a couple, but probably not so great to raise a family in).

It can take forever to get from one side of Melbourne to the other though so you'd probably be better off either getting a job first or renting for a start before looking at buying.

tasbride2011
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:53 am

Wow.. thank you so much for all of your help!! Heaps of replies so I'll go through the main 'themes' rather than trying to respond to everyone individually! Okay..

I forgot to say my sister lives in Melbourne so we can stay with her until we find a place, they have lots of room. The main reason I was a little wary about renting is we have a dog and a cat, both inside animals, and I don't want to have to board them or something like that for however long we would be renting.. I would want to take them with us. I guess there might be some rentals that accept animals though.

Thanks to those who mentioned suburbs, I will have a look at them. It's likely we would both be working in the city, we have been keeping an eye on jobs in both of our fields and most of them have been CBD based. We would use public transport, but probably wouldn't want a commute of more than about 40 minutes each way. (Would that be okay to assume, or should I be thinking a longer commute? - it takes me 7 minutes to drive to work here in Tassie :P )

DYP - good idea with one of you moving before the other.. I think FH could probably organise a transfer (he works for a very large company) - he doesn't really want to keep working for them but it would probably be the easiest way for us to move, at least he would be guaranteed a job, then when we're both settled he could look for another one.

We are also thinking this is sort of short-term, we have a house here that we love and we're not selling it, we are going to rent it out - it's the house we want to raise our family in when we start trying in 3-4 years. So another thing we would need to consider about the area we buy (in Melbourne) is that when we've finished with it in 3-4 years and ready to move back to Tassie, it will be a good house/location to rent out. So the plan is we live in Melb and rent out Tassie, then move back to Tassie and rent out Melb.

Lol.. I'm still so confused :) also wish we could just have our wedding now so we can go! I'm sick of searching for jobs and not finding anything anywhere here :roll: not cool..

mocks2

Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:33 pm

You don't have to move to the west what about outta east like Croydon or Mooroolbark? There is some great value homes out there but it all depends on where you will be working. There are buses and the lilydale train line out that way aswell :)
GZIP: On | Load: 0.35